Elise 2006 111R full air-con revamp possible? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Elise 2006 111R full air-con revamp possible?

It has come to a point whereby all the necessary enhancements contributes merely to marginal improvements to the coolness level of the A/C. This is the tropics and everyday is 30 degs or more in the cabin. Yes, in the dead of night as well.

I have a few months more before I will have to give up the car permanently. The only way I can possibly keep it is to totally revamp the air-con to nothing short of what a standard day to day car would be.

So if it's a no holds barred revamp. What do you guys recommend. I am talking about changing, upgrading, ripping off and slapping on any other possible systems. As long as it fits.

Btw I noticed the post 08 cars have much better cooling....apart from the thermostat, are there major differences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:57 AM
Less is Better

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:38 AM

Maybe there is an issue with your charge or your condenser or evap are clogged or? Because at 30 degrees mine works fine in TX I would say it works great up to 36C where it starts to fall behind. Have you tinted your windows and drilled out the plates in the footwell?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM

If you really want the full chill, fit the Middle East Gulf spec AC.... VOE ;-)

Arabian Elises R US
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 AM

My a/c was poor.
I found the vents in the area of the radiator were never closing.
I closed them off with racing tape and the heat AND the a/c worked better.
This was just a test and rather than getting inder the clam, i left it that way.
Just remove the grille and tape over the intake vents and see if it helps,
Then you know better what the real problem is/isnt.
Good luck, sam

'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

I do already have quite a number of things already done from the AC improvement threads:

1) Footwell Plates Removed
2) Front intake vents sealed up with tape
3) All windows fully tinted with premium solar film
4) Heater bypass done (I totally bypassed it from the engine bay, the heated water don't even get to flow alongside the doorsills to reach the front of the car)
5) Doorsill exposed panels insulated
6) Evaporator probe re-positioned (not the newer digital thermostat)

Observations:
1) Start the car in 26-28 Degrees Celsius: A/C gets really cold fast as long as car moves briskly. If car don't move, the coldness comes fast but tapers off in a matter of 10 minutes or so.
2) Start the car in 29-34 Degrees Celsius: A/C gets acceptably cold in a slightly longer time as long as car moves briskly. If car don't move, the coldness comes on (more like cool, not cold) and tapers off in a matter 5 minutes or so.
3) On highway driving at 90-120kmh, the A/C remains moderately cool at best whatever the ambient temperature is. If weather gets hot, the AC's effectiveness lowers accordingly, but is still much more bearable then when car is stationary or moving in start-stop traffic.
4) Even when I shut OFF the A/C when driving, there would be a steady stream of warm air flowing through the AC vents. This warm air stream will typically start to flow after 10-12 minutes of car moving off from rest.
5) I don't think the evaporator freezing is a problem.

So my Deductions:
1) Somewhere along the entire AC ducting, there must be a leak since warm air continues to stream in even when AC fans are OFF.
This means at all times, cold air is actually mixing with warm air.....this is disastrous.
2) Radiator/Condenser Fans are too weak to accomodate times when vehicle is stationary or in start/stop traffic. So AC coolness is affected much on such occasions.
3) Heat Soak is drastic in the front under-clam area so once again the fans are not strong enough and insulation needs to be better.

And what I think I should do:
1) Remove Front Clam
2) Full-on no holds barred insulation of all factory A/C pipings, ducting, intakes, casing, etc to isolate the entire A/C system from heat as much as possible.
3) Get better radiator/condenser fans
4) While at it, might as well install the newer digital thermostat for the evaporator

Or Any better suggestions?
Like....change car, maybe
Are the newer post'08 cars like better insulated or something.....just pondering...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:56 PM

Garage
I wouldn't call the A/C on my 2011 that great so I don't think that they improved the later cars.

2016 Ruter #31 Bus, (not Ardent) Red
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
1972 Europa S2, Lotus Yellow
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Just wondering... What if I were to install an after market under dash evaporator unit in addition to the factory system. Would the existing compressor, condenser, and pipings be able to support that. So it would be something like those gulf states Elises with dual AC units in the car.

Anyone heard of tested and proven units that can fit into the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in