A/C compressor issues 05 Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

A/C compressor issues 05 Elise

The ac in my car currently is not working. Here are a few notes:

1. I checked the fuses related to the A/C in the front of the car and in the passenger side footwell, and they were both good.
2. The fan turns on, so i don't believe it's a problem with the relay.
3. The blue light on the button for the a/c turns on and off as if it was working. However, the car does not raise the RPMs when clicking the button
4. If I give power to the compressor directly, the clutch engages and cold air comes out (just put AC gas in the car).
5. Checked to see if the plug that goes to the compressor had power, and there was nothing

Anyone with similar issues??? Any recommendations or possible solutions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:50 PM
Less is Better

Based on this:

"If I give power to the compressor directly, the clutch engages and cold air comes out (just put AC gas in the car)."

You're low on coolant or for some other reason not holding pressure.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 PM

Also thermostat or trinary switch are worth checking

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomas90 View Post
The ac in my car currently is not working. Here are a few notes:

1. I checked the fuses related to the A/C in the front of the car and in the passenger side footwell, and they were both good.
2. The fan turns on, so i don't believe it's a problem with the relay.
3. The blue light on the button for the a/c turns on and off as if it was working. However, the car does not raise the RPMs when clicking the button
4. If I give power to the compressor directly, the clutch engages and cold air comes out (just put AC gas in the car).
5. Checked to see if the plug that goes to the compressor had power, and there was nothing

Anyone with similar issues??? Any recommendations or possible solutions??
Yes I had similar situation like yours, So I will try to explain to you and hopefully you understand me clearly

So I did the same troubleshooting steps until I found the Relay the one located at the front next to the big fuse box

So I unplugged it and cleaned the slots from any form of dust and connected it back and I heard the Compressor clutch turned on.

The A/C worked.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the quick reply.

me73: Checked the coolant levels and was still ok, but i topped it off just in case and didn't help.

zakria: Check the two plugs on the relay and used an electrical cleaner, and the problem still exists.

exigegus: Will take a look ASAP

thanks again
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomas90 View Post
Thanks guys for the quick reply.

zakria: Check the two plugs on the relay and used an electrical cleaner, and the problem still exists.

thanks again
If you connect it directly to the A/C compressor works than it means no power reaching to it.

I think you have to bypass it

or maybe you need to take out the Compressor and check the clutch and the part inside it "Clutch Coil"

here is picture of what I mean
Attached Images

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:57 PM

AC problems are a fickle bitch. Not sure if this helps: car is a 05 with BOE supercharger and older X2 EFI. Had the same problems and troubleshooting outcomes as you. I could run a long wire from the front relay to the compressor and it would kick on. So the relay was fine. Behind the engine and under the ECU was the connector for the relay/compressor. It was only two wires and when I disconnected it I found that power from the relay was getting to the connector. I could put power to the compressor side of the connector and the ac clutch would kick on. Turned out that when the the connector was put together one of the pin would be pushed back in the housing and not make connection. I could carefully connect and make the proper connection, but sometimes it will work back to not making proper connection. I have ordered a new connector and will be replacing it.

"It always seems to be something!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in