Car running rough during acceleration - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Which bolts are you referring to? Is there a parts diagram I can look at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:12 AM

The ones in the last picture you posted.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #103 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

I see, thanks for the diagram.

Yes on my car the bolts do look bad. But for thick bolts I don't think it is really a problem. For example when I replaced my wheel bearings recently I reused the 3 bolts that hold the hub/bearing assembly to the hub carrier. They looked terrible when all you could see was the bolt head but when I removed them they actually looked pretty solid (see photo).
Attached Images

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012

post #104 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 03:23 PM

Garage
Man,

You remind me of myself, I enjoy chasing down issues. Also, like yourself, I have done many things that were unnecessary or not helpful to the presenting issues. I hold the view that getting familiar with your car and seeing where very specific contact points and poorly torqued bolts are does still incrementally make your car more solid.

I can tell when a car has constant gardening. If I compare my 07 Exige S with others with more normal bell curves of maintenance, it is quickly evident that my tinkering efforts are not un rewarded. Even incremental gains in each system add up. I understand the other countervailing attitude of don't mess with it unless it's broken holds merit as well...

In the end, this is my hobby and as such I feel mild OCD is rewarded. Do you feel the same way about all the hours contemplating and actual wrench turning ?

L O T U S
post #105 of 112 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

I often read on LotusTalk that some procedure will take "X" hours.

Of course, when I try it, it inevitably takes "5 X" hours. But during that time my mind is focused on the task at hand and I forget about problems at work etc. So I find it very relaxing and enjoyable.

Of course there is always the beer after major accomplishments, such as getting the hub/wheel bearing assembly off (&@&#^!!).
Attached Images

2009 Saffron Elise
post #106 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

I had my original set of shocks/dampers and now three used sets. I thought I'd post some notes here for future reference.

A) Original Elise shocks
- 0 to 152,706 km.
- Replaced with set B by the dealer.
- The original set were discarded.

B) Used Elise sport shocks ("retired racer"). 15,000 km used.
- The dealer installed these at 152,706 km.
- I replaced them with set C at 205,568 km.
- They now have 67,862 km but seemed OK when removed.

C) Used Elise sport shocks ("Visual Echos"). 14,645 km used.
- I installed them at 205,568 km.
- Currently I'm at about 227,000 km and these are on the car.
- So they are at about 35,600 km and still seem OK.

D) Used Elise sport shocks ("jv03h"). 30,577 km used.
- Spare ones for the future.

I am guessing that the set I have on the car will last quite a while yet. When they are "done" I'll move onto set D. Most likely I'll never use set B again.

2009 Saffron Elise

Last edited by David Craig; 01-07-2019 at 05:21 AM. Reason: spelling
post #107 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:28 AM

I wish you would go through and do a suspension refresh (hardware, bushings, balljoints) every 100k kms or so. Every time you take a picture it stresses me out! its less then $1000 in parts and you could do one corner per weekend.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #108 of 112 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Several years ago I did not feel confident enough to change any of the suspension parts on my own.

But since then, I've changed the damper/shocks, rotors, front bearings myself so now I think I could tackle those other "refresh" items on my own.

Thanks for the advice kfennell. I suspect I will get to those items in a couple of years and do them on my own. I know the underside is not pretty but the car it is driving exceptionally well at the moment.
post #109 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

P0101 Error

I had a P0101 error this week. I looked up that one and it indicated a dirty or faulty MAF.

I had pulled out my original MAF and cleaned it at 132,000 km. After that I had installed a brand new MAF.

At that time I was trying to perform a tuneup. I had tried the cleaned up original versus the new one, and it did not seem to matter which MAF I used. I left in the new one.

Anyways, last night I pulled out the "new" MAF and installed the "old" MAF. That solved my issue. This was at 230,038 km.

The hardest part of the job really was dealing with the 8 mm bolt that holds the RAD overflow in place. When you put it back you are working "blind" and it is hard to insert it properly. I ended up trying to line up the hole in the plastic arm of the overflow with the unseen metal bracket by putting a tiny screwdriver in there under the bodywork.

A few photos. The second one is the part I installed last night. The third photo is the one I pulled out.

I'm going to clean the dirty MAF and throw it into my parts bin for the next time.
Attached Images

2009 Saffron Elise
post #110 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Also, with the P0101, the car did run a bit rough, which is expected I think. After replacing the MAF the car is running smoothly again.

Just prior to the P0101, I had driven 900 km to Ottawa and the car had run smoothly too.

2009 Saffron Elise
post #111 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Yesterday at 231,046 km I installed a new air filter. I asked my wife to help me. She replaced the filter while I tried to hold the engine side of the air filter box together.

We had a lot of trouble getting the box to close. This was because she had the square edge of the filter facing the engine compartment instead of the wheel well.

Actually now that the ordeal is over and now that I've done this three times, I think I have figured it out.

It is not important to hold the engine side of the box together while replacing the filter. You can let the box come completely apart when the new filter is put in. However to close the box you do need someone on the engine side to line up the connectors on the box and to hold them together. Also when closing the box it is only the side that faces forward that can easily move around. The side the faces the rear is attached to the hose that leads to the throttle body and does not move. Finally if the box is almost closed but not quite, there are some plastic fins or tabs on the front piece of the box that must overlap the back piece. It helps to have a tiny screwdriver pull those tabs in front.

Oh yes, the part number for the filter has changed. The Toyota dealer gave me part# 17801-YZZ03. That replaces the previous part number.
Attached Images

2009 Saffron Elise
post #112 of 112 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:15 AM

Good info on the part number change.

231K KM?! Dang! Thatís awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine/Control System Malfunctions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in