New lightweight battery solution - Deka - I think its identical to Braille 2015 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

New lightweight battery solution - Deka - I think its identical to Braille 2015

Our battery was about to shoot craps, so I began looking for a Braille or an Oddyssey 680. I've got the Sector 111 Braille bracket.

I found a thread on here where someone said "Deka" was the company building Braille. Since I couldn't fine a braille and an Odessey was $150 and 20 minutes away, I googled Deka and found a local supplier. I went there and took a look at what they had.

These appear to be IDENTICAL to the Braille. I've included pics with measurements as well as a PDF I found on the Deka website.

The battery weighs 12 pounds and has 200 CCAs with a 10AH rating. It appears identical to the Braille in size as it fit perfectly with the Sector111 bracket.

Best part - he only wanted $65 for it. If you're interested, he said he would ship:
Standard Battery
Jeff Daugherty
816-421-8118
Home - All Types of Batteries at Warehouse Prices

07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM

I just did a quick search on the web and saw a number of forums saying it was the same as the Braille branded battery. But, I can't say for sure that is accurate.

I saw online prices (before shipping) as low as $63.95 at online stores, and $55 on ebay (with $12 shipping).

It appears it may be sold under the brand name "Big Crank" as well.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:00 AM

Maybe one of you guys could add this to the battery sticky; good find.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 01:57 PM

Deka battery

Deka is one of the few USA companies which still produce their own battery,along with many other ones which they brand for other companies,so maybe it is?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Word is the highest tested Deka batteries are sent out to become Braille batteries, while the "lower" rated ones are labeled as the cheaper Deka batteries.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:32 AM
dmh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_racer View Post
Word is the highest tested Deka batteries are sent out to become Braille batteries, while the "lower" rated ones are labeled as the cheaper Deka batteries.
I can only imagine where you came up with that, however it is false. Braille is just a marketing company whereas Deka is a manufacturing company. (Iíve been there a few times.) We've been running Deka's for years just as many NASCAR teams do. They are popular with GA teams too.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 AM

I have been using my Deka battery for a full season now.
@ 6 lbs it has not failed me yet.
I paid $55 at a local Meyer store.

Chris

Ardent Red 2005
Delivered 12/04/04 #742 Auto Europe
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM

Battery Sticky revised to show some Deka models https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...1/#post1142265
Cheers,
Michael
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
I just did a quick search on the web and saw a number of forums saying it was the same as the Braille branded battery. But, I can't say for sure that is accurate...
Both batteries are produced by East Penn. Deka is just a brand - a lower spec one at that. Braille batteries are built to a higher spec range than the Deka. Building a product to meet a tighter tolerance costs more. Braille batteries offer a superior warranty as a result. They may appear to be the same on the surface but the insides are not.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM

So. This
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh View Post
I can only imagine where you came up with that, however it is false. Braille is just a marketing company whereas Deka is a manufacturing company. (Iíve been there a few times.) We've been running Deka's for years just as many NASCAR teams do. They are popular with GA teams too.
Or this
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Both batteries are produced by East Penn. Deka is just a brand - a lower spec one at that. Braille batteries are built to a higher spec range than the Deka. Building a product to meet a tighter tolerance costs more. Braille batteries offer a superior warranty as a result. They may appear to be the same on the surface but the insides are not.
?
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 12:42 PM

Both have a 1 year free replacement warranty... so yeah... and even if the Deka only had a 6 month warranty, I could buy two for less than the price of a braille.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
So. This

Or this

?
What shinoo, stated is exactly what all of my research and a large contingent on another forum have found as well. With independent battery testing they found that the Deka batteries were great, just that the Braille's were stronger, but of course cost more.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 AM
dmh

I am not saying Braille batteries are poor. The B2015 is the Deka EXT20L in a different case (same internals, exactly). Deka markets them for Power Sport applications whereas Braille targets auto enthusiasts.

Deka is simply the name East Penn sells under, i.e., engineer's at East Penn design and manufacture Deka batteries. All of this is easily verifiable. If you feel more comfortable with a Braille sticker on the battery -- fine. What battery you choose makes no difference to me.

(Don't believe the marketing nonsense concerning testing. Deka's specs are probably more accurate than those who rebadge them. Deka also makes BigCrank batteries as well as Magna Power among others. They are all the same.)

What I was commenting on was lack of posting insight. Maybe if posters actually knew a bit more about the topic they post about they might be able to pass on more helpful information.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by dmh; 09-16-2009 at 07:29 AM.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmh View Post
I am not saying Braille batteries are poor. The B2015 is the Deka EXT20L in a different case (same internals, exactly). Deka markets them for Power Sport applications whereas Braille targets auto enthusiasts.
Don,

With all due respect, [email protected] has insisted that his batteries are built to a higher specification than the Deka. Is your suggestion that they are the same is based on discussion with an engineer at East Penn or speculation? I've worked in the auto industry since 1985 and can attest that specifications can differ wildly - as a result, parts can perform very differently even though they look similar.

I will get the specifics from Braille.

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:52 AM

My opinion as a qualified electrical engineer, ignore specifications. The only correct way to compare products is to test them scientifically, side by side, in a real world environment.
Michael
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM

Batteries------

We could eliminate all these weight concerns------somebody just has to come up with a crank----like the starting systems on the pre war---ie the Great War-the "War to end all Wars"----WW1! leave the crank at home.weight savings! no battery! no starter! no electrics! no lights!
Or we could just be rational---whoever buys the smaller battery, regardless of the brand ,will have to use a "smart"charger on the car. WTF?
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:36 AM
dmh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Don,

With all due respect, [email protected] has insisted that his batteries are built to a higher specification than the Deka. Is your suggestion that they are the same is based on discussion with an engineer at East Penn or speculation? I've worked in the auto industry since 1985 and can attest that specifications can differ wildly - as a result, parts can perform very differently even though they look similar.

I will get the specifics from Braille.
Whether Blake insists or not, they are the exact same. Deka, Braille, NAPA, Walmart, Big Crank, Mega Power, who ever, it doesn't matter. That is according to Deka, the source, whose techinacal information representative says they are all made to the same specs with a different label and in Braille's case a different case (no pun intended). Anyway, I am not inferring anything negative about Braille -- just correcting misinformation.

Last edited by dmh; 09-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

In any case, even if the Braille batteries did test to a higher spec, what really matters is whether that difference is significant. Is a 1% difference worth 2.5 times the price? Would a 20% difference be worth that? Probably not.

Those of you who want the lightest battery at the cheapest price can rest assured that the Deka14 will start your Elise. We've got an amp, sub, and HIDs, so there is a bit of extra electrical load. If it starts the car and carries the same warranty, I'm not sure where the extra price is justified. Perhaps some premium is justified, but not 2.5 times the price.

I'll let you know if it starts in temps below freezing, but even our stock battery had problems with that.

If I was S111, i would carry the Deka as well as the Braille. For some, the extra specs (if they really exist) would be worth the extra dough. The rest of us probably have other ways to spend it and would prefer the Deka, especially since it is the cheapest battery option out there. The S111 bracket looks great and works with both, so they could continue to sell that.

FWIW, my bathroom scale measured my Deka at 11.2

07 ExigeS;05 Elise(RIP);06 V70R;12 JKUR
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:16 AM

I just got off the phone with Lou at East Penn Manufacturing.

Here's the deal per our conversation.

East Penn manufactures the Deka battery. We know that. Braille then takes that same East Penn Deka battery and does "some fancy stuff" to it (specific to the model apparently like putting it in a carbon case, fancy copper terminal) and does some fancy marketing. None of the "fancy stuff" changes the performance or specs of the battery at all. The inerts of both the Braille and the Deka remain identical.

jlj3394, nice find. Thanks.
exlondoner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Batteries, Brackets and Chargers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in