Does anyone know How to fix a stripped AC / Condenser Fitting? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know How to fix a stripped AC / Condenser Fitting?

Last night while doing the Blower Motor Resistor I noticed that the fitting on the AC condenser stripped as I removed the fitting. It was coming apart hard and I think it was cross threaded from the factory. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Can I remove the condenser and have a new fitting put on the end? Is this something that a good shop could do for me? (It looks like the condenser is about $700 from lotus garage)

How could I fix the other pipe? (#4) That one is $51.40 which is not too crazy, so if need be, I can order a new one.

I miss driving my car!!!! Grrr!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
John
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:03 AM

condenser fitting repair

There are a couple things to try. There are tools specifically designed for cleaning the threads of both male and female threads. We use them in our work. Usually we have the components out of the car, on the bench, because it is easier to "feel" what you are doing. Of course you need to know the fitting thread size first. The picture of the nut looks as if it is SAE (as opposed to metric) because it does not seem to have the characteristic notches around the circumference usually found on metric fittings. If you cannot salvage enough threads on the condenser fitting you may be able to braze or tig weld a replacement. We typically use a torch to braze. If you can determine the fitting thread size I can likely find the individual tool for you (we buy in sets of 5 different sizes for SAE and 8 for metric).
BTW the cause of the problem is metal transfer from the aluminum condenser to the steel nut, not cross threading.

196? Seven - long gone
2005 Storm Titanium Elise - sold
2008 blue 2-Eleven - track toy
2011 Carbon Grey Evora S
1959 Ford Anglia project
2008 white 2-Eleven - track toy too/two

Last edited by azac; 10-15-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added comment
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:00 AM

remove the condensor and take both parts to a radiator shop. they can easily replace those fittings.

or, you can get an a/c line repair kit. http://www.dormanproducts.com/docume...00-600INST.pdf

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:09 AM

hopefully the gif image of the type of tool will appear in this post or a link ? The male part of the tool is easy to see, the female is at the other end.
Attached Images

196? Seven - long gone
2005 Storm Titanium Elise - sold
2008 blue 2-Eleven - track toy
2011 Carbon Grey Evora S
1959 Ford Anglia project
2008 white 2-Eleven - track toy too/two
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow... I am always amazed at all the talent that is on this site. Thanks a million guys! i really appreciate the help!

I think I will remove the condenser and take it to be repaired at a radiator shop. It seems like there are not enough threads left...

I wonder why they would use dissimilar metals that would react with each other like that?

Thanks!
John
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 01:41 PM

nice lift!

i remember taking clam off old elise, not fun in a dim garage and jack stands..

lift+proper lighting.. can i move in!? i hate tooling with my exige in my garage.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 02:46 PM

Looks like your lifting the car on the wrong points.

07 Exige S - PhB., TP, TP, LSD, Gotham, 2Bular Revised Header, 2Bular De-Cat, 2Bular 8x24 Burnt GT3, Cup Car Intake, 6k HID's, Schroth 4pt ASM Harnesses, Milled Steering Arms, Bronze Volk TE37, Carbon Craftsquare Mirrors, Reverie 5 Element Diffuser, Reverie Exige Race Front Spoiler, APR Canards, IMRP Side Skirts, Blackwatch Studs w/ Project Kics K40 Lugs, DBA 5000 Rotors, Goodridge lines, Sparco Wheel w/ Works Bell Quick Release.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4rkattk View Post
Looks like your lifting the car on the wrong points.
One of my lifts is the same as in the photo and that's how I lift my car. The front arms go on the underside of the extrusion on the blue stickers. On the rear arms you use a short extension (comes with the lift) and pick up the chassis right in front of the rear wheel. There's a reasonable amount of room to fit in the pad.

Edit: Yeah, it looks like the pad is being used but no extension. Perhaps some of the lifting extensions which I have seen sold here (which bolt to the tooling point on the chassis) are being used.

2005 Elise with Honda engine
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

i am using the front lift point stickers with a hockey puck to space it out a touch...

In the rear i am using the rear point that i have seen a kit of aluminum spacers sold here on the forum.... i just cut a 4x4 and used it as a spacer like I have seen them do at the lotus dealer... Is that safe? I don't want to damage the car or more importantly squish my brothers dog!

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

-John
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

here was my old method...
Attached Images

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 AM

sweet thats how mine looks right now, brake job including rotors.

07 Exige S - PhB., TP, TP, LSD, Gotham, 2Bular Revised Header, 2Bular De-Cat, 2Bular 8x24 Burnt GT3, Cup Car Intake, 6k HID's, Schroth 4pt ASM Harnesses, Milled Steering Arms, Bronze Volk TE37, Carbon Craftsquare Mirrors, Reverie 5 Element Diffuser, Reverie Exige Race Front Spoiler, APR Canards, IMRP Side Skirts, Blackwatch Studs w/ Project Kics K40 Lugs, DBA 5000 Rotors, Goodridge lines, Sparco Wheel w/ Works Bell Quick Release.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:23 PM

I was wondering how like it would take us to invent transparent aluminum.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerawong View Post
I was wondering how like it would take us to invent transparent aluminum.
you watch too much star trek.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameltoe View Post
i am using the front lift point stickers with a hockey puck to space it out a touch...

In the rear i am using the rear point that i have seen a kit of aluminum spacers sold here on the forum.... i just cut a 4x4 and used it as a spacer like I have seen them do at the lotus dealer... Is that safe? I don't want to damage the car or more importantly squish my brothers dog!

Any help would greatly be appreciated!

-John
Yea your fine, looked like you placed the arm directly infront of the rear wheel on the undertray.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 PM

Garage
Currious what was done to repair this. I just had the exact same issue. Im thinking of converting it to a different style fitting?

TheChazz.com-Freelance Photographer "LIKE" My photography:FB.com/TheChazzCom
05 Elise First Year|Winter Rebuild
| 95' Previa (Mid-Engine)LE AWD S/C
DIY: HID Install | DIY: Clear Side Signals | DIY: Headlight Restore | Composite Worx SP-1 Seat Install
Sold my Elise! R8 up next!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 AM

Bumping an old thread. This just happened to me too while doing the resistor pack fix. Threads are stripped. Looking for what was done to fix this...

Thanks in advance!
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsey View Post
Bumping an old thread. This just happened to me too while doing the resistor pack fix. Threads are stripped. Looking for what was done to fix this...

Thanks in advance!

Threads more than likely aren't stripped. As mentioned above, metal transfer from dissimilar metals. Happened to my car.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:05 PM

Bumpity Bump Bump

So, what's the verdict? Was an AC company able to fix it? Did a re-threading tool work? Did you re-weld a new fitting on? Did you suck it up and buy the $900 condenser radiator? Did you give up and decided AC wasn't worth it? Did you punch a Lotus engineer in the face for designing such an evil steel-aluminum coupling?
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 12:38 PM

One possible solution would be to replace the stock AC condenser with a Vintage Air aftermarket unit. @exigegus did this for his update of the heating/cooling ventilation system on his car found here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313...38/index2.html

It may not be a perfect factory direct fit alternative but it looks like it solves several problems along the way and is far less expensive than the factory unit. I think he may have also replace some of the hard lines with flexible hoses as well.

Here's a another summary thread on AC rework for the Eliges:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259...usions-375169/
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:09 PM

I ended up buying a replacement from elise-shop.com

The female end with the hard line I was able to chase and clean the threads. While tightening be very careful not to let the new condenser pipe with the fitting twist.

I didn't trust any shops nearby where I was staying to fix it. Especially when it's a clam off job to fix it if it began to leak lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in