ELISE AIR CONDITIONING - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

ELISE AIR CONDITIONING

Hi everyone,

I have been in love with the Lotus elise ever since I first saw it in the UK a few years ago and am currently in a position to buy one, I am a little concerned about the air conditioning, I live in Miami and decent A/C is a necesity not a luxury. I have read very little on the subject but havent been able to get a clear picture in order to make a dessicion.

can anyone tell me if the cars A/C is up to the task in the Miami summer?

...BTW this would be my daly driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:38 PM

post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Yes it is, it does need to be modified but I fixed mine and it works great, I am in Boca.

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Viper:

what was the problem with yours, BTW how expensive is it to maintain the car here in South Fla?
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_TEN View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been in love with the Lotus elise ever since I first saw it in the UK a few years ago and am currently in a position to buy one, I am a little concerned about the air conditioning, I live in Miami and decent A/C is a necesity not a luxury. I have read very little on the subject but havent been able to get a clear picture in order to make a dessicion.

can anyone tell me if the cars A/C is up to the task in the Miami summer?

...BTW this would be my daly driver.
I lived in Houston and A/C really isn't a necessity (at least not to me). The Elise AC is sub par compared to most cars, but just enough to barely do its job. Then again, I prefer slightly warmer temperatures than most people. In the end it comes down to personal preference. If you like it cold inside the car, then you will probably not like the A/C. Since you are in Miami, wouldn't driving around with the top down be ideal?
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 PM

There is a lot wrong with the A/C and I had to make many mods. If you are unwilling to work on the car, you may have regrets. I am certainly willing to share my experience if you understand that you probably won't be happy with the stock A/C. My Elise has not had any problems during my ownership.
Michael
Quote:
Viper:

what was the problem with yours, BTW how expensive is it to maintain the car here in South Fla?
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I am not unwilling to do some work, but I know pretty much nothing about auto mechanics, so I wouldnt want to srew up such a nice car.

RCW: the top down in the summer is not ideal since it's so damm hot and humid, the rest of the year its OK, but the other day that I when to the dealership to get a test drive, the moment that I was in the car without the engine on, I was sweating like crazy.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM

These are not really mechanical modifications, I will PM you my phone number, call me if you wish.
Michael
Quote:
I am not unwilling to do some work, but I know pretty much nothing about auto mechanics, so I wouldnt want to srew up such a nice car.

RCW: the top down in the summer is not ideal since it's so damm hot and humid, the rest of the year its OK, but the other day that I when to the dealership to get a test drive, the moment that I was in the car without the engine on, I was sweating like crazy.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:07 PM

There are many threads about it.

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:23 PM

My AC works well on fan setting 2, even the past few days -- 90+F and sticky humid. 1 is too little and at 3, I believe, the compressor can't keep up with the fan speed and the whole thing loses coolness. (I don't know if that even makes sense, but I like it as an explanation).

Bottom line for mine (stock without any modifications) is works well, now that I figured out 2 is more than 3.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM

on mine, even when the switch was set to recirculate, too much fresh air came in.
after i covered over the intakes behind the front center grille it was great.
sam

'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:59 PM

It is interesting that with the Elise individual cars demonstrate different characteristics under similar circumstances.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Deleted, my apologizes for "thread jacking", not familiar with forums (I know this sounds dumb).

Last edited by LotusCrazy; 07-22-2008 at 03:14 PM.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
There is a lot wrong with the A/C and I had to make many mods. If you are unwilling to work on the car, you may have regrets. I am certainly willing to share my experience if you understand that you probably won't be happy with the stock A/C. My Elise has not had any problems during my ownership.
Michael
can you point me towards some threads regarding ac modification?

05' US Elise.240hp,HRM edition,Sport pack,Touring pack,Katana supercharged,starshield,custom painted engine covers,S111 boomerang rear hook, Hurricane air filter,2bular 6" exhaust,Lotus driving lights,Infinity speakers,Lid Bone,V1 radar with remote audio/display,Tesla Roadster double din conversion with Kenwood ddx9902 headunit-subwoofer-rear cam,TRmotorsports wheels,lightweight Braille battery,aluminum radiator,silicon hoses,alotaluv....
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
It is interesting that with the Elise individual cars demonstrate different characteristics under similar circumstances.
Mine came with factory installed peanuts, too .
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Puff Daddy

Let's just say I garage my car for the summer here in AZ...

I put it on a battery tender, over inflate the tires, put in a full tank of gas, and generally treat it like most people do in snowy areas during the winter time

I think I've put less then 100 miles on the car since summer began here. It's simply unbearable (my car is black) once it's been out in the sun for longer then an hour.

If you're tougher then me and don't mind arriving to meetings drenched in sweat then it's definitely possible to drive it year round
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:07 PM

I have a 2007 Elise and live in Houston. Texas where sitting in stop-n-go trafffic in mid-summer where the ground temps exceed 100 degrees. Surprisingly, my A/C has performed rather well without any mods.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM

[threadjack]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCrazy View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the pursuit of purchasing a Lotus Elise SC , after "slobbering" over my friends 07' Elise. (Sorry to steal this thread, but I think it would be pointless to start another one, as I noticed you posed a similar question afterwards).

I just had a question regarding the overall reliability of the car (I know this Elise SC was just released this year, but I'm sure it will follow the same trend as previous years regarding maintenance/issues - if any are present at all). I plan to DD this vehicle and will be putting a lot of highway miles on it, along with a few track days (not very many). The closest dealership to me is ~1500 miles away and that's why I'm so concerned about the reliability of the car, as I am not very mechanically inclined myself. Is there anything I should keep an eye on after the purchase or "common occurrence" issues I should be aware of?

(I know I'll have to get the 1000miles done asap after delivery for the first maintenance interval, but it should be fun! ).

Thanks in advance,

Bill
[/threadjack]

Read the Uberpost from start to finish. Do an advanced search for "Daily Driver." Overall powertrain reliability = Toyota. Overall reliability = Lotus. No matter what goes wrong with the car, ever, always keep in mind that all of the parts falling off are of the highest British quality.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Uberpost: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/u...rmation-25131/

Daily Driver:
LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - Search Results

That will be a start in your quest for reliability issues, etc.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:25 PM

1) Tint all glass with “only” 3M Crystalline - Greatly reduced solar heat
2) Insulate side sills & front firewall on inside of the cockpit - Reduces convected heat from coolant, heater & oil pipes
3) Block the air inlets in the nose - Only use cooler re-circulated air
4) Open up the driver’s side foot well recirculation inlet - Increases air intake air volume & results in substantial increase in air flow through vents into cockpit.
5) Replace the evaporator, capillary tube thermostat with an electronic version - prevents evaporator freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowlotus View Post
can you point me towards some threads regarding ac modification?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in