ELISE AIR CONDITIONING - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:09 AM

Get ready to sweat. I've been driving mine around with no a/c in the 100 degree heat this whole week.

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:18 AM

FWIW, my observations on heat build up.

As warm as the cockpit gets with the engine running and a/c on, when I turn off the engine (and a/c) it gets hot almost immediately. I'm talking about seconds.

In fact, heat builds up even with the top off. Its odd to run the a/c while the top is off and the windows are down, but that's the way it is.

Dan

Dan
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:54 AM

So do you apply the clear 3m crystaline tint to the front windshield and if so on the outside or inside?

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 AM

Yes, front windshield, it is the largest source of solar I/R heat and it is applied to the inside. Not too many installers will attempt the windshield, especially on this car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harponian View Post
So do you apply the clear 3m crystaline tint to the front windshield and if so on the outside or inside?
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 PM

I had to sell my Elise because I couldn't tolerate the poor AC performance. I didn't even live in that hot a climate but I still wound up having to park it most of the summer. If lotus upgrades the AC I would consider buying another one...
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 AM

Hi,
To answer the question if the A/C is up to task for Florida heat I would have to say no....here is why...

I live in Melbourne, Cocoa Beach Fl a few hours north of you and the ONLY thing that I don't like about my lotus IS the air conditioner. My most miserable times are the summer for driving my car. The a/c system does blow cold for a little while but if your in stop and go traffic and want to stay cool it won't happen. The A/C air starts to get warm and to get cooled off I have to close all vents but the ones on the drivers side to get any air circulation. I have test drove other Lotus Elise's at the dealer just to see if it was just my car but they all do the same thing. I am new to the forum but I understand there are some things you can do to get better air flow and make it cooler that I am learning myself. If your looking to purchase a Lotus I would make sure you also take a good test drive in stop and go traffic. I use my car as a daily driver and I have never had any mechanical issues. I just keep up on the service's and the car drives just like it was new everyday. You almost have to make a decision if you want A/C as a priority or the driving experience:-)
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM

Do The Viper mods! I drove my 2005 Elise today, two up, in 95 degree Central Florida heat, for over an hour with no real issues. Granted it is not cold but the cabin is just comfortable. The mods do work.
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 02:45 PM

And here they are Improved AC
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregbj8 View Post
Do The Viper mods! I drove my 2005 Elise today, two up, in 95 degree Central Florida heat, for over an hour with no real issues. Granted it is not cold but the cabin is just comfortable. The mods do work.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregbj8 View Post

To get better airflow take off the metal covers by the footwells. It makes a big difference. Before level 3 was like level 1 in a normal car, and you could barely tell the difference between position 1 and postion 3.

I drive from New Smyrna to Palm Beach Gardens a lot and after doing the outer insulation and tonywas heater bypass, I've started getting cold after about half an hour, when the outside temperature was around 90. At first I thought the heater bypass didnt make a difference, but now I am noticing that it helps make it a few degrees cooler.

muziksnger, if your car is a 05, check to make sure that the a/c temperature probe is in the correct location. Early cars needed to have them moved so they wouldnt freeze up.
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 11:03 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Arrow Keep Recirculated Air always ON

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I thought I would ask here.

Has anyone tried to tweak the AC/Heater controls to keep the Recirculated Air always on? Either physically or electronically? I hate how both the recirculate and A/C buttons turn off each time with the car and do not retain their previous states.
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinctElise View Post
Rather than start a new thread on the same topic I thought I would ask here.

Has anyone tried to tweak the AC/Heater controls to keep the Recirculated Air always on? Either physically or electronically? I hate how both the recirculate and A/C buttons turn off each time with the car and do not retain their previous states.
Yes, covering up the outside air ducts behind the grill pretty much makes it on recirc all the time.

See here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313...-system-71031/
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
Yes, covering up the outside air ducts behind the grill pretty much makes it on recirc all the time.

See here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313...-system-71031/
Yes, I have done that and realize that the air will come from inside then, however if the electronic recirculation button is not engaged, then the flow may be decreased slightly. So I was curious if anyone has a way to keep it on permanently.

Thanks for the reply.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Such moderate

Garage
From 06 and up, I believe it come back on if it was on when you turned the car off. It "remembers" that it was on when you turn the car back on. Same with the actual a/c switch. It doesn't do this on 2005's, I kind of wonder if it is the switch pack module that does this and if we could install one from a 2006. But IMO, I don't think the cost would be worth it. I'd rather just reach down and press the button.
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doge View Post
From 06 and up, I believe it come back on if it was on when you turned the car off. It "remembers" that it was on when you turn the car back on. Same with the actual a/c switch. It doesn't do this on 2005's, I kind of wonder if it is the switch pack module that does this and if we could install one from a 2006. But IMO, I don't think the cost would be worth it. I'd rather just reach down and press the button.
Thanks for the info, I did not realize they changed that in 06. If anyone could test that out, I would love to make that mod!
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:49 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in