Gulf States / Saudi Air Conditioning - Anyone here have first hand experience ? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Yeah there is AC in the front and yes the rear just comes on at one speed, not controllable, only the front is controllable.

So what I was thinking is when its not that super hot outside, the front AC is enough to cool the car down so I could have a little switch that stops the "AC ON" signal being sent to the rear ac unit when the AC button is pressed. In the summer I could turn off that switch to let the signal through.

So if like you said there are two wires coming from the AC switch, one could be for the rear the other to the front. I could put a switch on the one for the rear. Theoretically that should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:06 PM

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/atta...1&d=1424031852

if you look at this pic, you can see a pair of purple wires, that might be them.

I am not sure of the effect of 'disabling' this unit. The diagram appears to show that it should operate on L/M/H, if it does not, perhaps investigate why
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:25 PM

I cannot get a coherant idea of how this whole thing works, I need to be looking at books, which are at work, the parts page make it look like there may be a refrigerant shutoff[are those wires in the bottom left]
Attached Images

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:26 PM

MY 2009/10 GGC spec aux AC units had a switch on the gear lever cover, so it could be independently switched on, as long as the main AC unit (at the front) was already on. That way you could modulate better how much AC you wanted.

After MY 2010, Lotus had no active dealers in the Gulf selling the Elise / Exige models, so there was no GGC spec cars built for a while.

When GGC spec Exiges re-appeared as MY 2015 Exige V6's... by this time front & rear AC units switched on together, using a single button in the main HVAC controls. Which I guess is where you are with your Exige in Kuwait.

I'm sure it would be possible to replicate the MY 2009/2010 dual switches & wiring by referring to the workshop manual for that model year.

HTHs

Arabian Elises R US
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:32 PM

I understand the need for an extra AC unit but it feels like they solved it with a kludge. I don't understand why I can't control the speed of the rear AC unit blower or have a switch to turn it on or off like they do in large SUVs that have a rear AC unit.

To give you guys an idea of how loud it gets with the AC on, check out this video I shot

Keep in mind the phone was held closer to the front vents than the rear ones. Now imagine how close your ears are to the rear vents and AC unit...

Last edited by usurp; 04-02-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling/grammar
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:38 PM

If it only has a single speed, and there are resistors I am pretty sure you could fix it by adding the variable switch.

If you get it apart to look at the rear unit[probably just move seat up and remove a cover] shoot a pic so we can see how it differs from the older units

It seems to me that even on hot days it would be nice to vary the fan speed
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:41 PM

thing is i've had this car around exactly a week now so not really eager to start taking it apart. was hoping there was an easy fix like under the dash or something.

I sent an email to Lotus support will see what they say first, I'm hoping there is just a fuse I could remove. Summer is approaching pretty quick anyway so if its going to be a "project" then might have to push it back until after summer.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:52 PM

under the dash

easy

oh man, you are in for it my friend.............
usurp likes this.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:53 PM

seriously tho, I think if you take a look behind the seat and see wha tyou can see, might just be a little cover to remove to take a peek
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:54 PM

I'll take a look tomorrow before i head to work
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 01:40 PM

I guess we will still let you join the club even if you own your Lotus for 8 days before taking it apart..........
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 02:25 PM

I would love to get the manufacturers part number for the compressor on this application

seems like the compressor is a weak point. I don't think the one in my car would drive 2 evaporators
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:02 AM

So Lotus got back to me with the following response:

Quote:
Dear Mark

I am afraid that there is no simple fuse pull for this.

The only way is to disconnect the electrical connector to the unit which will be located under the unit cover.

I hope this helps.

Best regards
By unit cover do they mean the control system in the front console? Cuz if thats the case I guess its wht I was hoping for.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:17 AM

That is actually good news, as they have no problem with that simple of a solution, you just need to find the wire. Adding a little switch is no big deal once you find that wire
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:48 AM

sounds like 'unit cover' which means behind the seats I think.
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:57 AM

Well I just replied back to Lotus with the following recommendation on what they should do for future setups:

Option 1: Install a button that turns on or off the rear AC unit. Large SUV's usually have an extra button called "Rear" which does exactly that, turn the rear AC unit on for the rear passengers. This way if the customer feels the front AC unit isn't cooling the car enough, with a flick of a switch the rear unit comes in to save the day.

Option 2: Have the AC blower dial go up to speed 4 or maybe have it 1, 2, 3, MAX where speed 4 or "MAX" would have the front blower at full speed AND also turn on the rear AC unit. Usually when you have the AC blower speed at full speed you expect the AC to be loud and so in this case the loud noise would be considered normal.

My dealer is also forwarding my email to the head of after sales for the Middle East. Hopefully they'll take my feedback into consideration.
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
sounds like 'unit cover' which means behind the seats I think.
damn i think you're right, i just re-read is and i think he meant under the rear AC unit cover and not the front controls cover.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:35 AM

Honestly, you are better off, the AC control panel is a nuisance to get in and out, and any wiring that is not right there is impossible to get at.
If there is a cover on the left, err passenger side, err, right in vehicle parlance,err, end with the hoses sticking out of the unit I think it will be pretty easy to get at

pictures pictures!

Its fun to see stuff that is 'factory rare'
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:14 PM

I'm planning to swap out the rear speakers, once i do that i need to remove the seat and i'll have access to the back panel and open it up and take a peek inside and take pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in