Question - Changing AC blower - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Question - Changing AC blower

I am trying to replace the AC blower. From the picture shown below, this is the further I can go... Please advise what can I remove in order to access the blower. Do I have to remove 1 and 2? And how do I remove them?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 AM

Check out the photo's I posted here https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f313...24/index3.html. First the AC needs to be evacuated by a certified shop and then almost everything, including the front clam needs to be removed.
Michael
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback, TheViper.
There was alot of air pressure coming out when I tried to unscrew the #1. Is it normal, or is it ok to take it off?
The front clam has been removed. I am trying to replace the blower from the car.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:24 AM

evacuate the A/C first from the valves behind the right rear passenger side vent (in the engine compartment), this should be done by your local shop to capture the refrigerant and prevent venting to the atmosphere.

Once done, you can safely remove all of the A/C lines and canister (#1 in your pic) plus all of the ducting, wiring and coolant hoses need to be removed and/or pinned out of the way. If you pin back the coolant hoses up and out of the way, there is just enough room and there is very little coolant lost so you shouldn't need to drain the coolant. The hoses are usually tough to remove because they "stick" to the fittings on the heater assembly- I found using a blow dryer to heat up the ends of the hoses helped a lot.

The heater assembly (#2 in your pic) and the blower need to be removed as one unit and then can be seperated once out so it gives you a good sense of how much needs to be removed to make room.

There are a number of posts and pics detailing removal on here, so keep searching... if you get stuck post again or pm me.

Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schodrow View Post
evacuate the A/C first from the valves behind the right rear passenger side vent (in the engine compartment), this should be done by your local shop to capture the refrigerant and prevent venting to the atmosphere.

Once done, you can safely remove all of the A/C lines and canister (#1 in your pic) plus all of the ducting, wiring and coolant hoses need to be removed and/or pinned out of the way. If you pin back the coolant hoses up and out of the way, there is just enough room and there is very little coolant lost so you shouldn't need to drain the coolant. The hoses are usually tough to remove because they "stick" to the fittings on the heater assembly- I found using a blow dryer to heat up the ends of the hoses helped a lot.

The heater assembly (#2 in your pic) and the blower need to be removed as one unit and then can be seperated once out so it gives you a good sense of how much needs to be removed to make room.

There are a number of posts and pics detailing removal on here, so keep searching... if you get stuck post again or pm me.

Good luck!

Thanks for your information, schodrow.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Do I have enough room to remove the heat assembly?

After evacuating the AC,
1) I have disconnected the heat assembly from the AC blower by releasing the two latches.
2) I have disconnected the coolant hoses and canister.

But, I still did not find enough room to take out the heat assembly.
And I could not take out the heat assembly and AC blower as one unit too.

Or do I have to remove the brake master cylinder in order to take out the heat assembly?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:52 AM

You do not need to remove the brake cylinder. It comes out as one unit but it is ridiculously tight. It does not come straight up. It needs to be lifted up from one side and then angled out. There shouldn't be any hoses vents or pipes in the way at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > A/C, Heating and Ventilation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in