Who is Happy with the Direction Lotus is leading us Towards? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Abe

Who is Happy with the Direction Lotus is leading us Towards?

Enough with the negativity threads

This is a $1B dollar project that Lotus needs to get funding for and whether it's Proton who provides the financial backing or some other manufacturer who buys Lotus, I'm 100% completely onboard with this

Trust me, I get it. You guys were attracted to the whole "performance thru lightweight" philosophy but in the end, Lotus is in the business of being profitable and regardless of what you feel how the company should have been run, Lotus has been unprofitable for MANY, MANY years.

Something had to eventually change and I for one am happy that it took a REAL marketing person to market Lotus better than his predecessors who were more engineers than marketing experts...no offense to them btw.

Like the saying goes, "you can't have your cake and eat it" The niche market (Elise/Exige) dried up years ago and unfortunately more used Lotus cars were/are being sold than new.

This if nothing else gets people talking about Lotus good, bad or indifferent but more importantly, will cater to the masses.

I remember when the whole 993 vs. 996, air-cooled vs water-cooled and yada, yada, yada debate went over, yet Porsche managed to become the most profitable auto manufacturer in the business. Even in a down economy where my industry had the worst August in history, Porsche along with Audi had a strong earning.

People talk about the Chris Bangle design yet BMW sold more cars in that ERA than previous designers.

Everyone speaks of a crowded market, really? I see Aston Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche/Audi. Does it really hurt the market or better yet would customers really feel insulted that Lotus has entered this market? Maybe to enthusiasts but to the masses which Lotus is catering to, it's not. Variety is the spice of life, Lotus is part of that spice and isn't it many of you who say competition is good for business?

If not now, when is Lotus to enter this market and show case their engineering prowess? I mean, C'mon now! They've won soo many awards and achieved many accolades, why not give them a chance?

Don't look at these designs as final products but rather, look at them with the potential of being much better. 2013 is when we "should" see the first model (Esprit) and there's many things that can happen to better the product. Also, look at it as a way of funding their way to the true Lotus mantra which cannot be achieved thru the current system.

To me it's a small price to pay although I'm really digging ALL their concepts.

I keep reading, "Colin Chapman would be rolling in his grave", really? I think Mr. Chapman would have done this years ago and still be the innovator he was and not wait 13+ painful years of being unprofitable.

I cannot wait until the LA auto show when these same cars will be on display at the same location Lamborghini is typically at

Here's hoping for the best, GO Lotus

This is where people typically say, "FLAME SUIT ON", me? Fire at will

Abe Reyes

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 AM

Abe, you couldn't have put it better.. I'm with you on this one...
post #3 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:24 AM

You have it right Abe. Lotus needs a new plan that appeals to a larger market, I hope they're successful. Go Lotus!!

My car is modified.
www.lotussport.org

post #4 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:45 AM

Love it!

Not a fan of the narrow driver's foot well, though... It's angled to the right like a Cayman. Not very comfortable IMO. But the design DNA looks pretty F-ing incredible.

- Jeremy -
post #5 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:02 AM

Well, I totally understand what they are doing and why they are doing it.
I also believe they are doing it right.

Still, I love Lotus because it gave people like me the opportunity to drive a real race car for an affordable price.

If they keep an affordable low-powered Elise in their range, I will think they are even better than Ferrari, Lambo and co for making the dream accessible to normal people.

If they don’t, they are lost to me, because they will be just another brand making car for the ultra rich and why should I bother about cars I will never be able to afford and drive?
I never did and never will.
If I am not good/rich enough for them, then that´s where are ways will part.
I will wish them good luck and will forget about them.

In that regard, I am extremely happy I bought my Elise before that big change.

March 2009 Arctic Silver Elise S
Dark-red soft-top finally there!
post #6 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:22 AM

Same here, if I need heavy high HP car, I will go for others.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #7 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:30 AM

I'm 100% with you Abe. I love the new direction and if we want to see Lotus around in another 50 years, they have to sell more cars and become profitable.
post #8 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:32 AM

Financially they need a new direction. Why not compete with the big boys. They are already doing it in a smaller fashion now. Just in both feet and run with it I say
post #9 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:49 AM

I just don't want Lotus to become just another generic sports car manufacturer. I don't want them to lose their uniqueness.

2007 Exige S - Krypton Green - VF Stage 2 - RLS Intercooler - Volk TE37s - B&M Shifter - 2bular header & exhaust - Sector111 motorsport engine mounts - stripes - harnesses - Pagid pads - Green air filter
post #10 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:58 AM

Garage
+1 Abe. It's that old resistance to change. Lots of people here would be happy if the Elise/Exige never changed (like a Harley). They whine and piss about it now and then will later say, "well, it's starting to grow on me" or "wow, looks better in person than in pictures." I guess when you hang around vehicle forums long enough, the reaction is very cliche.

Back in 2005, there were very few cars under $150,000 that looked like an Elise. In 2010, there are very few cars that look like the new Elise. Sure it's got Lamborghini design traits. Is that a bad thing?

The way I see it, change is inevitable. It's gonna happen. Make peace with it.

2005 Lotus Elise- SOLD 6/9/07
2011 Lotus Evora - SOLD 4/18/13
2011 Lotus Evora S - SOLD - 10/7/14
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS - SOLD 2/13/16
2016 Something else in red
post #11 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 04:59 AM

Garage
PS: Please get these cars into production because I'm in the market in 2011. Keep the Elise in the Boxster/Boxster S/Audi TTS price point and I'm in!!!

post #12 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 AM

I am happy with the direction that Lotus is headed as long as they don't mess with the Elise/Exige. Lotus needs to have a model that still caters to us hardcore Lotus owners. The new Elise is a little disappointing.

Richard

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'95 Miata (Montego Blue)
post #13 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Dany Bahar, Chief Executive Officer of Group Lotus, said: “We worked very hard on getting the Elise 2015 exactly right, it’s our entry level car so it needs to give a proper introduction to the Lotus driving experience.”

“The Elise you can buy now is still a fantastic car, make no mistake, Lotus remain very proud of it, but this is a natural progression for us moving forward. The Elise 2015 will also be class-leading in terms of performance and efficiency but it will do more than that it will take the Elise model to the forefront of its class across the board.”

“The design of the Elise 2015 is perfect for the target market, it’s young, strong, confident, verging on ruthless, it mirrors the engineering and technology. It’s the next generation Elise for a new generation of Lotus drivers.”

Fear not though, despite the dramatic upgrades the Elise 2015 has lost none of the cheeky charm that made the two-seater sports car famous, it still retains performance through lightweight and handles like a dream – albeit a quite aggressive and tension filled dream. With a 2.0 litre inline 4 pressure charged engine delivering up to 320 PS, the Elise 2015 should reach 0-100kph in under 4.5 seconds.
Lotus Elise – The Grown Up | The Lotus Forums

post #14 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 AM

Some good points there. As for Porsche being the most profitable company, to me that means their cars are simply overpriced. They have HUGE margins. Thats not common in todays market so good for them and their marketing machine. If anything, Porsche has almost gone mainstream. 4-door cars, SUVs, small roadsters. Ferry Porsche might be rolling in HIS grave! Whatever.

As for Lotus, Id like them to mainly stay the course and continue to offer unique sports cars that undercut the Italian competition while being just as desireable and "cool". The new Esprit, arguably their most interesting/exciting car over the years is a step in the right direction. The Evora, IMO is terrific car that offers a lot.

Id like to see Lotus potentially get back into the engine-building game. I know its costly or whatever but if they want to play in the big boys market they must have unique engines along with the cars themselves. Cant they get that V8 from the later Esprit out and tweak that a bit? Or, how about my dream of seeing the 910 engine back in the game?

Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
post #15 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:19 AM

The more I look at the concepts both as a set and individually, the more I like them. The strongest design language Lotus ever had was the Elise and Exige. Re-imagining the brand as a 5 car lineup with matching design language yet each having distinct character is great for brand recognition in the long-term. The fact that the lineup will cover a significantly larger swath both financially and application-wise is a big step-up for Lotus being honestly considered as a worldly manufacturer and not "just" a successful kit-car company.

Kudos to Lotus, I hope it all works out!

'07 Exige S270 :: Aspen White ::

"This is like O. Henry and Alanis Morissette had a baby and named it "this exact situation"."
Sterling Mallory Archer
post #16 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:22 AM

Yes and No

I think you have to make a distinction between business direction and styling direction.

Am I happy that Lotus is expanding and offering new cars so the company can survive? Absolutely.

Am I happy with the new styling on any of these cars? Absolutely not.

'06 AR Elise
post #17 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 AM

I'm happy with their new models but they must keep their price range acceptable under Ferrari and lambos. The Elise and Exige still have their own place with those futur coming models because they deserve a totally different kind of customer.

The Elan and the Esprit look awesome and very modern. I wish I could afford the new Elan.

This is how their product line should be priced :

Elise : 55k-60K

Exige : 70-75K

Evora : 80K-85K

Elan : 100-105k

Esprit : 150K

07 Exige S300+,Solar Yellow,Touring Pack, Torque300 tune,RLS Intercooler,Pro Alloy IC tubes,Lotus Stage3 Exhaust,Intake BOE ITG cold airbox,RLS MKII 3.0 Pulley,SaikouMichi Oil catch can,NGK BKR7-EIX Plugs,EV14 525cc injectors,CarbonFiber side scoops+front lip+rear spoiler, Nitron SS Shocks, PC680 Battery,JVC KDNX5000,CompactSub Kenwood KSC-SW1,Tinted windows, Lotus Sport windshield+front plate decals,HID Kit 6000K,Parking Light,license Leds.
2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
2016 Subaru WRX STI Blue

Last edited by NoFear99; 10-01-2010 at 06:57 AM.
post #18 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 AM

As a businessman, I understand Lotus' strategy of evolution (in this case revolution) to survive, and I wish them well in their quest for recognition, success and profits. Lotus does face substantial headwinds given various well established players and highly competitive offerings in the high performance sports car and gran touring segments, changing consumer spending habits, a global economic environment that will remain choppy for years to come, and a company history of frequent near-death experiences.

As a consumer, I am not pleased with their product direction one bit, and it is likely that my '06 Exige will be my first and last Lotus unless a new Lotus model hits my personal "sweet spot" by providing design, performance, and value in one package. There are plenty of compelling offerings that deliver crazy levels of performance (like Rossion, Toniq, Atom, etc.) that will make my adrenaline flow as freely and car guy heart warm as my Exige has. I see a Rossion in my future.

2006 Exige - Phantom Black
post #19 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 AM

some of the new concepts are pretty cool

07 Arctic Silver Exige S
00 Raven Black Audi TT
post #20 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:16 AM

The new designs concepts are just astonishing. One very important aspect we have seem to have overlooked is the future of government mandated emissions and gas mileage. Look for more efficient smaller engines, less horsepower, cleaner emissions, and more miles per gallon. Read the last two issues of Lotus Engineering News and you will understand whats changing the automotive industry. Lotus is on the leading edge of this change.

2007 Elise Type 72D #7 of 50
1973 (late) DeTomaso Pantera L
2006 Ford Crown Vic P-71 - DD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Future Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in