Check engine light after oil line recall - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Check engine light after oil line recall

I took my Elise into BMC SF for the recall. They have been awesome to say the least. Billy and Deon are very courteous and helpful.

However, when I went to pick the car up yesterday I noticed a CEL. They stated that the CEL was already there when I dropped the car off. I assured them that I am 110% it was not there beforehand. They looked over the paperwork and verified with me that the CEL couldn't have been on because the technician would have made a note about it in the work order.

They told me that they'd do some digging in the morning with the technician since it was EOD and everyone had already left. BMC called this morning and said that the technician completed the work necessary for the recall and went ahead and scanned the system as procedure. The technician claims that there was an existing code that did not trigger the CEL beforehand, but went ahead and cleared it anyway. And that somehow even after it being cleared, is back.

Now, I am in no way questioning BMC because they've been fantastic and very cooperative thus far. I know Lotus diagnostic systems can be pretty finicky so my question is whether or not this happens often. I just find it peculiar that a code can exist in the system, not warn the driver with a CEL, be cleared preemptively, then come back.

BMC is now suggesting I pay the $190 diagnostic fee and whatever costs associated with removing the CEL. Just seems out of blue considering it ran fine for almost exactly one year/3k miles with no CELs or hiccups. Not to mention that they should already know the code if the technician supposedly determined and cleared it prior.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Get the code read and post it we will figure it out for yo for quite a bit less than$190

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

05 elise ardent red sport touring VF1 s/c, pro rad, arquay twin, etc etc etc
05 elise GG sport touring BWR s/c Charliex s/p dent in chassis=total loss
17 BMW 428i conv wifes car
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Such moderate

Garage
This is a tough situation from a service advisor side of things. Trying to explain to customers that sometimes coincidences happen when cars are at the dealer/shop is very difficult for some people to understand. Not saying that is your situation, but I have been on both sides of it.

What I would do is ask them to pull the code to see if is in any way related to any parts that have to be messed with during the recall. If not, then you can go from there and possibly do the diag. But also like tommy said, you could always just get autozone to pull the code and go from there.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 PM

I just had my oil line recall done and also got an engine light after the drive home. It was for a high idle. I cleared it and it has not come back since.

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Mulholland>SCC

Yes, you can have a pending code without the CEL on. In some circumstances the light does not come on til the problem is triggered two times in a row. Too bad you did not just pull the code. Total BS that they want to charge you $190 for clearing a code and not even telling you what it was. If it were an actual problem, the light will just come back on later. OBDll readers can be had for much cheaper than $190.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Mulholland>SCC

Also, did you agree to the $190 diagnostic charge to have it looked at for the code?

Toys-
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM

So are they asking for $190.00 to clear it? Or are they asking for the money saying that they already have? If they are asking for money for work already done, then they are obligated to give you the code number. If they cant give you the number that was supposedly cleared then don't pay them for it. If you post the code number we can help tell if it was possibly caused when they did the work.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM

Elise Check Engine Light

Brian,

First of all, thank you for your kind words.
I'm sorry that you had a check engine light illuminated at the time of pick up & that I didn't get a chance to speak with you. I was dealing with a couple of other people at the same time.
When our technician ( Alan ) connected the Lotus scan tool to perform the second recall ( ECM update 2012/02 ) he noted a stored fault which was then erased by the updated flash. He then ran the engine for a little bit & rechecked for codes but there weren't any found / stored.
Part of why this was not mentioned is because we see many vehicles come in here for the recall which we don't necessarily service on a regular basis with varying faults etc... More often than not, the owner is aware of them & elects not to pursue a diagnosis and / or repair. But that's our / my fault & not yours. I should have made you aware of the fault when it was discovered & not assumed that it was something you knew about. If you would like to bring the car in to me for a few hours I would be glad to check the codes & diagnose the fault at no cost. At least at that point we will know what we're dealing with.
I have also sent this to your email.

Thanks, Billy.

Billy Edmonds
Lotus San Francisco Service
999 Van Ness Ave
SF CA 94109
(415) 351-5166
[email protected]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Mulholland>SCC

Toys-
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! You've all been very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus San Francisco View Post
Brian,

I'm sorry that you had a check engine light illuminated at the time of pick up & that I didn't get a chance to speak with you. I was dealing with a couple of other people at the same time.
When our technician ( Alan ) connected the Lotus scan tool to perform the second recall ( ECM update 2012/02 ) he noted a stored fault which was then erased by the updated flash. He then ran the engine for a little bit & rechecked for codes but there weren't any found / stored.
Part of why this was not mentioned is because we see many vehicles come in here for the recall which we don't necessarily service on a regular basis with varying faults etc... More often than not, the owner is aware of them & elects not to pursue a diagnosis and / or repair. But that's our / my fault & not yours. I should have made you aware of the fault when it was discovered & not assumed that it was something you knew about. If you would like to bring the car in to me for a few hours I would be glad to check the codes & diagnose the fault at no cost. At least at that point we will know what we're dealing with.

Thanks, Billy.
Like previously mentioned, BMC is beyond awesome and I'm still very happy with choosing them for this service. I hope everyone realizes that I was merely asking for suggestions and don't have a single bone to pick with BMC.

Thanks for the update, Billy! I fully understand your lack of bandwidth and noticed that you were busy on both days I was there. This makes a lot more sense now because I wasn't even aware of the second recall for the ECM update.

I was going to drop by an Autozone or O'Reillys to have it scanned, but I'd like to take you up on helping me diagnose the CEL if the offer still stands. Thanks BMC!!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Now that seems quite fair and is excellent service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus San Francisco View Post
Brian,

Thanks, Billy.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Just as an update, I brought my Elise back to BMC last week and Billy went beyond the call of duty. He offered to rescan the car and dig into to whatever the problem was. He also set me up with a loaner car which made the world of difference for me and my schedule. We chatted a bit and I even got to check out his wicked personal ride.

They cleared the code no problem and I got to drive the new Evoque around for a day (which worked out perfect because my girlfriend and I were actually thinking of getting one). They even washed my car a second time in two weeks after just merely clearing a code. All at no cost whatsoever to me.

Needless to say, if I EVER need ANY type of service big or small; or when we're ready for that Evoque, I'm racing back to Billy/Deon at BMC in a heartbeat!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:05 AM

Thanks very much for the kind words !!
It was nice finally being able to speak with you at length as I kept missing you when you initially dropped off & picked up. Typical August with Pebble Beach etc.....

I'm glad we could get everything resolved quickly & get you back enjoying the car, which is the most important part..!

Billy.

Billy Edmonds
Lotus San Francisco Service
999 Van Ness Ave
SF CA 94109
(415) 351-5166
bedmon[email protected]
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM

I never got a recall letter, but have a 60th Anniversary Elise SC (2008). Anyone know if my car is affected, I know I can call Lotus.

Also, I was going to change my trans and engine oil today, but if the recall involves draining the oil, or even adding oil, I should wait, since I have Mobil-1 0W European Car Formula waiting to go in. Anyone know if they do anything with engine oil?

And If my local Dealer no longer handles Lotus, and the closest is now 3 hrs away, can I have it done by a non-dealer (former dealer), and get reimbursed? The former dealer already told me they cant perform warranty work, but surely Lotus won't require that I drive to a dealer for recall work. What if it's very urgent and dangerous work, and the dealer is 8 hrs away, do they make you drive a dangerous car to get it fixed?

2008 60th Anniversary Edition Elise SC - Phantom Black||Arctic Silver
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msink View Post
I never got a recall letter, but have a 60th Anniversary Elise SC (2008). Anyone know if my car is affected, I know I can call Lotus.

Also, I was going to change my trans and engine oil today, but if the recall involves draining the oil, or even adding oil, I should wait, since I have Mobil-1 0W European Car Formula waiting to go in. Anyone know if they do anything with engine oil?

And If my local Dealer no longer handles Lotus, and the closest is now 3 hrs away, can I have it done by a non-dealer (former dealer), and get reimbursed? The former dealer already told me they cant perform warranty work, but surely Lotus won't require that I drive to a dealer for recall work. What if it's very urgent and dangerous work, and the dealer is 8 hrs away, do they make you drive a dangerous car to get it fixed?
I had the recall done and the dealer did not have to drain the oil.

I would imagine that warranty work must be done at the dealer no matter how far away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in