My blower resistor replacement experience... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
My blower resistor replacement experience...

Just thought I'd make a short post about my experience doing the blower motor resistor. Just for reference, I did drill the holes as per the bulletin in the bottom of the car to try to keep this from happening as soon as I bought the car. At first my speed 1 and speed 2 of my fan were spotty and working on and off. Then after a couple weeks, all 3 speeds stopped working. I figured it was time to jump in to replacing the resistor. I ordered all the resistors from this thread:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313...acement-78524/

I used those, which was much cheaper than doing the fix Lotus made for it. I made a square plate to mount the resistors on. (I wish I would have taken pictures of my plate and resistors but for some reason I didn't). Taking the clam off was pretty simple, a friend and I had it off in about 40-45 minutes.

It was filthy under the hvac box. While doing all of this, I cleaned all of that crap out and wiped it clean in there. The most difficult part of this is indeed getting the box out and back in. It was kind of a pain, but with enough work came out just like it should. I actually mounted my resistors under the driver side access panel for future access and just ran the wires down to the fan. I did replace the drier as everyone should if the a/c system is opened. Radiator was not leaking, so I decided not to replace it yet. All in all, the job wasn't that bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM

I'm in the process of pulling the front clam to replace my radiator. Good time to do the resistor pack replacement also. Thanks for the reminder.

JT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:57 PM

Man I found this job to be quite terrible. The worst part for me was getting the box in and out as you said. However there are alot of other painful steps as well. I did learn how to evacuate and recharge AC in the process though.

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki250 View Post
I'm in the process of pulling the front clam to replace my radiator. Good time to do the resistor pack replacement also. Thanks for the reminder.

JT
Since I am in complaining mode:

Taking the clam off is about 5% of the resistor pack job. You probably already know but fixing this will easily double or tripple your radiator replacement time. It is a good idea to do them together though because you will be flushing your coolant.

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Man I found this job to be quite terrible. The worst part for me was getting the box in and out as you said. However there are alot of other painful steps as well. I did learn how to evacuate and recharge AC in the process though.
Having a a/c machine at work ftw. Didn't have to worry about any of that. Recovered all the refrigerant at work, did the job, and recharged it back at work. I didn't think the job was all that difficult, but then again, I used to work on cars for a living.

Quote:
Since I am in complaining mode:

Taking the clam off is about 5% of the resistor pack job. You probably already know but fixing this will easily double or tripple your radiator replacement time. It is a good idea to do them together though because you will be flushing your coolant.
I actually didn't end up having to drain really any of the coolant. When I pulled the heater hoses off, I clamped them off. Barely had to top off any coolant when I was done with the whole job.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 AM

I didnt think it was super difficult either but a real PITA. I think if you are a former mechanic and have access to an AC machine you are starting from a much better place than a typical shade tree guy. I was just trying to give a little counter caution to some.

Ive seen a few posts about changing the resistor pack "while your in there". I just want everyone to be clear, it is a bit more involved than one would think.

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
I didnt think it was super difficult either but a real PITA. I think if you are a former mechanic and have access to an AC machine you are starting from a much better place than a typical shade tree guy. I was just trying to give a little counter caution to some.

Ive seen a few posts about changing the resistor pack "while your in there". I just want everyone to be clear, it is a bit more involved than one would think.
Oh, it was definitely a pain. I'll admit that. That stupid box does NOT want to come out of there.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 08:20 PM

Garage
Sorry to revive an old thread but how in the hell does that HVAC box come out of there? I have everything apart but can't seem to get it out. Any tips?

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in