ELISE AIR CONDITIONING - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
1) Tint all glass with “only” 3M Crystalline - Greatly reduced solar heat
2) Insulate side sills & front firewall on inside of the cockpit - Reduces convected heat from coolant, heater & oil pipes
3) Block the air inlets in the nose - Only use cooler re-circulated air
4) Open up the driver’s side foot well recirculation inlet - Increases air intake air volume & results in substantial increase in air flow through vents into cockpit.
5) Replace the evaporator, capillary tube thermostat with an electronic version - prevents evaporator freezing
6) Make sure that the coolant system is bled properly. Saved me 10 degrees of coolant temperature; coolant which circulates around the cabin. Add water wetter to the coolant. Your temp should be under 200 degrees most of the time. I live in Texas. The temp stays about 194.
7) Consider bypassing the heater core. You can cut and splice, or you can install a switchable system. Search for "heater bypass". Well worth doing.

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:16 AM

nothing like buying a black car where you KNOW you have a heat problem!
sam

'06 ELISE now with hidden talent and dual cigarette lighter sockets!
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:35 AM

I found the same thing here in Florida even in my yellow car, and it is parked outside all the time, but there are 3 partial cures.
1) A car cover, a cheap Tyvek from Walmart works best at reflecting the heat.
2) Reflector in the windshield, but does not stop heat entering elseware.
3) Tinting every window with 3M Crystalline, no other tint compares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Let's just say I garage my car for the summer here in AZ...

I think I've put less then 100 miles on the car since summer began here. It's simply unbearable (my car is black) once it's been out in the sun for longer then an hour.

If you're tougher then me and don't mind arriving to meetings drenched in sweat then it's definitely possible to drive it year round

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 AM

Isn't there a factory option for $500 to delete the A/C? I live outside New Orleans and I can't drive it to work due to arriving sweaty. I really think it struggles in two departments.

1. High humid areas
2. Doesn't blow a high volume of cold air
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
2) Insulate side sills & front firewall on inside of the cockpit - Reduces convected heat from coolant, heater & oil pipes
What did you use for insuation? Do you have any pics of where you placed it?

2005 Lotus Elise - Ardent Red - Touring / HT / SS / Larini / Micromirror / Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s / Audiovox CCS100 Cruise Control
2012 Toyota Prius - Blizzard Pearl
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 05:27 AM

I used a 1/8" self adhesive duct insulation, and then re-trimed with a microfiber. I will provide detailed info if anyone considers doing the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCZ06 View Post
What did you use for insuation? Do you have any pics of where you placed it?
Attached Images

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 06:45 AM

I live in houston and I find the air conditioning to be adaquate but just barely. On really hot summer afternoons the cabin temp is a bit high but bareable. If the outside temp is less than around 98 the unit works completely fine....

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:11 AM

do you have a picture of the vent in front that has to be blocked? and a picture of which vent in the footwell enlarged? i need to do this mod, not only to have cooler A/C but also to prevent polluted air coming in.

i live in manila philippines and the air is not good. thanks
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:05 AM

I used black Duck Tape over the vents, photo is pre-tape (credit to "Zammy1").
Drilled out bottom two pop rivets on air intake cover and bent it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmurciev12 View Post
do you have a picture of the vent in front that has to be blocked? and a picture of which vent in the footwell enlarged? i need to do this mod, not only to have cooler A/C but also to prevent polluted air coming in.

i live in manila philippines and the air is not good. thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by SirLotus; 07-23-2008 at 08:22 AM.
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_TEN View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been in love with the Lotus elise ever since I first saw it in the UK a few years ago and am currently in a position to buy one, I am a little concerned about the air conditioning, I live in Miami and decent A/C is a necesity not a luxury. I have read very little on the subject but havent been able to get a clear picture in order to make a dessicion.

can anyone tell me if the cars A/C is up to the task in the Miami summer?

...BTW this would be my daly driver.
I have had mine for 3 years and lets say the A/C is somewhat sub-par. I installed the heater core bypass and that helped a lot. I live in Houston, so same type of weather. It really works very good in town, but long trips in the heat at highway speeds it tends to freeze up. I still love the car.
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:01 PM

TheViper is right about 3M Crystalline. After three years of the Colorado sun, I finally decided to add it, right before our 100 degree weekend. What a difference. Plus, it greatly reduces the laser-like glare off the front fenders when they catch the sun just right.

The shop that did it had two 3M installers out here for a month from SoCal. They were very well-versed in the Lotus. I knew right away my installer was for California when he said "Lotus...dude...your windshield's got GAME"

Tom
post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 PM

+1 The single best mod I made to the car
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehitom View Post
TheViper is right about 3M Crystalline. After three years of the Colorado sun, I finally decided to add it, right before our 100 degree weekend. What a difference. Plus, it greatly reduces the laser-like glare off the front fenders when they catch the sun just right.

The shop that did it had two 3M installers out here for a month from SoCal. They were very well-versed in the Lotus. I knew right away my installer was for California when he said "Lotus...dude...your windshield's got GAME"

Tom
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:23 PM

thanks for the pics.

i was driving the car from a track outing and had the a/c on high but it just wasn't enough. the i touched the dash and it was damn hot from the sun. something has to be done to lessen heat coming in.

i was already thinking of 3M crystalline.
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 05:49 PM

From my before and after tests, Crystalline reduced the temperature inside the cockpit by 25'
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:12 PM

I like the side insulation thing you did, looks good too.
As to the new “evaporator capillary tub thermostat” to a electronic version? Can you expand on what you did and brand of parts and all(part #, where you got it)

I know mine is freezing up, probably a big snowball in there.

Kevin
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:22 PM

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to state that my A/C works BEAUTIFULLY and keeps me really cold. First time I used it all year and it was oh so sweet.....

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 07:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
From my before and after tests, Crystalline reduced the temperature inside the cockpit by 25'
The 3M crystalline is clear -- correct? So, do you apply this stuff to the front windshield as well? If so, can you clean the gunge that builds up on the inside of the windshield without scratching the finish?

'10 Solar Yellow Evora
'06 Chili Red Elise (sold)
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_alien View Post
The 3M crystalline is clear -- correct? So, do you apply this stuff to the front windshield as well? If so, can you clean the gunge that builds up on the inside of the windshield without scratching the finish?
I had 3 installers here in Austin tell me it is against the law to install any window film on the front windshield, clear or not. Also, what to do with the registration/inspection/Hippie Hollow stickers?

2006 Elise, Ardent Red, Black Pack, LSS wheels, shocks and springs.
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:18 AM

The single, absolute, best foolproof mod I did to take care of the AC problem was... to move out of Florida to a cooler climate!

Night and day difference. Driving the Elise in 90+ South Florida summer heat in traffic on flat, boring, straight roads is not exactly the best place to drive an Elise.

05 Elise AS/Black, Touring, Star (Sold)
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 04:09 AM

One version of Crystalline is considered clear, 70%. Believe it or not, there is very little difference in heat rejection between the versions. It made a huge difference to the comfort level in the cockpit. Don't confuse Crystalline with any other tint, there is nothing else like it and the price reflects that. One problem is in finding an installer who is capable of doing the windshield.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_alien View Post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in