Help! Major recall problem - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Help! Major recall problem

So I been trying to find a resolution to this for months with no success...
My Elise has 3 recalls on it that are not performed. Oil line recall, something about drilling holes in the HVAC unit, and some other unspecified recall. I daily drive my Lotus about 70 miles a day right now, and after fruitlessly trying to find a solution I've hit a wall. I contacted Gary Craske who is a Field Service Engineer at Lotus in Hethel, and he referred me to Ron Mann who "deals with US Lotus issues". Two emails to Ron and no reply. Here's the issue:

I live in Arizona, and there is no Lotus dealer here anymore.

I tried contacting other dealers, such as Courtesy Lotus in Las Vegas, but they don't respond to any messages either (although they will gladly sell my glass guy a new windscreen).

I'm at a loss here of what to do to get these recalls fixed by Lotus. A complaint to NHTSA was like a fart in the wind. No response either. It's slightly frustrating because a local shop here has been waiting to get certified by Lotus to do repairs and recall for almost a year (Brighton Motors). I'm just worried my time is running out and something will give soon, leaving me with the bill and not Lotus. Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 08:17 AM
He's on fire!

afaik nhtsa initiated recalls do not expire. I will say it only seems reasonable that a lotus dealer should do the repair... find closest one and make a field trip?

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Closest one is Vegas, and they won't even respond for me to set up an appointment. I would assume they need to order parts for the recall.

Last edited by Coyne; 10-04-2014 at 09:53 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 11:54 AM

Send an email to Customer Services [[email protected]] and they will reply with instructions to what/were to do/go. I have done the same here from Norway, and i have to tahe it on a 1500km roundtrip to Sweden to get it sorted.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Lund View Post
Send an email to Customer Services [[email protected]] and they will reply with instructions to what/were to do/go. I have done the same here from Norway, and i have to tahe it on a 1500km roundtrip to Sweden to get it sorted.
That's where my first email was to. They said they didn't handle that and referred me to Ron Mann.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-04-2014, 06:48 PM

It sounds like you've been emailing folks - a lot of these people (Dealerships, LCUSA, etc) don't really "do" email. Get them on the phone.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 AM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith33 View Post
It sounds like you've been emailing folks - a lot of these people (Dealerships, LCUSA, etc) don't really "do" email. Get them on the phone.
Right.

There's no point bugging LCUSA...call a dealer, ask them to confirm open recalls on your VIN, and make an appointment to get the work done.

The HVAC holes was not a recall by the way. Service bulletin or something similar.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 12:28 PM

Ditto call a dealer, not that complicated. HVAC drilling if not done takes 5 minutes, oil cooler is a leave it type event so arrange a loaner or DIY.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG View Post
Right.

There's no point bugging LCUSA...call a dealer, ask them to confirm open recalls on your VIN, and make an appointment to get the work done.

The HVAC holes was not a recall by the way. Service bulletin or something similar.
+1 Don't email. Call a dealer.

Lotus events in California - www.gglotus.org
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Ron is a good guy but I agree with rest. Call a dealer make a road trip! You need to get the oil lines done!

05 elise ardent red sport touring VF1 s/c, pro rad, arquay twin, etc etc etc
05 elise GG sport touring BWR s/c Charliex s/p dent in chassis=total loss
17 BMW 428i conv wifes car
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-06-2014, 04:32 PM

I'm in the same boat. Had a helluva time getting a dealer to get back with me - return a call, email etc. I pulled the front panel to confirm the recall was not done.

The closest Lotus dealer is 2.5 hours from me. Considering 5 hours of driving, a hotel room and two to three days out of town, I decided to do the recall myself and upgrade the horn and add ss brake lines and whatever else I can or should do while the clam is off.

BOE has a DIY on the recall and a source for parts. I am ordering this week.

Steve
'05 Elise - Storm Ti / Black - M45 SC
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 10:44 AM

My oil lines failed over the weekend on my 2005. I called Las Vegas Lotus today to have the recall performed. I am waiting for a call back. This thread has me concerned. I will keep you guys posted on when and what I hear back. Please do the same.

Shawn
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Phone calls, emails, no responses. I would need to coordinate something since it will have to be a trip OG some kind and get the parts in. I can't leave it for weeks and don't desire to ship it. Wouldn't be so hard if they would call back. Maybe they aren't doing service anymore?
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Not as close for you but i arranged my recall completely by email and text at Galpin in Van Nuys, CA. Went flawlessly, no complaints whatsoever and they stuck to their time table even though both coolers got replaced.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:11 PM

I have yet to do the oil line recall, as my oil lines appear to be fine. Mistake in not getting it done?

There are certainly '05 cars that will never need the recall, so I'm balancing that vs. the chance that dealer does it wrong.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:34 PM

Vantage, please get your oil lines done or do it yourself! All of them looked normal until blowing. It only takes a couple of seconds for catastrophic damage. I did mine and my buddies before recall to sleep better. This is a definate must! Just because they look good meens squat!

03 GMC Yukon
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
Vantage, please get your oil lines done or do it yourself! All of them looked normal until blowing. It only takes a couple of seconds for catastrophic damage. I did mine and my buddies before recall to sleep better. This is a definate must! Just because they look good meens squat!
Fair enough! Thanks.

EDIT: Scheduled to drop the car off next week.

'05 Lotus Elise: RS134 Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4

Last edited by Vantage; 10-08-2014 at 09:12 AM.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:07 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc View Post
I did mine before recall too.

I wonder if pulling on the hose would show if one was about to come out...because it would, uh, come out.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:17 PM

There will be a new Lotus certified maintenance/recall garage opening their doors in Phoenix (North Scottsdale). Depending on your location they should be able to help.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 03:20 PM

Mine showed no evidence of breaking but search old posts none of the failures sid either. It may be something whith the oil thermostat that when it opens the initial pressure difference is too high

03 GMC Yukon
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in