POLL: Do you like the new Lotus look? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
View Poll Results: POLL: Do you like the new Lotus look?
The new look is awesome. I love it! 20 21.05%
I like it. It's not perfect, but overall it's a great design direction. 28 29.47%
Not really. They aren't terrible, but I was hoping for something different. 39 41.05%
The new look is AWEFUL!!!!!! 8 8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

POLL: Do you like the new Lotus look?

Simple question..

I'd like to quantify what the LotusTalk community thinks of Lotus now....So I want to do a couple of polls on the design and business opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Abe

You know my feeling which has been evident on quite a few post these last couple of days

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

I wonder, maybe I should have posted this in the General Discussions forum, for more exposure.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Abe

No worries, those who are on here on a daily basis knows to click on the "New Posts" to see what's going on

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:57 PM

I like it overall, but not what they are doing to the elise.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM

I think it's a nice evolution and it actually gives me more "pride in ownership" as the brand once again elevates itself to where it should be...the realm of the exotics! The "new era" was needed to rejuvenate the brand. Though I will always love my EliseSC...I'm looking for the upgrade a few years down the road!

- Perry.

GG Elise8 Loaded without LSD in a custom wrap...
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12OUTRN View Post
I think it's a nice evolution and it actually gives me more "pride in ownership" as the brand once again elevates itself to where it should be...the realm of the exotics! The "new era" was needed to rejuvenate the brand. Though I will always love my EliseSC...I'm looking for the upgrade a few years down the road!
let me bring you back down to reality.

you want to know what the 'new' lotus thinks of your elise?

well, they have forced all the lotus dealerships to remodel and move 'upscale' for the new cars. If they can't afford to do so, they are no longer lotus dealers.

they want to disassociate themselves from the cheap elise and exige.

it's like having an LFA out there... doesn't make the corolla any more exotic.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
let me bring you back down to reality.

well, they have forced all the lotus dealerships to remodel and move 'upscale' for the new cars. If they can't afford to do so, they are no longer lotus dealers.

it's like having an LFA out there... doesn't make the corolla any more exotic.
spot on .. wish I had a nickel every time exclusive was dropped in the introduction video. Should've named the lineup Exclusive A, B, C and D.

The Elan might steal some Porsche turbo or Audi R-8 customers but the other models.

Perhaps Lambo and Ferrari (McClaren) have priced themselves too high in this down market and the Esprit at 40K less will make a go of it. The four door is going up against Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Lambo and even Porsche. Good luck with that. All thats missing is a SUV.

Wonder if a manual transmision will be an option in the Esprit or Elan?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12OUTRN View Post
I think it's a nice evolution and it actually gives me more "pride in ownership" as the brand once again elevates itself to where it should be...the realm of the exotics!
+1!
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:25 AM

lets be honest, the styling is piss poor... withthe exception of the Elite. everythong else needs to go back for a rework. the elan is the best of the 3. looks good for a mini 550 maranello. a good front engine rwd styled car....

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM

All the newer Lotus designs look the same, and they all look like Lambos or Accords.

2005 Bordeaux Met #21 (HT, Touring, Quicksilver ext, TRM F1 wheels, Stan Stud, HID lights, BWR S/C,Filled motor mounts, catch can, no camber shims, Tillett saddles)
2004 Audi S4 Sedan (Tip, GAIC Chip, AWE Cat-back, Team Dyanmics Pro 1.2 wheels, H-sport sway bars)
2002 F-350 (Powerstroke, 4x4, Banks power pack, 6th alternator)
Couple nice bicycles, way too many snow skis.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 12:04 PM

It seems to me that these cars are going to be much more impressive in person. The only thing I miss with a lot of the modern sports cars is holes. I like lots of holes (air intakes and outlets) in a car.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:10 PM

I have to admit the new styling is growing on me. But why does the Elise have to be the only bad one?

as project Lotus advances, peace is closer...
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallingt View Post
All the newer Lotus designs look the same, and they all look like Lambos or Accords.
From the front, the new Lotus designs all look the same except for the Elise. I dont like this because you cant tell one model from the other. Maybe in person, they look different, but from the pictures they look the same.

This can either be positive or negative depending on how you look at it.

I hate the fact that all Porsches look the same from the front, and I also have trouble trying to tell a Lambo Murcielago from a Gallardo from the front. And dont even mention Aston Martin- All of their cars look identical from the front and back. Mercedes did this in the 70's and 80's too. You had to read the back in order to see if it was a 300 450 or 560 series. Some people bought the cheaper ones and debadged them so you had no idea of what model it was.

What the similar front end does is identify the brand. This is a good thing. A kidney shape grill is a BMW trademark, but theiir cars dont look exactly the same from the front. It is easy to tell a 3 series from a 5 series, and a 7 series.

The problem with having all the cars look the same from the front is that more people who are into status symbols might buy the cheaper cars because they look like the more expensive cars. Porsche Boxsters look almost the same as 911's until you look at them from behind. A person may by a Boxster since it looks like a 911. This might be good for the brand because people who cant afford the top of the line car can buy the lower priced car. I think this is why Porsche is successful. $50K for a Boxster might be OK for some but over 100K for a 911 (or whatever they are called now) might be out of the range of a lot of people. Their old 924's looked similar to the 928's and were about one third the price. Champion Porsche became the largest dealer in the country becasue they bought out the unsold 924's back in the 80's and sold them at bargain prices, which then increased their allocation for the more expensive models that they were able to make a bigger profit on.

However, the cars looking the same might turn offf purchasers of higher end models. Why pay $200K for a top of the line Aston Marin 12 cylinder, when a 6 or 8 cylinder model looks identical to it and costs half the price, or looks similar to a Jaguar that costs 1/3 the price. Why buy a 911 Turbo when a Boxster looks the same. However buyers of the top of the line cars usually have more disposable income and want the extra performance that these models offer. Many Ferrari owners traded in their 360's to get 430's even though they look identical, but since they have the money, they just want the newest model and dont care about the cost.

What I would like to see Lotus do is make the front ends look similar but not identical. Jaguar had mesh grills their suoercharged cars to distinguish them from regular models but this is not enough. I hate the way that Bangle made the cars look but like I mentioned before BMW has done the best job of keeping brand awareness while having model identity separate.

Personally I dont like the rear design of the cars except for the Esprit, and think the 4 door looks too much like the Fisker or Maserati. The one car looks like a Solara convertible from the rear and the other looks like an old Mitsubhi Eclipse.The rear ends need to be more exotic looking and share a similar but slighly different look- sort of like Ferraris having round lights or Corvettes having 4 rear round or oval lights. It doesnt have to be the taillights, but some styling element that would make it stand out and identify it as a Lotus.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 PM

my 2 cents

The problem I have with the new look is that, it is not a new look!...one looks like a lambo the other like an aston martin.....their asses all are very similar......

in my book different model comes with different look/design.......

So in other words I do not like the new look....what I do like is the variety, and power that will be available......not sure if I am going to buy one when there are other options at that price like an R8, Aston Martin etc

The Elise was unique in that it was affordable exotic......that stayed true to the founders concepts........while the new ones are wales that compensate for weight with more power..

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM

As said above, Lotus isn't offering a lot of unique things in it's visual styling. I see a half dozen other cars (Lambo, Aston, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, etc) when I look at the new cars. There is very little that is uniquely Lotus. The worst of all is the Mitsubishi Evo X-like front on the Elise.

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Your argument is invalid. A new Elise can go for 55K, a new Exige can go for 75K. And yet, they make it very clear that the 2015 Elise target price was 55K, smack in the middle of the current Elise/Exige offerings.

Its not like Lotus doesn't have a history of making expensive cars. The Evora is a underpowered turd at 90K and the Esprit was 90K a decade ago. Lotus is simply making cars that fit within todays marketplace with todays consumer expectations and the price comes along with it.

Jr.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 PM

Everyone seems to think the Elise is the "bad" one. I'd like to see it back at 2000lbs and then I don't care if it looks like a used condom, as long as its a fast one!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Great point. They almost apologize for the current state of the company. Like the current line up is an embarrassment or something.

Sold Lotus, bought 911C4S. The Lotus didn't do too well in the snow.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas213 View Post
As said above, Lotus isn't offering a lot of unique things in it's visual styling. I see a half dozen other cars (Lambo, Aston, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, etc) when I look at the new cars. There is very little that is uniquely Lotus. The worst of all is the Mitsubishi Evo X-like front on the Elise.
this is what I thought when I first saw it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Future Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in