DIY Blower Motor Resistor Pack Replacement - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 06:18 PM

That is incorrect, it is located within an enclosed chassis section with only top access.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by staggarlee View Post
Thanks. I believe I read that you can give access to a mechanic to do this via the passenger wheel well. Is that correct?
Attached Images

Last edited by SirLotus; 08-19-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Why do you need to evac the a/c system when doing this job? I am planning on doing this job soon and plan to bypass the resistor pack and have full speed only. My car finally failed VA inspection for no defrost. I never knew they checked that.
In order to get to the resistor pack you must remove the hvac unit from the car in order to remove the hvac unit you must disassemble the ac lines in order to disassemble the ac lines you must evacuate the system.

Take it to any trusty ac automotive repair shop and have them evacuate the system. The connections are in the engine bay on the right side of the car behind the passenger seat area. Have them evacuate the system.

The word "PASSION" should aways be uppercase.

#349 '05 AS Elise Touring, Hardtop, Starshield, Plinth delete, GPS Garmin 680, V1, V1 mirror, Leather console, Multivex, Alpine CDA9887, JL stealthbox, Focals, Alpine PDX 5, HID, RAC Monolites, R888's, Stage II, Front Slotted rotors, R4-S pads, Stebel nautilus, TitanQR, RLS Phone Mount, and Odyssey 925 now with bracket.
post #43 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbisbee View Post
In order to get to the resistor pack you must remove the hvac unit from the car in order to remove the hvac unit you must disassemble the ac lines in order to disassemble the ac lines you must evacuate the system.

Take it to any trusty ac automotive repair shop and have them evacuate the system. The connections are in the engine bay on the right side of the car behind the passenger seat area. Have them evacuate the system.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that I would have to remove the clam and then drive my car to get the AC evacuated with clam off. For some reason I thought the refill of AC was done in the engine compartment and the drain was under the clam. Thanks for clearing this up.

2005 StormTi, Touring Pack,Larini F1 Exhaust,Fujita Intake,Micro Mirror

post #44 of 169 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
The ratcheting crimpers are the the best, but but the price can be a bit high (I just found one on line for $200). But for normal home use you can also get by with a GOOD pair of professional crimpers. I have an old Klein hand crimper, but you can find them at any most any Home Depot or Lowe's. Klein makes professional tools for electricians, so they have them in the electrical tool section.

The Klein crimpers are pretty much a big pair of pliers that allow you to put a lot of leverage into the crimp. The crimp is wide and has the "peg" on once side that dents in the connector to make the secure connection. They really work very well, and they cost around $20. Admittedly not as good as one of the ratcheting crimpers (I have them for electronic connector - old RS-232 pins - so I do know how much better they are), but they do a more than sufficient job.

I the "old days", I used the typical hand crimpers - you know the kind; they crimp, strip, and cut bolts to length. They never did a good job, distorting the crimped connector, and often times having the wire pull out. Not so with the Klein crimper.

Here are two photos of Klein crimpers and a third of a ratcheting crimper. The first is the good kind that I've been talking about. The second is the typical type of crimper that most people try to use - the ones that don't work very well at all. (Note that the photos are not to scale - the first one is bigger and much more heavy duty than the multi-purpose tool in the middle.) The third photo is a generic ratcheting crimper - sells for around $20 (note that it squeezes the crimp but doesn't "dent" it).
[/QUOTE]

An old post I know, but obviously a good crimping job requires a good crimper and proper technique but also a good butt-connector or whatever connector you're crimping. I've bought some before that have a cheap plastic sleeve that seem to "break" when I crimp them and slide off easily... is there any brand you order online or do you have a shop nearby that you get them from (home depot, autozone, etc). I tend to pick them up wherever I happen to be at... whether it be walmart or autozone

2006 Aspen White Elise
http://projectelise.com - blogging the Elise
Ongoing Elise & Exige Price Trend Spreadsheet (OPEN SHEET IN EXCEL! Google Docs butchers it and shows errors...)
post #45 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
Sorry, in order to access the blower motor/resistor pack, many pipes and components need to be dissembled, hence evacuation is needed.
Michael
Michael
Got the 134a evacuated today by a local shop and will be attempting the direct wiring of the blower to switch this weekend bypassing the resistors.

post #46 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Got the 134a evacuated today by a local shop and will be attempting the direct wiring of the blower to switch this weekend bypassing the resistors.
Take a lot of photo's and let us know how it went.
Michael
post #47 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
May the force be with you!

The word "PASSION" should aways be uppercase.

#349 '05 AS Elise Touring, Hardtop, Starshield, Plinth delete, GPS Garmin 680, V1, V1 mirror, Leather console, Multivex, Alpine CDA9887, JL stealthbox, Focals, Alpine PDX 5, HID, RAC Monolites, R888's, Stage II, Front Slotted rotors, R4-S pads, Stebel nautilus, TitanQR, RLS Phone Mount, and Odyssey 925 now with bracket.
post #48 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 05:38 PM

Just curious how this turned out for you, mine s**t the bed on me today.
post #49 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 PM

I like to crimp and then to solder.
post #50 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctopgun View Post
Just curious how this turned out for you, mine s**t the bed on me today.
It turned out good. I'd say it took me 20 total hours but I went very slowly. Look at my post at the end of this thread on what I did and for some pictures.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313...h-issue-80925/

post #51 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbronco View Post
I've bought some before that have a cheap plastic sleeve that seem to "break" when I crimp them and slide off easily... is there any brand you order online or do you have a shop nearby that you get them from (home depot, autozone, etc). I tend to pick them up wherever I happen to be at... whether it be walmart or autozone
I tend to remove the "cheap plastic sleeve" and crimp the "raw" metal onto the wires. But before I crimp, I slip on the shrink sleeve tubing. Then when crimped, I cover the crimp with the shrink sleeve and heat up the sleeving - sealing up the joint.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
post #52 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Near the beginning there is a post of the three resistor values. One is 0.05. However in the diagram a few post down that resistor has a value of 0.5. Mouser does not list the 0.05. Is that number incorrect and should have been 0.5?

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop

Last edited by hroundy; 09-20-2010 at 05:17 PM.
post #53 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:24 PM

It is an 0.05 Ohm
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by hroundy View Post
Near the beginning there is a post of the three resistor values. One is 0.05. However in the diagram a few post down that resistor has a value of 0.5. Mouser does not list the 0.05. Is that number incorrect and should have been 0.5?
post #54 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:11 PM

Repairing Blower Motor Resistor

Anyone know where to get the three resistors other than Mouser Electronics?

They are out of stock on the:
284-HS50-0.05 and
284-HS50-0.27

I don't mind paying a few extra bucks, but the kit is $150 on "some sites"

Regards,
John
post #55 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameltoe View Post
Anyone know where to get the three resistors other than Mouser Electronics?

They are out of stock on the:
284-HS50-0.05 and
284-HS50-0.27

I don't mind paying a few extra bucks, but the kit is $150 on "some sites"

Regards,
John
mouser has a substitute part available:

71-RH50-0.05
71-RH50-0.27

the price is a little higher: 9.76 vs 4.70

also the 0.27 ohm in the HS50 shows 79 in stock now...
post #56 of 169 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:39 PM

Placed order in August for the exact parts

they will ship in november all of them......mine is still working but preparing for the worst .......that way when it does break I am ready

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #57 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:36 PM

rob13572468,
I'm just a lowly mech engineer, not electrical so there's some things I don't quite understand here. In your diagram you have a .05 and a .22 ohm resistor in series. Doesn't this equal a single .27 ohm res? Or are these 2 necessary for power dissipation? If power or heat dissipation is not an issue, it looks like this pack could be made up of 2 resistors instead of three.
The orig part you listed (.05 ohm) isn't listed by the distributor. If 2 x .27 ohm res could be used, it circumvents this problem.
Alternatively, they do list a .1 ohm and .15 ohm. These would total .25 ohms and would still be 2 res. to share power and heat. This should give slightly faster speeds 1 & 2. Am I thinking this correctly?
post #58 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:32 PM

If .05 and .22 does equal a .27 and adding .27 to another .27 creates less resistance ( so the motor has more power) then about 1/2 of this design makes sense.
post #59 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 AM

It's a confusing read but... look at the orig wiring diagram. Substitute the .05 & the .22 with a single .27 ohm. Leave the rest intact. That's what I'm talking about. Where I mention 2 x 27 ohm res's. it includes the one for low speed (for a total of 54 ohms).
post #60 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 05:13 AM

My guess is that instead of using one 0.27 ohm resistor, a 0.05 and 0.22 was used to minimize heat dissipation.
Zero resistance is for #3 speed
0.27 ohms (0.22 + 0.05) is for #2 speed
0.54 ohms (0.27 + 0.22 + 0.05) is from #1 speed
Michael

Last edited by SirLotus; 10-03-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in