LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   A/C, Heating and Ventilation (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/)
-   -   Fixed my AC and found a trick for colder AC! (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313/fixed-my-ac-found-trick-colder-ac-310353/)

wek120 06-18-2015 04:56 PM

Fixed my AC and found a trick for colder AC!

177 Attachment(s)
So I was able to find that my AC was not blowing cold because the radiator blower fans were not coming on at all for it. Wired up a bypass switch to manually turn the fans on and it worked!

On that note from an engineering side, I figured out a trick to getting a little bit more cooling out of the system: since more heat dissipated from the condenser equates to more cooling, having the radiator fans on high cools them off more. I got the temp down quite a few more degrees by wiring them to come on full power. (unfortunately I forgot which wires I did now :facepalm so if anyone knows offhand which color wires were fans on high please post up

sturgeongeneral 06-18-2015 09:44 PM

I thought all cars were wired so the cooling fans went on high when the ac was turned on. Am I wrong?

Gunpilot 06-18-2015 10:38 PM

The cooling fans are switched as a pair, and will operate at half speed (connected in series) when coolant temperature reaches 98C on rise, and switch off at 94C on fall.
The fans will also operate at half speed irrespective of coolant temperature if the a.c. is switched on and the compressor is running.
If coolant temperature rises to 103C, the fans will switch to full speed (connected in parallel), reverting to half speed at 98C.
The fans will also run at half speed, unless high coolant temperature dictates otherwise, when the a.c. is switched on and the compressor is running, or if the engine management system detects a fault with the inlet air temperature or coolant temperature circuits.

wek120 06-19-2015 04:58 PM

177 Attachment(s)
hey gunpilot you wouldnt happen to know which wires to jump for both full speed would you?

Giorgio80 07-02-2015 01:43 AM

there's also an automate way to do that, jump together pin 63 and 67 on relay unit. this will make fan go always faster

wek120 07-03-2015 06:18 AM

177 Attachment(s)
You know which wires those are?

Motard 07-03-2015 08:35 AM

Here is a question.

I know the fans go on half speed when you turn AC on. Do they stay on even when you turn AC off until you turn car off?

I somehow got the impression that was the case and was a decent way to keep airflow on radiator when cruising at low speeds.

Lancia 07-03-2015 09:13 AM

Wiring in series gives you quarter power, not half.

Pautab1 07-08-2015 07:17 PM

How often does the cold air not work?

Patiotray 07-10-2015 07:33 AM

@Motard - On my Elise they do. I just noticed it recently, I don't use the AC very often. I was wondering if this is normal. Will have to check the service manual when I get around to it.

otoman 08-20-2015 07:39 AM

Bear in mind that you'll also reduce the lifetime of your fans if they always run full speed.

LiveToDrive 08-20-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otoman (Post 4300258)
Bear in mind that you'll also reduce the lifetime of your fans if they always run full speed.

I have an '89 Toyota on original fans that still works great daily. I'm guessing the lifetime of those motors is longer than necessary on a Lotus.

Lancia 09-03-2015 12:48 AM

Over cooling your engine could be an issue.
And noise was probably a consideration.
You really only want to max out the airflow when called for.