New Elan coming, and it's getting fat - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM

Doesn't that Elan looks just like an Evora? Elise that will be both bigger and heavier than the old one and its going to "keep our current customers happy"? What happens to the Exige?

Richard

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM

Exige usually follows later, based on history of the S1 and S2. 320 hp? Great. 2400 .lbs? Hmmm...not so great, though still lighter than any offering from Porsche.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseAtLeast View Post
Doesn't that Elan looks just like an Evora? Elise that will be both bigger and heavier than the old one and its going to "keep our current customers happy"? What happens to the Exige?
It think it looks better than the Evora.

And yeah... heavier Elise will keep "us" happy?

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Can anyone say Maserati? The new lotus eterna...

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:16 PM

no people, the writer just has terrible writing skills,

Quote:
There will also be a new Elan coming, positioned above a relaunched Elise that will be both bigger and heavier than the old one.
"that" is referring to "Elan"

How can the Elise be the old one, when it is still in current production?

Maybe some of you just can read english?

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Outstanding work agents gtornes78 and Vantage!! The Elise looks and sounds great ... as long as the price point is in line. I guess I don't understand where the Evora fits into the future other than as a stopgap until these concepts go into production.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 PM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
no people, the writer just has terrible writing skills,

"that" is referring to "Elan"

How can the Elise be the old one, when it is still in current production?

Maybe some of you just can read english?
Uh, the "that" is referring to the relaunched Elise. The specs show it being both larger and 500lbs heavier.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM

ummm. They sort of all look the same? The Elise SC with 220 HP is 0-60 in 4.4. While I realize it's not a linear relationship, the extra 100 HP in the new Elise lowers that to 4.3? I'm sure there's a lot more driveability built in and more mid-range torque, but still, that extra 400+ pounds certainly takes a toll.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Uh, the "that" is referring to the relaunched Elise. The specs show it being both larger and 500lbs heavier.
I don't believe those specs. come on, 500 pounds heavier?

if he wants to keep current owners happy, this won't do it.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:41 PM

Garage
The new Elan looks fantastic. (might be the color) Now just make it with a proper manual gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliseAtLeast View Post
It fixes the major styling flaw on the Evora, the point where the rear-side window, roof and B/C pillar meet.

The elan looks to me more like the McLaren 12-C without the ginormous side scoop.

2005 Lotus Elise - 2012 FIAT 500 Abarth

Last edited by RXEight; 09-29-2010 at 06:50 PM.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:48 PM

I'm all about keeping these cars light weight, and the specs released earlier in this thread are a bit disconcerting.

Seems our S2 versions should hold their value quite nicely as a vestige to the last of the "light weight" era.

Almost as troubling, however, is the reference to "dct" transmissions in all the cars.

I'm hopeful that is perhaps an option, and a traditional manual gearbox is standard (or at worst an option to the 'standard dct'). Time will tell, I suppose, but I'm a bit old school and do appreciate having the 3rd pedal down in the footwell.

07 AW Exige S - Track Pack, sun visors and rear view mirror removed
02 Subaru WRX Wagon - bone stock, 115K miles, running strong as ever
00 Toyota Tundra V8 4x4 - lifted, 33's, a bit beat up but gets the job done quite well
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 PM

DCT should definitely be an option on all models, but it shouldn't be standard on the Elise. If DCT is the only option for the 4 door and the heaviest 2-door, then I can live with that, since very few of those buyers will opt for a traditional manual anyway.
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:52 PM

Man. As long as these cars are easier to get in/out of, aren't deafeningly loud during normal driving, have a competent AC that can keep the cabin cool during the summer, and have interior components that stay in place and don't leak (I'm looking at you passenger side speaker cover... and you door sill glue...) I'm sold.

I notice the black lower half on the rear of the cars is back... And no bumperettes!
Also... no side intakes. They're all sucking the air in from the c pillar.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishus_1 View Post
I have a feeling the white one with the black accents and soft top is the Elise.
Looks like an even larger and more expensive rear clam to be replaced in a small accident...
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 PM

I don't know what to say? on the one hand 5 new Loti awesome, however the styling is a mixed bag. For the record I didn't like the S2 at first but when I saw it in person; I still think it's one of the best most original designs. These cars look futuristic and extremly aerodynamic without the georgeous coke bottle lines or fuss of the current cars, evora feels like a bridge between the generations. The S2 will probably be remembered for it's originality, the new cars will age very well given the more conventional less fussy designs. All supercars should be shocking almost hard to love at first but timeless and beautiful. I have been anticipating the new Esprit for years, and although I am not blown away it's still very exciting and the cars, all of them look better than most of the previous sketches floating around.:co olnana: FIVE NEW CARS

00MR2 Spyder
CO Elise, mods-stage 2
Beauty is not only a terrible thing. It is also a mysterious thing. There God and the Devil strive for mastery, and the battleground is the heart of men.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM

somehow missed one, OK not sure about the new elise. 500 lbs heavier too? Lotus what happened? I already expressed my feelings about design, but specs; we don't know enough yet, but I'm not the only one that thought the Evora was too heavy. Is it possible to have a 2600 lb Esprit with 620hp, and the Elite at 2400, no? at least keep the Elise under 2000. How about a spiritual succesor to the 7 at 1200 lbs. I am in the majority here when I say I like my Lotus hardcore with a traditional manual gearbox.

00MR2 Spyder
CO Elise, mods-stage 2
Beauty is not only a terrible thing. It is also a mysterious thing. There God and the Devil strive for mastery, and the battleground is the heart of men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Future Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in