LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   A/C, Heating and Ventilation (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/)
-   -   Another Air Conditioning question (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/another-air-conditioning-question-460290/)

not-a-number 08-07-2018 09:45 PM

Another Air Conditioning question

Just bought an 05 Elise with no aircon.

50 Psi pressure (on a refill kit gauge, have a better low and high pressure gauge coming)
Pump clicks and rpm changes
It will go from ambient to hot (implying the vent is moving)
Turning the aircon though stays ambient

Question is. If it is at 50 psi does that mean Im good for refrigerant?
If its going from ambient to hot does that mean the flap is moving?

I havnt added any refrigerant yet.

Sorry to ask the same old question but I havnt found the same situation through search.

exigegus 08-08-2018 03:52 AM

What does it read when the AC is off? In hot weather it would be higher than that

50 PSI at idle would not be unusual, but it should drop as you rev it up to something in the 30's or 20s

You do need both gauges to truly knwo what is going on

lotus72Eur 08-08-2018 05:14 AM

If the low side is reading 50 with the car running and the ac compressor engaged you most likely are over charged. First I would make sure that the compressor is engaging. Look at the compressor to ensure that it is turning. Not just the outer ring but the inner ring. If not it might be a bad compressor clutch. Dual gauges are you best tool to find the problem.

not-a-number 08-08-2018 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exigegus (Post 5878868)
What does it read when the AC is off? In hot weather it would be higher than that

50 PSI at idle would not be unusual, but it should drop as you rev it up to something in the 30's or 20s

You do need both gauges to truly knwo what is going on

With engine off, 50psi. With engine at idle, 50psi. I didnt go above idle.
Ill try it again once I have the dual gauges.

The rpm changes as expected when engaged. Speeds up when disengage etc. Ill try physically see it.

Can a system go from being correctly charged (or atleast working) to being over charged by itself?

exigegus 08-08-2018 06:39 AM

50 psi static pressure is low, it should be more like 80 when not running at ~75 degrees.

your idle goes up, but your compressor is probably not running

not-a-number 08-08-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exigegus (Post 5878902)
50 psi static pressure is low, it should be more like 80 when not running at ~75 degrees.

your idle goes up, but your compressor is probably not running

Can the compressor clutch be engaged and the pump be 'running' but not actually pumping? Even if it has refrigerant?

Do you know what the factory quantity and pressure should be?

exigegus 08-09-2018 04:14 AM

Weight is in the shop manual

something like 22 ounces

there is no factory pressure.

Like I said 50 psi is low for static pressure, which depends on ambient temp.

You need to rev it up to 2000 rpm or so to see if the pressure drops from compressor function

If you are not comfortable, bring it to a shop

Patiotray 08-10-2018 05:10 AM

Also, flap may move to heat but get stuck moving to AC. My car had this issue when I bought it. Spent a lot of time and money recharging system only to learn flap was problem all along.