Key Fob not working - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Garage
Unhappy Key Fob not working

Went to start my car and it wouldn't unlock the cobra alarm system before start up. The light comes on, on the fob, just nothing with the car. I then used my other fob, and it works fine. Checked the battery and it seems good. Any ideas on what is causing this? Does the fob need to be reprogrammed?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Regards,
ZW

2006 Storm ti Exige (Sleeping)
2019 Jaguar E pace
2015 BMW i3
1978 Land Rover Series 3

Paypal- [email protected]
website- www.dash2axle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 11:14 AM

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Elise Guru

Garage
Michael,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Z

2006 Storm ti Exige (Sleeping)
2019 Jaguar E pace
2015 BMW i3
1978 Land Rover Series 3

Paypal- [email protected]
website- www.dash2axle.com

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 PM

I am having a similar issue. I went to lock my car when going into a store and the alarm sounded for like a second and since then neither of my fobs work to lock or unlock the doors, however the immobilizer does not activate either. Any Ideas?

2004 S2000 Silverstone..BERK header&cat,K&N filter(RIP)
2005 Elise in CO....Sport/Touring, Vision Function Stage2 Larini Se, Euro Grills, Trakmounts, LETSLA, Splitter, ARP Canards, raceview mirrors, Micro Mirror, RTD BRACE, Bootie, Folding front and boomerang tow hooks, 5000k HIDs , and License Plate While LED lights, JL c2 5.25f &6.5r, JL XD 600/6 amp, Carbon fiber sub box behind the seat, JL 10w0 sub, Gloss Black LSS wheels, Black Nose and Wheel Badges, Black Diffuser......
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Below are Viper's steps with a few notes of my own to ensure its "dumb-azz" proof cause I'm an idiot...

SYMPTOM:
Neither key fobs work; they won't disable/enable alarm and the doors won't lock/unlock. Luckily, my doors were unlocked at the time.

- Steps I used to resolve -

REMOTE KEY FOB - RESYNCHRONIZATION - USE WHEN EXISTING REMOTE CEASES TO WORK
1) Remove battery & wait 10 seconds before re-installing (re-sync can fail if this step is missed)
2) Hold down both buttons (remote fob LED will light) for approx.10 seconds until LED turns off.
3) Release both buttons and LED will turn on constantly.
4) Press large button for one second, LED will flash…re-sync. complete

--- The steps above have worked well for me in the past but failed this time after 20+ attempts... ---

-
REMOTE KEY FOB - PROGRAMMING - USE WHEN ADDING A NEW REMOTE INTO THE SYSTEM OR AFTER SEVERAL FAILED RE-SYNCING ATTEMPTS

IGNITION MUST BE ON (put key in and turn into ingition position) AND THE ALARM MUST BE OFF (in other words NOT blinking!) before proceeding.

STEP 1 – PREPARING ALL REMOTE KEY FOBS - ALL FOBS MUST BE DONE SIMULTANEOUSLY
Press and hold both buttons on remote until the LED stops flashing (about 10 seconds).
Do this for all remotes to be programmed
The LED on the remote should stay on until after programming.
Note: If the LED on the remote extinguishes by the time you want to program, the key has gone into battery
saving mode, press large button once to bring the LED back on then proceed with programming.

STEP 2 – ENTER PIN
1) Turn ignition ON and OFF 3 times within 5 seconds.
2) Security LED will blink once indicating that the security code can now be entered.
3) Enter security code as follows:
.... a) Turn ignition ON & count number of blinks representing 1ST digit of code then turn ignition OFF.
.... b) Repeat for 2nd digit.
.... c) Repeat for 3rd digit.
.... d) Repeat for 4th digit.
4) Turn ignition ON and LED will come on permanently if correct code has been entered

Note: This was my hardest step.. you must have the correct alarm code otherwise you can't proceed. You will notice that the blinks are very slow for the first digits... i have found that if you enter the wrong first digit, the repeat digits for 2 - 4 will blink faster. However, if you type the digits in correctly, the blinks will always be slower...

STEP 3 – COMPLETE THE REMOTE KEY FOB PROCEDURE
1) Press and hold the large button on one of the remotes until the security LED light in the tachometer goes out then comes back on.
Note: If it doesn't work for one key fob move onto the other and if successful, go back to the first one (that's what I had to do)
2) Do this for each remaining remote
3) Turn off the ignition and check each remote for the correct operation.

Good luck, and if in the LA area, feel free to PM me for help. This experience sucked ballz and I appreciate Viper's and all of your suggestions.

-Mike

--
'05 Lotus Elise Chrome Orange, Touring, QuickSilver Exhaust, Dual Oil Coolers, Aluminium Triple Pass RACE Radiator, Exige ProBax Seats
'01 GMC Yukon SLE, Onyx Black, 4.8L V8
'00 C5 Corvette Convertible, Red, 5.7L V8
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 AM

Does the above also apply to an Evora? Both my keys have lost sync with the car. Can manually open the door which sets off the alarm, along with everything else I try to do.

For the steps listed:
1) Remove battery & wait 10 seconds before re-installing (re-sync can fail if this step is missed) -This did not work
2) Hold down both buttons (remote fob LED will light) for approx.10 seconds until LED turns off. -There are no lights on my key
3) Release both buttons and LED will turn on constantly. -No LED
4) Press large button for one second, LED will flash…re-sync. complete -Is the large button the logo button?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck View Post
Does the above also apply to an Evora?....
See post #19:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f221...6/#post4670313
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
Thanks 2011 chrome orange, great knowledge!

I'm not too sure if that applies as I just need them to sync with the vehicle again. Unless you are suggesting I get a new fob all together?
The issue is intermittent for me.

Last night:
- I held down the two buttons for 10 secs and this time, it worked.

This morning before work:
- Didn't work
- Tried a bunch of times after having both fobs with me and holding the buttons down, disarmed after N# of tries.

Get to work
- Won't lock or set the alarm
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks 2011 chrome orange, great knowledge!

I'm not too sure if that applies as I just need them to sync with the vehicle again.
Are the fobs allowing you to start the car?

First thing I would do is replace the batteries. Then, make sure you are close to the car. They are known to get interference and be intermittent . Lastly, I would try to re-sync one of them and see if it works better
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Are the fobs allowing you to start the car?

First thing I would do is replace the batteries. Then, make sure you are close to the car. They are known to get interference and be intermittent . Lastly, I would try to re-sync one of them and see if it works better
Yes I can start it. So my work around, which sucks, is to not lock the car (though, I haven't tried locking it manually) once inside, double tap the fob = locks the door + alarm beep = now it starts.
Is there a 2nd receiver inside the car?

I've been commuting in her so I haven't want to test around too much but this weekend I'll have time to narrow down it down more. It's not interference as it's happened in multiple locations.

Appreciate the replies! Being a new owner of this machine is emotionally taxing!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Yes I can start it. So my work around, which sucks, is to not lock the car (though, I haven't tried locking it manually) once inside, double tap the fob = locks the door + alarm beep = now it starts.
Is there a 2nd receiver inside the car?
Do you have an Evora or Evora 400? I'm not sure why you are locking the car, having the alarm beep and then starting it.
Normal starting procedure is:

"Before turning on the ignition; if the alarm tell tale in the speedometer face is flashing, mobilise the engine by pressing once the transmitter centre button; the alarm tell tale will be extinguished." Then turn the key to start it.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Do you have an Evora or Evora 400? I'm not sure why you are locking the car, having the alarm beep and then starting it.
Normal starting procedure is:

"Before turning on the ignition; if the alarm tell tale in the speedometer face is flashing, mobilise the engine by pressing once the transmitter centre button; the alarm tell tale will be extinguished." Then turn the key to start it.
I have an 2010 Evora.

What's happening:
1) Leaving car unlocked and not setting alarm incase fob lost connectivity
2) Open door, sit in car, demobilizer is flashing
3) fob lock car, fob alarm beep
4) turn key, lights flash twice
5) car starts

Honestly, it doesn't make sense to me either. I called the dealership, got my alarm PIN and they said they would resync my fobs and fix a few other things next week.

I know change batteries is troubleshooting 101 for fobs, but since it's happening with both and you'd have to assume one was used more than the other. Is skipping that step is unreasonable? Or worth eliminating anyway...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:00 AM

I've had spare fob batteries die on me on other cars and they fobs that were never used. Just like replacing my smoke detector batteries on a schedule, I replace all my fob batteries for every car I own at least once a year (even the spares). Do they need them at that point? Who knows, but batteries die from use and age. So, yes, to start, I would replace them both.

And, since you have the PIN now, you could also try to re-sync one fob and see if it works for that one. If so, try the other. If not, let the dealer look at it next week. (By the way, the first thing the dealer will probably do is change the batteries out as part of a trouble shoot...)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:28 AM

Did some more troubleshooting. So it seems isolated to locking and unlocking the doors. Hitting the middle button on the fob still disables the immobilizer.

Going to the dealership tomorrow regardless because they need to fix some peeling UV protector on the passenger light and some white coasting the came up from the engine on to the vents/grill.

Will post after!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 AM

Never followed up on this. Dealer replaced battery. No more issues *shrug*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Alarm/Immobilizer/CDL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in