What is the best polishing compound? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-07-2019, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

What is the best polishing compound?

Hey guys,

Was wondering what everyone is using for polishing compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-07-2019, 08:13 PM

I got really into detailing a few years ago and bought into all the marketing around Adams Polishes, Sonax, etc.... Now a few years later and lots of elbow grease, I've learned most of these products are all the same chemical with a different color and/or scent.

I just use Meguiar's professional products now at like 1/2 the cost of the others mentioned. No complaints.

The only exception is tire dressing.. I haven't found a replacement for Adams VRT. I'm not into shinny plastic-looking tires. VRT cleans and protects leaving a really nice matte finish.

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV400, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID, BOE Rear Oil Cooler, Difflow Aeroplates, BOE Swirl Pot, DaviesCraig EWP, Reversed Heater Matrix
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-07-2019, 08:36 PM

I've tried it ALL.

Nothing comes close to this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-07-2019, 08:47 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwehnes View Post
I got really into detailing a few years ago and bought into all the marketing around Adams Polishes, Sonax, etc.... Now a few years later and lots of elbow grease, I've learned most of these products are all the same chemical with a different color and/or scent.

I just use Meguiar's professional products now at like 1/2 the cost of the others mentioned. No complaints.

The only exception is tire dressing.. I haven't found a replacement for Adams VRT. I'm not into shinny plastic-looking tires. VRT cleans and protects leaving a really nice matte finish.
Polish seems to mean different things these days. I use Zaino polishes, but they have no abrasives, and are really wax/sealant alternatives. I like the Menzerna Final Polish 2, but it doesn't even look like it's sold anymore. One bottle has lasted me 14 years. Even the Zaino formulation guru (Sal) likes it. My slightly more aggressive polish is Meguiar's, and that bottle is nearly a decade old. The Zaino tire dressing is great, and isn't shiny or greasy. It's slightly pricey. The Zaino leather cleaner and conditioner (separate products) are outstanding. I use them on my motorcycle jackets/suits and car interiors. The Meguiar's Gold Class leather stuff is mediocre by comparison, but it's very reasonably priced. It's my basic leather go-to, but is a little oily/greasy. I also find all of the Zaino products smell good. I agree you don't have to spend a bundle to get a good product.

Adam's is local to me, and I've been to their shop. I have some of their detail spray and polish. I find it to be good for a friend's car that I'm not doing the clean/clay bar/base coat/finishing coats. Reasonable priced. I haven't tried their VRT. Sounds like I should order a bottle and try it out.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2019, 06:28 AM

"the best" is really subjective. The best for your situation may vary. There are better products for sure, but I always go back to the Meguiars line. They have different 'grits' of compound to suit your needs. If it's just fine swirls or water marks you have, then the fine-cut will do. If your paint is a little rougher, you'll need a more aggressive cut.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2019, 08:15 AM
glb

Always begin with the mildest abrasive you can find. Only if that doesn't work is it time to change products.

I like 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to start; removes swirls and minor scratches.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
I've tried it ALL.

Nothing comes close to this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
+1 this is the best combo. However, it has a shelf life - mine went bad after maybe 4 years. Considering the cost, the product may be better suited for a detailer who goes through a lot of it each year.

After considering all my options, I decided to just wrap the car lol who has time for paint maintenance.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2019, 10:24 AM
He's on fire!

For polish I use meguire's as well. For a finish its BFWD

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2019, 10:34 AM

Chemical guys! Love their products!!

'10 Lotus Evora NA - Aquamarine/Oyster
'12 Lexus CT200H - White/Cream
'04 Cadillac Escalade - Beige/Grey
'12 Lotus Evora NA IPS - AR/Cognac
'03 Porsche 911 Cab - Silver/Blue
'11 Mercedes C63 AMG - Blk/Blk
'07 Mercedes E350 - White/Cream
'05 BMW 530i - Silver/Blk
'05 Lotus Elise SC- AR/Blk
'01 Porsche 911 Coupe - Silver/Blk
'05 Acura TL - Blk/Blk
'00 BMW M Coupe - Yellow/Blk
'99 BMW 325i - Green/Tan
'00 Ford Explorer Sport - Blue/Blk
'87 Formula FireBird - Red/Tan
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2019, 02:49 PM

I've had excellent results with Mothers products. Their spray polishes are also excellent. I use the combo wash/wax spray to touch up on the rockers, splitter, Wheels, etc.

"In general, the Elise will be kept in best operating condition by regular use."
Page 152 Lotus Elise owner's manual
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-08-2019, 04:55 PM

For single stage paint correction, the shop here in Columbus recommended the Sonax Perfect Finish Polish.

This is their review -->

I tried it out and was pretty happy with the results. I would say with that it took care of 75%-80% of all of the swirl marks (with the DA polisher and yellow pad they recommended).
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Garage
For Leather cleaning and conditioning, I really think Pecard leather products are great. www.pecard.com.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Unread 10-10-2019, 05:47 PM

I have found that the paint on my Elise in incredibly hard. As in you have to use very aggressive product. I have used Meguires 105 with an orange hex logic pad and there are still swirls that I can't get out. I agree with starting least aggressive but you might need to step it up. I actually don't like 105 all that much since it dries out and dusts easy. I heard they have a new 110 that might be better. After you do 105 or 110 you will need to finish with 205 (or the newer 210) or something like Meguires ultimate polish.

Basically if you are trying to remove serious defects and swirls, you need to start with a cutting compound and end with a finishing polish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior > Washing, Waxing & Detailing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in