Who is Happy with the Direction Lotus is leading us Towards? - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
I'm a little late to this thread, but this Lotus has a sad face instead of a happy face.
The new Elise looks every bit as extreme in design as the original Elise design.. Just different. It's still very exotic, IMO. As for the sad face, I see what you mean.. But I also see a huge mouth that swallows everything in its path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
I'm a little late to this thread, but this Lotus has a sad face instead of a happy face.
Looks more like a grimace to me than a frown; the expression I imagine on a boy's face just before he punches his little brother in the mouth.
post #123 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 PM

I have always heard nothing but problems with Ferrari. My understanding is that they are fairly unreliable by exotic standards. New Lambos are doing better. Porsche is one of the most reliable high end cars. You mentioned the sexy 458. Would that be the one that explodes? If an exploding car is getting their act together, then ...well...I don't know what to say to that.

Ferraris are like BMws...great WHEN they work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
Agree on all points, Mike. Except #1 when talking "quality" vs Ferrari. Sure, Porsche puts a better car together than Lotus or Ferrari. Take a look at problems reported by F355 owners, 360 owners, etc, etc. Ferrari isnt anywhere near Porsche when it comes to quality(never have been). They are just starting to get thir act together and the F430 and 458 are probably fine but anything up until then was dicey...just like Lotus cars!

Just saying.

post #124 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:07 PM

Switched at birth??

Is is just me or is the Lamborghini Sexto Elemento the new Exige that should have come from the billion or so bucks that Proton is throwing at Lotus?

2200 pounds! and a zillion HP. Now that's a flagship.

Oh, well. I'll stick with my 2006 Elise after seeing the new (heavy) stuff. But you would think that they give us one car less than 1000 kilos. Or not....

Attached Images

2006 Elise, Graphite Grey/Red leather, Sport Elise Suspension, Cup airbox, ECU ref lash, MonoBalls, etc. etc.
1992 900SS Ducati Race Spec Built by Ferracci
2006 KTM 950 SuperMoto, a work in progress

Old stuff gone: Ferrari 275GTB/4, '69 1275 Cooper S. '72 500 Fiat, old Jags, etc. Never bought a boring car.
post #125 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 PM

That car is as light as a Miata with 3 fat cats in the trunk. 4LBs/HP and it's got Matrix and Nano tech. talk about cutting edge! The design goes too far though. New Lotus cars have aggressively modern designs but they still look very classy. All they need is a diet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post

post #126 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM

Nice car. Looks like a lucky 7- 10 new owner to be... for the nice cool price of $3.4M. A little up market from the Exige-

"As reported by the website of Auto Moto, Lamborghini has given the green light to production of a very limited set of her new Sesto Element.

The number of units to be constructed would be between 7 and 10 copies at a price to be around 2.5 million euros (3.44 million dollars / 2.15 million pounds)."

Lamborghini da luz verde a una edición muy limitada de su Sesto Elemento | Motor Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdc View Post
Is is just me or is the Lamborghini Sexto Elemento the new Exige that should have come from the billion or so bucks that Proton is throwing at Lotus?

Oh, well. I'll stick with my 2006 Elise after seeing the new (heavy) stuff. But you would think that they give us one car less than 1000 kilos. Or not....

post #127 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Sorry but the new Elise looks GREAT
post #128 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Lotus Explains Its New-Found Love Of Fatties

Sorry if it has been posted before.

My Prelude rebuild.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=256458

2008 Lotus Elise | Storm TI | Touring Pack | A/C Insulation Mod | Aluminum Carpet Buttons | JBL GTO Series Speakers | Alpine iDA_X100 | GRP Trunk Strut | darthHOLDER | re-ENFORCER | BOE TOC Oil Pan | Pro Alloy Rad | BOE Toe Links
post #129 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

At least for me the bratish, needy, and childish way jalopnik had reported and responded to this story makes me not care to read their pieces again. They are reading in and extrapolating a lot from a very limited encounter. After reading the letter they got from lotus and reading their whining rebuttal point by point, I can say that their opinions strike me as neither objective or really valid at all. Certainly not anything I would personally value. I'll stick to other higher quality professional sources for information and opinions.

2009 Saffron Yellow Elise Purist Edition - Unpurified (oem cupholder, leather tunnel cover, and black door panels), Difflow 5 element railer JR, Janspeed Stage II Exhaust, ongoing sound proofing project, kahtec blinking 3rd brake light.
post #130 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 06:28 PM

Not sure if everyone knows that Jalopnik is a subsidiary of Gawker, as are Fleshbot, Deadspin, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, io9, Kotaku, etc., so I think that the intent is not so much reporting of news, as causing a sensation.
post #131 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 06:47 PM

+1. Pretty childish if you ask me. I didn't see anything really arogant or rude. I understand things didn't go their way, but they still got a good interview.

"Sadly, we accepted an interview with Lotus CEO Dany Bahar" was pretty childish thing to say. The only prickish attitude I see is that of Ray Wert. I hate out some of these bloggers seem to think of themselves as legitimate journalists and expect to be treated as such. They should be lucky they were even given *any* access, much less getting chair time with the CEO.

This article clearly is an example of the why they are not.

Last edited by squidward; 11-23-2010 at 07:17 PM.
post #132 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM

This Ray Wert guy has the aplomb of an eight grader writing for some kiddie newspaper.
post #133 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Not sure if everyone knows that Jalopnik is a subsidiary of Gawker, as are Fleshbot, Deadspin, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, io9, Kotaku, etc., so I think that the intent is not so much reporting of news, as causing a sensation.
That's funny, when I read the letter and replies from jalopnik I totally thought the style and attitude was just like gizmodo. I quit reading gizmodo after the iPhone 4 incident. Actually there are a lot of pseudo news sites that I was once interested in, but quickly lost interest due to their sensationalism and misinformation.

2009 Saffron Yellow Elise Purist Edition - Unpurified (oem cupholder, leather tunnel cover, and black door panels), Difflow 5 element railer JR, Janspeed Stage II Exhaust, ongoing sound proofing project, kahtec blinking 3rd brake light.
post #134 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psoup View Post
That's funny, when I read the letter and replies from jalopnik I totally thought the style and attitude was just like gizmodo. I quit reading gizmodo after the iPhone 4 incident. Actually there are a lot of pseudo news sites that I was once interested in, but quickly lost interest due to their sensationalism and misinformation.

Yeah that iPhone 4 incident was a real fiasco.. I still read Gizmodo and take it for what it is.. Apple should have pressed charges against Gawker and that loser Jason Chen. But of course that wouldn't be good for PR, so they let it go.
post #135 of 149 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 07:59 PM

I still enjoy reading gizmodo and I more or less enjoyed the Jalopnik article, but I think that is because I'm pretty disappointed in the Paris show.

My Prelude rebuild.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=256458

2008 Lotus Elise | Storm TI | Touring Pack | A/C Insulation Mod | Aluminum Carpet Buttons | JBL GTO Series Speakers | Alpine iDA_X100 | GRP Trunk Strut | darthHOLDER | re-ENFORCER | BOE TOC Oil Pan | Pro Alloy Rad | BOE Toe Links
post #136 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Agree, harsh cars don't sell, that's why Lotus have the Evora and they are moving to a "comfy" mass market. Exactly why I think they should go more extreme on the Elise/Exige as they now have other models that fit the "less harsh" folks.

What has me up in the air already is the suitability of the Lotus methods to a comfy car market. When I bought my Elise I knew exactly what I was getting into in terms of comfort and performance, it is a no compromises car that does exactly what it should. The only surprise is the realization that after 4 years and about 50k miles the body was in pretty rough shape; rocker panels machine gunned horribly, 2 stress cracks in the rear clam, and multiple divots in the paint. It is literally in the body shop now getting a refresh. The body just isn't durable enough to be used as a daily driver (1 hour commute). But I accept that because the car is so damn good at what it does and since I am no longer using it as a daily driver the durability of the body is not as critical.

That sort of thing makes it hard for me to really commit to the idea of buying an Evora. A car that is likely just as delicate and therefore will end up looking ratty if daily driven means not driving it in that way. The motivation I have for buying the Evora is to have a car that performs similar to the Elise yet is suitable for use as a primary car (wife hates riding to work in track cars). So here is a car that doesn't have the raw edge of the Elise (and therefore not justifiable to me as a street legal track car) because it compromised to be more of a daily driver, yet it is not suitable for that role. The new models seem to be increasing stages of that dilemma.

In my perfect world, the Evora would have come with the Subaru STi engine with its fantastic reliability and capability of 500+ Hp daily driver usage. The bodywork would have been slightly heavier (corvette approach) and suitable for daily use and the thing priced about 10k lower.

Like classic video games and pinball, check out the Retrogaming Roundup Show, available on iTunes and our own website.
post #137 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post
What has me up in the air already is the suitability of the Lotus methods to a comfy car market. When I bought my Elise I knew exactly what I was getting into in terms of comfort and performance, it is a no compromises car that does exactly what it should. The only surprise is the realization that after 4 years and about 50k miles the body was in pretty rough shape; rocker panels machine gunned horribly, 2 stress cracks in the rear clam, and multiple divots in the paint. It is literally in the body shop now getting a refresh. The body just isn't durable enough to be used as a daily driver (1 hour commute). But I accept that because the car is so damn good at what it does and since I am no longer using it as a daily driver the durability of the body is not as critical.

That sort of thing makes it hard for me to really commit to the idea of buying an Evora. A car that is likely just as delicate and therefore will end up looking ratty if daily driven means not driving it in that way. The motivation I have for buying the Evora is to have a car that performs similar to the Elise yet is suitable for use as a primary car (wife hates riding to work in track cars). So here is a car that doesn't have the raw edge of the Elise (and therefore not justifiable to me as a street legal track car) because it compromised to be more of a daily driver, yet it is not suitable for that role. The new models seem to be increasing stages of that dilemma.

In my perfect world, the Evora would have come with the Subaru STi engine with its fantastic reliability and capability of 500+ Hp daily driver usage. The bodywork would have been slightly heavier (corvette approach) and suitable for daily use and the thing priced about 10k lower.
I'm curious to know if you had StarShield on your Elise.

I'm using mine as a daily driver with a round trip commute of 1.5 hours. I've got StarShield on mine and the body looks fine after about 15,000 miles.
post #138 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:04 AM

No I did not. Mine looked pretty good until about 30k or so and then one day I noticed what looked like a light colored mud spatter on the rockers right next to the rear wheel well and was surprised to find it was all rock chips. I got some of the 3M shields to install after it is painted.

Like classic video games and pinball, check out the Retrogaming Roundup Show, available on iTunes and our own website.
post #139 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
The new Elise looks every bit as extreme in design as the original Elise design.. Just different. It's still very exotic, IMO. As for the sad face, I see what you mean.. But I also see a huge mouth that swallows everything in its path.
I totally agree.

Again - 5 years is a long time and who knows what will happen with the design, but right now I'm leaning getting the Elise.

I think the Elan is great, but for an extra 35 to 40k, I want something that looks a little more wild/ radical.

Either way, it's exciting to look forward to seeing all of these in showrooms...hopefully.

Woo - that Lambo is plain Evil!

240S Chrome Orange EXIGE - Sold
post #140 of 149 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post
...A car that is likely just as delicate and therefore will end up looking ratty if daily driven means not driving it in that way...
Your speculation as to the durability of the Evora is just speculation. Lotus is fully capable of building a car that can handle higher mileage. My M100 has 97K miles with no body issues. Sure the paint is eroded in places and there is some parking lot rash. 97K in anything takes its toll. The big question is did Lotus build the Evora to sustain that level of use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Future Lotus Models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in