Chimera battery died. - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:18 AM

Ok, quick follow up, I completely removed the ultra gauge from the car. The battery has been fine since, the car starts right up and maintains a good charge. I think i can safely conclude that there is no issue with the Chimera Battery, there was simply a higher current draw with the ultragauge plugged into the OBDII port.

2006 Black Exige
Chimera R.B.S./ITB airfilter/Composite Worx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 113 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 04:28 PM

Garage
Add me to the list. I have @ChronosWS 's old Exige and the chimera seems to be completely dead. Tried putting it on my charger, but it won't even register that it's connected. Will have to look for a replacement.

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #103 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 AM

Mine just died yesterday. Put it on a tender in the afternoon, it registered and was solid red. checked it this morning and found a flashing light. Not happy.

2006 Black Exige

post #104 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgt View Post
Mine just died yesterday. Put it on a tender in the afternoon, it registered and was solid red. checked it this morning and found a flashing light. Not happy.
My friend who works for an electric scooter manufacturer says that you need a special charged for these lithium ion batteries. Were you using one or just a standard charger?

2012 Porsche 991.1S white
2007 Exige S arctic silver (project)
2005 Elise magnetic blue/biscuit
2014 Audi Q5 3.0T scuba blue
post #105 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 AM

I was using a Deltran Battery Tender Lithium Charger

2006 Black Exige
post #106 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Kimgt, so sorry to hear this. That sucks. Seems like these things will eventually let go. I wonder what @Ryephile eventually came up with when doing all of his modifications to the battery...

As for myself, I've just gone with a Deka / BigCrank ETX20L AGM battery along with the associated mount + cutoff switch from Really Light Stuff. It is pretty damn light (though nowhere near the Chimera or Volt Phreaks) and it was cheap and it has NOT let me down. I just make sure to use the cutoff switch, I know this is a big caveat for some people but I'm done with messing around with expensive batteries. I don't have the shave-every-ounce bug and I don't compete at the limit so a bit of extra weight for a reliable battery solution is fine by me.

Thinking of K-swapping? Here's an idea of the cost involved.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1994 AUTOZAM AZ-1 MAZDASPEED Japanese Super Kei!
2014 FIAT 500e Hydroelectric powered EV daily driver.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.

Last edited by Butters; 04-16-2018 at 09:23 AM.
post #107 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:04 AM

So I took out the battery last night and it turn out that one of the cells was ruptured, it leaked some fluid when I took the caps off.

I was able to separate the casing from the cells without damaging anything, which is great. I feel I might be able to save and rebuild the battery if I can source the 38120HP cells required, I can just reuse the holders and bus bars then reassemble.

Butters - What did you do with your old CBS?

2006 Black Exige
post #108 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So I took out the battery last night and it turn out that one of the cells was ruptured, it leaked some fluid when I took the caps off.

I was able to separate the casing from the cells without damaging anything, which is great. I feel I might be able to save and rebuild the battery if I can source the 38120HP cells required, I can just reuse the holders and bus bars then reassemble.

Butters - What did you do with your old CBS?
I sold mine to member @Ryephile , I believe. We were in contact for a bit as he was disassembling my battery to salvage what he could from it and graft it to another Chimera. It was really interesting seeing all the differences between his CBS and mine.

Knowing what I know now (having been researching how to build a DIY powerwall for home/solar use) I would've definitely tried opening it up and replacing the dead cells. If you end up doing this, please post your thoughts, findings, and results for us to see!

I am forgetting but... does the CBS have any internal battery management system to balance the cells?

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
post #109 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:16 AM

LOL, i think you and I are kindred spirits. I was just doing the same thing, looking up how Telsa connected 18650 cells.

So the 38120HP cells are about $17 each, not too many retailers out there, but the ones out there don't say anything about matching the cells, but 8 should cost me about $136 (not including taxes/shipping) so it will be more expensive than just going with an odyssey pc680. Might do both

2006 Black Exige
post #110 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
LOL, i think you and I are kindred spirits. I was just doing the same thing, looking up how Telsa connected 18650 cells.

So the 38120HP cells are about $17 each, not too many retailers out there, but the ones out there don't say anything about matching the cells, but 8 should cost me about $136 (not including taxes/shipping) so it will be more expensive than just going with an odyssey pc680. Might do both
That's cool! Might be good to look into a BMS to help keep the cells healthy for future charge cycles.

post #111 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 10:50 AM

ugh, looks like all suppliers are from China and shipping costs are atrocious. This project might have to be put on hold.

2006 Black Exige
post #112 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM

My Chimera finally died as well. I ended up buying an Odyssey PC545. It was cheap and only 11 lbs. And I donít have to purchase a lithium battery tender.
Shinoo had quick shipping on a bracket as well.

1966 BRG Elan SE (sold)
2008 Isotope Green Exige 240
2017 Metallic Blue Evora 400
post #113 of 113 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Hello all, I'm dragging this post out of the depths. In 2012 I bought one of the Chimera prototypes what was designed to start V8 motors. I've got a 5L V8 in my G500. It's a "CBS" battery in that I believe it has all the longevity/protection related goodies, not super low weight. It has an on/off switch as well as the internal shut-off circuitry and a "reset" button.

As you can see it's not pretty but it's always been worth it to me because it does exactly what I wanted... it allows me to leave the car's motor turned off, but running my stereo and lights (or what-ever without paying attention) until it politely turns itself off. Fantastic really!

So it still functions well in that regard. It'll always shut itself off when it's low, and then it'll always fire the vehicle right up without any hesitation after resetting the battery. My observation is that it shuts itself off after a shorter amount of time than it used to, it's not urgent, but in the not-so-distant future, I'm tempted to dig into it and replace the cells. I've read into it enough that sourcing the 38120HP are as close to a drop-in replacement as I'm going to find.

So the question: I read here that the Lotus oriented battery had 8 cells for ~400 Amps cranking current? Does anybody know if it would be 16 cells in mine? Or does anybody have contacts and/or know who to ask?
Attached Images

2006 Aspen White Elise. LSS, LSD, Traction control, LS Toe Link Brace, LS Ohlins DA, Rota 15/16's, BOE surge tanks and Sector 111 Gpan2, Red leather, JL speakers all around with Acapulco MP54, CF dash top, gas shock opening rear deck, multi-vex mirros and replaced rear-view mirror with kit off this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Batteries, Brackets and Chargers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in