Help! Another Headlight Not Working (Not Bulb, Not Harness, gets "some" voltage) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Question Help! Another Headlight Not Working (Not Bulb, Not Harness, gets "some" voltage)

So I have searched through the threads to try and find the solution to my problem, but nothing has narrowed anything down for me.

I just bought my 2005 Elise and didnt think to check the lights. Well the night I bought it I noticed the driver's side headlight was out. Not a big deal I thought. I didnt want to buy a new standard bulb as I wanted to put HIDs in. HIDs came in took off the wheel installed it, and went to test it and nothing.... I took my multimeter and tested the voltage across the lines and I keep getting 1.47 Volts. Everything else works on the drivers side except the low beam headlight.
I started checking everything going down the line. First, between HID and ballast 1.47V, then ballast and factory bulb connections 1.47V.
I searched through the forum to look for similar issues, saw a thread about the main headlight harness having shorts, so I disconnected the 4 terminal plug and tested the headlight wiring there (checking continuity first) 1.47V.

So far all I am coming up with is that it could possibly be the Switch Pack Module. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone tested as I have and gotten similar results? Any other ways to test to find out what the faulty piece is here?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by evo4g63awd; 10-07-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 01:05 AM

14.7 I would believe, but 1.47 seems an odd number.
If you could also measure the ground impedance, and the current flow you will be closer to understanding it.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
14.7 I would believe, but 1.47 seems an odd number.
If you could also measure the ground impedance, and the current flow you will be closer to understanding it.

Yeah I thought it was 14.7 when I first checked it on the multimeter, unfortunately it really is 1.47V.

What will measuring the ground impedance do if all of the lights on the passenger side run off the same ground? Everything works except the low beam.
Attached Images

Last edited by evo4g63awd; 10-08-2013 at 08:34 AM.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 05:38 AM

My guess is that there is a corroded or bad connection somewhere.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

If it was a corroded or bad connection I dont think I would get a consistant voltage through that wire. I would think it would fluxuate and would more than likely be all or nothing in regards to voltage.

Im looking for the next best place to check. I have followed the harness back as far is I could with the wheel off. Any advice on the next place to check?

I plan on taking of the light switch/starter panel tonight and testing behind there. Any other thoughts?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo4g63awd View Post
Yeah I thought it was 14.7 when I first checked it on the multimeter, unfortunately it really is 1.47A.

What will measuring the ground impedance do if all of the lights on the passenger side run off the same ground? Everything works except the low beam.
1.47 A or V? Just curious, if you are measuring voltage, what setting do you have your multimeter on under the DC section?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXtasy View Post
1.47 A or V? Just curious, if you are measuring voltage, what setting do you have your multimeter on under the DC section?
Sorry, typo on my part. 1.47 VOLTS

I am using the auto range setting if that's what you are asking.

Voltage tested appropriately on the parking lights and on the low beam on the passenger side. Just above 12vs as it should be.

Last edited by evo4g63awd; 10-08-2013 at 09:26 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah I thought it was 14.7 when I first checked it on the multimeter, unfortunately it really is 1.47V.

Well I would measure the side that works
1) +V
2) ground resistance

Then measure the side that does not work.
If the ground was bad, then there is no current flow and hence no light.

Much the same as having water pressure, but the tap being closed, and hence no water gets into the glass.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
Well I would measure the side that works
1) +V
2) ground resistance

Then measure the side that does not work.
If the ground was bad, then there is no current flow and hence no light.

Much the same as having water pressure, but the tap being closed, and hence no water gets into the glass.
You should try to run a "test" ground, another wire to direct chassis ground to see if this will fix it. I can help if needed.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
You should try to run a "test" ground, another wire to direct chassis ground to see if this will fix it. I can help if needed.

Other than being a MacGyver solution for no meter; How does that differ from measuring the resistance?
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 AM

My corroded connection idea came from an experience this summer. One of the amplifiers in my boat suddenly quick working. After running some diagnostics, I checked the supply voltage to find something like you have, I don't remember the number but it was weird-low. Much like you, I was left scratching my head. I disconnected the supply wire and it read 12v so I started looking at the wire. It turns out that an in-line fuse had a bit of corrosion causing a significant voltage drop with any current draw at all. Cleaned the fuse ends and it is working fine.

I am not saying that this is your problem, but it sounds similar enough to consider.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your insights everyone. I will try these last few tests before taking SirLotus's recommendation of replacing the SPM.

There are so many similar instances of issues that directly relate to the failure of the Switch Pack Module. I was just wishful in thinking that there would be something or a solution that I didnt think of before forking over the money on this piece.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

The leads on my multimeter need to be replaced. I couldnt even get them to register continuity when touching the two leads together. As I couldn't check the resistance, I tried a new ground instead. Finally threw in the towel and bought a new switch pack module. I'll update this thread once I get it in.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Just got my new SPM in yesterday and put it in after work.

LET THERE BE LIGHT! Fixed my issue. I also noticed that the light for the headlight switch panel was not working, but thought that was just bad. That is now working as well.

For all who are curious, I had version B117M0008 and replaced it with E117M0008F.

Last edited by evo4g63awd; 10-30-2013 at 10:02 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Just got my new SPM in yesterday and put it in after work.

LET THERE BE LIGHT! Fixed my issue. I also noticed that the light for the headlight switch panel was not working, but thought that was just bad. That is now working as well.

For all who are curious, I had version B117M0008 and replaced it with E117M0008F.
Did you by chance damage the dash while performing this work?
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelthrasher View Post
Did you by chance damage the dash while performing this work?
Are you my personal forum troll?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

^ Da' man!

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 PM

That's funny...............

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:17 PM
Krypton Green Elise

Same problem here... I have 3 days into electric troubleshooting. I even have a wire tracer sounder.

My passenger side low beam is dead. Have perfect ground. Continuity everywhere I can get to, and tracer sounder detects wire as far as I can see or reach.

Where is this switch module located ?? How much is it? Ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electrical > Lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in