How long will oil line recall go on for? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
3Xtothe0[]

How long will oil line recall go on for?

Since I live several hundred miles from nearest Lotus dealer (I'm sure many others do too)
and most likely won't have it done for awhile, are they going to put a time limit on oil line recall? If anyone knows?

2006 GG Elise Touring/HT/Starshield/Janspeed Stage II Sport exhaust/MM/Multivex/Nitto Invo replacements for rears [which are pretty damn good]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 11:08 AM

My understanding is that recalls don't expire, they are "life of vehicle". But in this case, "life of manufacturer" may be more relevant.

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
3Xtothe0[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
My understanding is that recalls don't expire, they are "life of vehicle". But in this case, "life of manufacturer" may be more relevant.
Thats what I was thinking, Lotus isn't exactly firing on all cylinders when it comes to the company.
Seems to be strange twist of events with management on a daily basis?
Well, I'll get it when i can but it won't be tomorrow. Winter storage is at least another month.

2006 GG Elise Touring/HT/Starshield/Janspeed Stage II Sport exhaust/MM/Multivex/Nitto Invo replacements for rears [which are pretty damn good]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Mulholland>SCC

As noted, recalls do not expire.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 AM

If you live in NY dealers are all around unless its the NE or NW corner

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XoXoX View Post
Well, I'll get it when i can but it won't be tomorrow. Winter storage is at least another month.
I've had my Evora in winter storage since early November.

When I got my oil pipe recall in late November, I contacted my dealer and told them the car was already put away and I wasn't driving it (I did drive it once for about a mile in December after I put on a Larini pipe). I told them I'd see them in the spring. It didn't faze them and they were fine with it. I didn't want to drive it again until I got it done so it's been parked since.

Last week, I decided it will come out of hibernation the beginning of April so I called them on Monday and made my appointment for April 1. They had no issue that it was 5 months later.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM

I called the dealer when I first got the notice and they said they would start working on recalls at the end of Feb and last week they said that they havent gotten training on how to do it yet and that the Lotus rep will be there next week to show them the correct procedure. Dont know how they are going to do be able to do this recall work in only 3 days since they only have one person that works on Lotus and they also service and sell other cars there too. Luckily I have another car that I can use in case it takes them a while.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
3Xtothe0[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
If you live in NY dealers are all around unless its the NE or NW corner
I live in the part of New York buried by snow most of the winter and when the sun does come out we're like a bunch of groundhogs admiring our shadows.
Needless to say that the only action my car sees is the little mice running around with that special 'food' in their mouths.

Dealers, what are those?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 10:41 PM

just buy the R.L.S oil line kit and do the job properly yourself or get a mate to help.

2007 Exige S Graphite grey.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 chrome orange View Post
I've had my Evora in winter storage since early November.

When I got my oil pipe recall in late November, I contacted my dealer and told them the car was already put away and I wasn't driving it (I did drive it once for about a mile in December after I put on a Larini pipe). I told them I'd see them in the spring. It didn't faze them and they were fine with it. I didn't want to drive it again until I got it done so it's been parked since.

Last week, I decided it will come out of hibernation the beginning of April so I called them on Monday and made my appointment for April 1. They had no issue that it was 5 months later.
There is an oil pipe recall for Evora cars?

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 AM

Lotus Recall 2012/2013R (NHTSA recall # 12V-477)

"Lotus has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2011 model year Evora S (Supercharged) vehicles. It has been determined that engine oil leaks have occurred from an oil pipe specifically used on the supercharged engine in a small number of USA specification vehicles manufactured between 17 December 2010 and 20 September 2011."

" A failure of this pipe may result in oil being deposited onto the engine as well as the exhaust system. This could cause a potential engine failure and an increased risk of fire because of the presence of flammable vapour. This could result in a crash, serious injury or fatality."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in