My DIY Resistor Pack Experience - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KWin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

My DIY Resistor Pack Experience

So I bought my first lotus March 2016 and drove it from Florida to New Hampshire. By the end of the driving season (around September) the fan stopped working and I figured it was the resistor pack. I put the car up for the winter and decided to get to work on replacing that resistor pack.

I followed @rob13572468 DIY resistor pack thread and made some improvements, I wired it differently than Rob's diagram. (see my picture with "diagram". I bought a new fan (figuring that if I was wrong and the fan was bad too I should replace while I'm in there). I screwed the resistors directly into the fan housing so the air of the fan would cool down the resistors. For some reason lotus uses non-waterproof connections to connect the resistor pack to the 3 way switch. I cut those connectors off kept the waterproof connection to the 3 way switch and then soldered the pig tails to the bolts on the fan. I coated all connections in silicon. Please see pictures.

For the other improvements. While I was in there I pulled the two plastic "spacer-thingys" out and insulated them so that I would have an insulated air gap between the cabin and the outside without having "spaceman" look to my the interior. I tapped off the outside air intakes (this made a huge difference) I drilled the holes in the tub per the service recall. I also removed the interior drivers side air return blocker.

Picture descriptions:

Pulled the clam off –followed Sands museum instructions which worked like a charm.

Pulled everything in the tub out – this sucked… everything is tight and doesn’t want to be pulled out, my advice is to just wiggle it, a lot.

Outside of fan with silicon covered connection (better waterproofing than stock )

Insulated plastic spacers - not sure how effective yet, I'll let people know once its hot in New Hampshire

Resistor wiring and diagram - I made the diagram with "arrows to show flow" this shows how at medium and low speeds the resistors work in series to increase resistance as the switch changes the "starting point" of the incoming power. for high speed the wire is directly connected to the fan wire, which you can see in the outside of fan picture where the top bolt has two wires on it.
Attached Images

VisualEchos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 AM

Great job! I need to do this as well, I'm just not a wiring guy. I'll get around to it one of these days. Good thing I don't ever use my A/C!

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in