CDL module repair - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

CDL module repair

Hey guys, like a lot of other cars mine has a failed cdl module. Let me stranded one time, door locks would go down but trying to open back up was not working. I have tried to buy a new one but every place when I have called says pretty much eternal backorder. They have mentioned a service to repair them however, about three to four weeks lead time and fee of $275.

I remember reading on here before of art least one guy who disected has and replaced some components but do not remember if it went back in the car or worked again. From what I have heard the module is just a pair of relays and some diodes. Has anyone else tried to take on something like this? Have a feeling I will be giving it a shot soon and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM

seems like a SAAB & several older vauxhalls used it. Tracked it down to this models but have not verified.

KIEKERT :GM 90457682 PA

or labelled up on SAABs as:

SAAB 4710 257
4050 5437

ebay/ebay UK has a few of them.

2006 Exige (SC Koldfire 270)
2005 Elise Katana SC (SOLD)
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Very interesting, I had not heard of that interchange until now. When comparing those units with the Lotus part they are identical and of course critically the connector appears correct. Plus as they were used on other, older Lotus cars you can see why they would still be used. I just bought a Saab unit on Ebay for $12 shipped so I will report back with my findings

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Please do update!

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 03:40 PM

save the old unit. when you resolve your issue hope somebody here can play with it and figure out a repair option(on the cheap) like somebody have with the switch pack module.

Subscribed for the update.

2006 Exige (SC Koldfire 270)
2005 Elise Katana SC (SOLD)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:29 AM

My CDL failed yesterday as well. I'm curious to see how you fix this so I can do it!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:27 AM

Looks like there are probably a pair of relays in it, has anyone opened one up? Looks like the inertia switch must lock or unlock the doors.....2 wires to the alarm....cannot be much in it
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

I do plan on keeping my failed module and performing an autopsy. I remember someone doing this but have been unable to find it. Hopefully I can repair it and either put it back in or keep around as a spare
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:31 PM

Subscribed to see the outcome

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Just got the Saab unit in today, no time to put it on the car but I did pull it out of the case for a quick inspection. From memory this looks nothing like the last one I saw on this board when opened but that doesn't mean I think it will not work. This one just appears to be much simplified which makes sense and honestly I trust it more than the stock unit, less components less chance of failure. Looks to be all German components and probably construction. Hope it install this this weekend and report back
Attached Images

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

So here is an update, the Saab unit I got externally is a near prefect match to the Lotus one. The connector is a match and plugs in fine. I still had the same issue with the Lotus one, will lock the doors but nothing happening when I try to unlock. Replaced it with the Saab unit and unfortunately not a thing happens. I could some times hear a slight buzz from inside the relays. I have not given up just yet but may be only able to salvage pieces from it.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for both the Lotus and 94 Saab 900? I need to see which pins are trying to do what. If that fails I may be sending my lotus cdl module to my electrical engineer brother to see if he can figure it out.

Below are pictures of the guts of the Lotus module. I had read that the screws that secure the module are hard to access so a much easier way is to simply pop out the insides leaving the case in place which you can then replace with your new piece. Do not mind the spaghetti mess in the background, the car has a passport 9500 and that is where the bulk of the excess wiring ended up living
Attached Images

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:37 AM

does the other side of the lotus one have the same two relays?

[edit]now I can see the pic!

Last edited by exigeg2; 07-11-2016 at 12:10 PM.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 PM

It looks like the pins leading to the relays are different so the pinout does not match
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM

one a dees must be da rite one

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/9000wiringdiagrams.pdf

glitch.....
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 9000wiringdiagrams.pdf (5.2 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by exigeg2; 07-11-2016 at 02:05 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 02:24 PM

well if you take the 1997 diagram and pull pins 1 and 4 off the connector[wires to the alarm] and swapped saab pin 5 to lotus pin 2, saab pin 3 to lotus pin10 and saab pin 4 to lotus pin 9, the CDL switch might work.

then you need to figure out what saab pins 1,2 do and what lotus pins 1 and 4 do, and maybe the correct wiring of those might do something

or it might burn the car to the ground

[shrug]
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the diagrams! Looking at PDF diagram looks like the page showing power door lock circuit shows the module on there, surprising that it uses every pin available, the Lotus one does not, will have to try to find that diagram as well. Hate to ask but does anyone have the wiring diagram for an 06 Exige?
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the ignorance, a two second Google search revealed boe has a really nice wiring diagram for these cars. Looking into this further.

Until I get this completely figured out, my doors are currently locked. Looking at the attached shot of the diagram, would I be correct in assuming that the door locks would be sent +12 for one action and a ground signal for the opposite?
Attached Images

Last edited by Motorcitydak; 07-12-2016 at 07:15 AM.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 07:14 AM

this should be correct
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Electrics diagrams1.pdf (115.6 KB, 165 views)
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Here is what I have found so far in playing with the failed lotus unit; pin 9 is battery +, pin 10 is battery -. Pins 2 and 6 are ground signals from the door lock switch. Using a 9 volt battery hitting 2 with ground triggers a momentary click of the relay further from the connector, hitting pin 6 does nothing leading me to believe that the closer relay has failed and that must be the one to unlock the doors. Pin 7 and 8 are signals to the door locks. What is interesting is that checking voltage off them with the negative probe they both show nine volts. Grounding pin two momentarily drops voltage from 7 but not 8. I would have to assume if pin six worked hitting that would drop from pin 8.

So.....to lock the doors it appears that pin 7 gets + and 8 gets -, it's reversed to unlock them. Now to just try it on the car. It always helps me to write these things out for me to sure it makes sense, then you guys can check it as well as use it as a reference if this ever happens to you

Edit: that plan works by the way, just tried it out. Now just going thru the Saab unit to figure out which pins to move to where. As long as this cdl module is not doa, should have fixed this for $12

Last edited by Motorcitydak; 07-12-2016 at 03:04 PM.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Update on this again, I've ordered another Saab unit and this time I will be sure not to fry it by just plugging it in. I'll bench test it first then move some pins around before installing it in the car. Fingers crossed will be fixed then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in