Paris Autoshow General Impressions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Paris Autoshow General Impressions

So, I feel like we're all feeling a little overwhelmed by having all of these new cars thrown at us so quickly. To say the forum is divided over the new Lotus lineup is an understatement. Some people are saying that they look better than ever; some feel like the only attractive part of these Lotus machines is the little yellow badge on the front of them.

Personally, I love the Elite as a car, despite the fact that it doesn't remind me of a Lotus at all. The new Elan looks like a fun little car, and I have no problems with it. The Elise... the only good part is the rear end, which looks strikingly similar to the Elan's. Esprit's pretty much what everyone's been expecting, I think.

I think this whole thing will be a horrible disappointment to Lotus fans, but if Lotus wants to get seriously noticed in the current auto world, I think they're on the right track. These cars, as copied and bland as they may be, will refuse to go unnoticed by the press and a lot of upmarket buyers.

I just wish they, uh, wouldn't f*** with the Elise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM

I agree with all of your opinions except as a fan of Lotus far before the Elise (unlike some members) I don't think it's a disppointment at all that Lotus is on the cutting edge of design. These models do not show much Asian infuence (not a bad thing, just not traditionally Lotus) as I previously expected with that first Elite rendering. The Elan and Esprit are two of the best looking new designs out there in my opinion.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 PM

I agree completely. I love the new Elan... but if I saw the elan or esprit driving in the city, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart right away...maybe because they are both so new and unfamiliar. The Elite looks nice, a luxury exotic. The Eterne is the family exotic that is comparable to a 4 door Maserati gran turismo... and the elise doesn't really look great... I'm gonna hold on to my Exige though... but one day I wouldn't mind owning an Elan.

My favorite in order:

1) Elan
2) Esprit
3) Elite
4) Eterne
5) Elise

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Abe

You guys know my opinion...I LIKE'EM ALL

Only hurdle is funding. I say 2 maybe 3 if we're lucky will come to fruition

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 PM

Garage
Overall I am Ok on the styling. It is nowhere near as good as the Elise/Exige. But this may have better mass market appeal.

I like the Elan. My favorite of the bunch. Not that I'll be able to afford one in the next 10 years.

The Esprit looks like an updated NSX, which I guess was kind of a copy off the Esprit.

I dont like the new Elise.

Now for the piggys. I'm not big on the idea of a 4 door Lotus. But it does look better than the Maseratti (dont like the front) and much better than the Porsche. I would like the Elite at 3000 lbs.

Stay positive. At least there is no SUV. Immagine the freakout if that happened.

My #1 question. Can I get any of these witha proper manual gearbox? If the car only has a semi-automatic flappy paddle 2 pedal deal I would be dissapointed regardless of the styling.

And finally, I'm glad all this leaked tonight. I wanst getting anything done at work tomorrow before lunch if it all hit at 9:45 like planned.

2005 Lotus Elise - 2012 FIAT 500 Abarth
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXEight View Post
Stay positive. At least there is no SUV. Immagine the freakout if that happened.
Well put. Although, if Lotus succeeds in this as well as I truly hope they do, I'd say the hideously unpleasant Lotus SUV concept is five years off or so.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:01 PM
maz

just wow...

www.lotuscarclub.org
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know." (rumsfeld)
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:10 PM

Spoke to someone from Lotus USA a few weeks ago. Expect to see them all in LA come Nov.

Abe 2 or 3. Well think the Elise is a given, pretty sure the Esprit is far enough along that its in. So I'd vote for the Elan for the 3rd spot... yeah 5 in 5 years seen like a bit much, Guess that would be the best case.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 PM

ALL THE NEW LOTUS'S LOOK THE SAME

1967 Lincoln continental - Auto cross/ Track day car
2005 Honda Ruckus - when fast isn't fast enough
1973 Ford Pinto with Ferrari lug nut - The show stopper
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Garage
They do and that's intentional to bring new brand recognition -which is a good thing because most people never new what an Elise/Exige/Evora are. Great for owners but bad for a company trying to make a profit.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM

seems like the new guy wants to take lotus into lambo and ferarri territory.

to be totally honest, if I were to spend that kind of money on an exotic, no f'ing way I would buy a lotus.

give me a ferrari that has stood by it's heritage.

heritage is something that people want that dollar bracket.

What person, that just spent $150k on their new exotic lotus wants to go to pebble beach and park next to a bunch of $25k used elise's and $15k elan's?

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen White
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 PM

i just wish they would have made the elan more like a full on roadster, like the original. then there would be enough variety for me. It's almost like they said "okay lets make a new design for our cars" "okay here it is" "looks great!" "okay now use the exact same shape but make one i bit longer one a bit shorter, and one with a digital tach"
the evora is all thats left! and that still has similar styling....

1967 Lincoln continental - Auto cross/ Track day car
2005 Honda Ruckus - when fast isn't fast enough
1973 Ford Pinto with Ferrari lug nut - The show stopper
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
seems like the new guy wants to take lotus into lambo and ferarri territory.

to be totally honest, if I were to spend that kind of money on an exotic, no f'ing way I would buy a lotus.

give me a ferrari that has stood by it's heritage.

heritage is something that people want that dollar bracket.

What person, that just spent $150k on their new exotic lotus wants to go to pebble beach and park next to a bunch of $25k used elise's and $15k elan's?
That's a valid point. Priced the same as a Ferrari, I think most would take the Ferrari. I figure Lotus will have to price cheaper -maybe 911 Turbo or R8 territory.

I'm sure the new market team will come into play too and they'll probably play up the old Espirt's and Lotus heritage. I think only the Lotus enthusiasts will know they pretty much just spit on the face of the recent cars (Elise/Exige/Evora).

As for the $150K owner parking next to the $25K used Elise, that probably explains why the new car have no trace of Lotus old styling designs. I see a rift between old and new Lotus owners in the near future.

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 PM

I was hoping for a more jaw dropping design for the Esprit.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM
alp
likes to drive fast

I can see a Lotus game show in the works where the name tags on the new Lotus cars are swapped and contestants are supposed to put them back correctly. It will be quite challenging.

2009 Exige S260
2011 Evora [sold]
2005 Elise [sold]
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 PM

The new design language seems to be "spaceship".
(just look at the tail of the Elan)

It's 12:30am and I've just seen these so I won't pass judgement yet.
I'll sleep on it.

2006 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise TC/LSD/Track/Sport/Touring - daily(ish) driver
2013 Focus ST - for those other days
1995 Mitsubishi Delica - exploration machine

2009 SCCA National Championship - 2nd CMod
2005 Canadian National Champion - CSP
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 PM

Garage
I'm pretty sure these five new cars will make a really big impression on the automotive world when the rest of the world finds out in about a day or so. Good job Lotus.

post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 PM

Last thought b4 bed.

Seeing as the new design language is all quite connected; does this spell a swift end to the Evora? It certainly is now the black sheep of the family.

2006 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise TC/LSD/Track/Sport/Touring - daily(ish) driver
2013 Focus ST - for those other days
1995 Mitsubishi Delica - exploration machine

2009 SCCA National Championship - 2nd CMod
2005 Canadian National Champion - CSP
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
That's a valid point. Priced the same as a Ferrari, I think most would take the Ferrari. I figure Lotus will have to price cheaper -maybe 911 Turbo or R8 territory.

I'm sure the new market team will come into play too and they'll probably play up the old Espirt's and Lotus heritage. I think only the Lotus enthusiasts will know they pretty much just spit on the face of the recent cars (Elise/Exige/Evora).

As for the $150K owner parking next to the $25K used Elise, that probably explains why the new car have no trace of Lotus old styling designs. I see a rift between old and new Lotus owners in the near future.

It appears Lotus hasn't set themselves apart far enough from their intended competitors in the lux space. Perhaps once we learn of the specs, we'll see more of this differentiation...like having similar or better performance with twice the fuel economy, along with a "green" technology roadmap for cars to come...

I just got done with a survey I did for them and from the questions, they seem heavily focused on this idea of being a socially responsible, innovative car manufacturer... I guess we'll find out when we learn more later today.
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alp View Post
I can see a Lotus game show in the works where the name tags on the new Lotus cars are swapped and contestants are supposed to put them back correctly. It will be quite challenging.

00MR2 Spyder
CO Elise, mods-stage 2
Beauty is not only a terrible thing. It is also a mysterious thing. There God and the Devil strive for mastery, and the battleground is the heart of men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Future Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in