Elise A/C Broke - Compressor Not Coming On - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
JIF
Jeremy

Elise A/C Broke - Compressor Not Coming On

Hi All,

I'm relatively new here - got my late 2005 build Elise in March but only started driving more recently as it warmed up. My heater works fantastic, but the A/C has never blown cold air at all. I've checked obvious things like the cold air and recirc. button.

Meet up with some other local Elise owners recently and they pointed out my compressor wasn't kicking on like theirs does and that might be the problem. We got it up on a lift and took the passenger front wheel off and saw that some of the wires had been rubbed but nothing was exposed so we retaped it. Didn't see anything else that could be a problem. I'm curious if anyone has some trouble shooting thoughts/ideas?

Much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 05:25 PM
glb

Compressor will not kick in if refrigerant is low. While it could be a relay or fuse, this is the most common issue.

Did you ck the fuse? Note: it's never been the fuse for me...no such luck...

If refrigerant has left, and if leak can't be found, a good shop will add dye to the new refrigerant to trace the leak.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 05:53 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Compressor will not kick in if refrigerant is low. While it could be a relay or fuse, this is the most common issue.

Did you ck the fuse? Note: it's never been the fuse for me...no such luck...

If refrigerant has left, and if leak can't be found, a good shop will add dye to the new refrigerant to trace the leak.
I did not realize the compressor would not even start if the pressure was low. But the fuse is also a good idea to check! We noticed the wiring the was chewed thru the tape around the radiator shroud but fortunately no wiring there was compromised.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 PM

A bad resistor pack for the AC is usually the culprit on these buggers. Not a hard fix, but you do have to remove the front clam.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 04:15 AM

I just fixed the same problem on mine and the culprit was the relay. It is next to the front fuse box. The relay had worked itself loose. Once I plugged it back in and then taped it together with electrical tape (which I hope will keep it from working itself loose again), the a/c worked like a charm.

2006 Lotus Elise
2006 330i 6MT ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcat151 View Post
I just fixed the same problem on mine and the culprit was the relay. It is next to the front fuse box. The relay had worked itself loose. Once I plugged it back in and then taped it together with electrical tape (which I hope will keep it from working itself loose again), the a/c worked like a charm.
The relay was the first thing we checked and it was tight and secure. If the resistor pack went bad the blower motor would not work but it runs fine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:24 AM

Reviving an old thread because i'm now officially in the same boat. It's not the resistor pack because heater and blower work just fine.

Symptoms:
1. Compressor not kicking on. Although, I have watched the pulley as someone pushed the AC button and it did try to engage and turn slowly a couple times.
2. Periodic cold air. Every once in a blue moon the AC will get cold for about a minute, then nothing.

What I've done so far to try and fix:
1. Replace the AC relay, no change.
2. Verified hot/cold flap is working correctly.
3. Checked wiring near relay and wiring to compressor. Looks OK.
4. Replaced AC compressor with a new unit. This was my latest Hail Mary and unfortunately after professionally charging with 1.25 lbs of r134 the compressor is still not engaging.

Previous owner history:
1. Car had a factory SC installed, AC stopped working after that.
2. Car was at the Lotus dealer to have AC repaired. Dealer found a "bad ground" in the engine bay and repaired it, but AC still did not work.
3. Dealer wanted to remove the front clam to further investigate, but previous owner declined going forward. What would they be searching for under the front clam more than what I've already checked? Wiring is my only thought.

I've been chatting with another member with a similar issue, but at least he is getting cold air at the blower...it's just not making it into the cabin. My compressor simply isn't coming on and there's no obvious reason.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:52 AM

Sometimes when the AC is off, I push the AC button, it won't light and turn on the cold.

Sometimes when the AC is on, I push the AC button, it won't tun OFF the light and turn OFF the cold. When this happens, turning off the blower always kills the blue light and the cold.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:41 AM
glb

LTD,

1. Is wire still attached to compressor?

2. Does that wire get voltage? Have continuity?

3. We assume you checked the fuse.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
LTD,

1. Is wire still attached to compressor? Yes, confirmed.

2. Does that wire get voltage? Have continuity? I did not check, I'm assuming no because the new compressor does not kick on and neither did the old one.

3. We assume you checked the fuse.
Yes, I checked the AC compressor fuse under the dash, the AC compressor relay fuse in the main fuse box and I also pulled R4 in the engine bay to reset the ECU. Currently the car is sitting with the battery disconnected. Last ditch hope that after sitting dead for a couple hours the ECU will fix the issue

Also, maybe I should mention that I also have the airbag symbol dash light on all the time. Not sure how that could be related, but just in case...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:15 PM

I have one more thought/idea, but I'm afraid to even entertain it. When I swapped in the new compressor I had to re-use the wire harness from the old compressor because the new compressor had the connector mounted in a slightly different position which the plug couldn't reach. So I suppose there could be a very small chance that this whole time what was bad was the 6" long harness on the compressor? There's no way to get back to that harness easily to test this, but I can't think of anything else to try. I just know I'll break my back again to try this and still I won't have AC. Arrrr
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:19 PM
glb

You need to find the point at which continuity "breaks", which is why I mentioned it.

Often we are simply eliminating suspects (as seen on TV!) and this is too cheap & easy to not do.

You have the wiring diagram?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 AM

The AC is working intermittently. It's a crap shoot as to when it will work however. Either you start the car and the AC works or you start the car and it doesn't. To have AC my fiance must now turn the car on and off until she gets a successful try. Obviously this is less than ideal, but a hell of a lot better than no AC at all.

Any ideas on this one? I thought it was just dirty connectors at the relay/trinary/thermostat, but I cleaned them all and the issue persists. The new compressor seems to have got us halfway there, but this new issue is beyond strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in