Lotus oil cooler line recall is being EXPANDED - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:14 PM

After talking with Brian S on the phone, he indicated that you can look this up on their website to see if your VIN was affected. Welcome | VSI Hopefully this helps others!

Last edited by CrimPhoenix; 08-14-2018 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Terrible wording!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:23 PM

Last week I got a phonecall concerning this recall two hours after I had picked my Elise up from service and Dutch MOT! LOL

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 12:39 PM

I got a call on this recall TWO HOURS after I had picked up my Elise after service and the Dutch MOT. LOL!

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:10 AM

... well one of my oil lines failed last night while I was cruising about 60 mph. I smelled oil, saw my oil light come on, then pulled over before I heard any horrible sounds from my engine... and tomorrow I'll be calling Lotus USA to see if the recall still applies for my car.

it's the line that runs along the right side up to the oil cooler - failure was at the sandwich plate.
Attached Images

WNC Tour Guide - WNC Drives (click me!)
'93 Vintage Red RX-7 - NA 20B
'06 Chili Red Exige - RIP 2017.12.01
'06 Ardent Red Exige Katana2 - try this again
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1_fd3s View Post
... well one of my oil lines failed last night while I was cruising about 60 mph. I smelled oil, saw my oil light come on, then pulled over before I heard any horrible sounds from my engine
Instructive photo. My car had the oil line recall done, but I will admit to being happier after having swapped in an OEM water-to-oil cooler over the winter - one less thing to go wrong. The car also lost about a pound of weight in oil when I blew the cooler lines out...
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:19 AM

called the "local", well the closest dealership (an hour away) and it's going to be covered under warranty - so planning to get the car to them tomorrow, they will check to see if which lines my car has - guy on phone told me they stock 2 of the 3 styles - so it could be a quick turn around.

stay tuned!

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 AM
glb

Quote:
... well one of my oil lines failed last night while I was cruising about 60 mph. I smelled oil, saw my oil light come on, then pulled over before I heard any horrible sounds from my engine... and tomorrow I'll be calling Lotus USA to see if the recall still applies for my car.

it's the line that runs along the right side up to the oil cooler - failure was at the sandwich plate.
Why hadn't you taken care of this prior? You can lose braking on one wheel, spin in your own oil and/or lose an engine.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I hope everything is OK. That is the first picture I've seen of the hose pulled free from the sandwich plate. Terrifying.

(Small clarification: I mean that this is the first photo I've seen, not that this is the first time it has been a sandwich plate failure).

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012

Last edited by David Craig; 04-29-2019 at 01:42 PM.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:29 PM

Does the recall affect the line at the sandwich plate? I thought it was only the connection at the cooler up front...

1966 BRG Elan SE (sold)
2008 Isotope Green Exige 240
2017 Metallic Blue Evora 400
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 01:40 PM

On my 2009 Elise, they changed the connectors at the sandwich plate during the oil line recall. Of course the connector at the oil cooler up front was changed too.

In my case, the oil cooler was changed in addition to all of that.
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:28 PM

so update on my car... taking a little longer than preferred but I'm also getting new oil coolers since the lines were seized to the old coolers (service manager saying due to the car originating from the north) so they were waiting for one cooler to show up from Detroit (over nighted...) to finish me up. it had not arrived yet at 3p Friday afternoon.

Last edited by lt1_fd3s; 05-05-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Why hadn't you taken care of this prior? You can lose braking on one wheel, spin in your own oil and/or lose an engine.
Yes. Tragic results for putting off that work.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:59 PM
glb

Quote:
so update on my car... taking a little longer than preferred but I'm also getting new oil coolers since the lines were ceased to the old coolers (service manager saying due to the car originating from the north) so they were waiting for one cooler to show up from Detroit (over nighted...) to finish me up. it had not arrived yet at 3p Friday afternoon.
If a street car, you don't want 2 coolers. Lots of documentation on this site.

I have no coolers and car heats up way more quickly.

Easy to research, but over cooling oil (i.e. 2 coolers) may cause premature cam wear.

And, I think you mean seized, not "ceased".

Si???

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:49 PM

How can I work out if my car has had the oil line recall done? Would Lotus have it on record?

Only one owner before me and by the looks of it he took it for regular survives.
There are letters for the recall but I cant find a reference in the recipes. I asked the last owner and he wasnt sure.

The drain holes recalls have been done.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:13 AM

There is a pic at the top of this page with the non recall fitting[that fell off]

Aluminum kind of fluted appearance

the replaced fittings have a stainless crimped band clamp on them
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:57 AM

Garage
If you know what the band crimps used on PEX water hose or on CV joint boots look like, you should see something very similar on a car that has had the oil cooler fitting recall done.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:36 AM

Great thanks. Yeah I know the type. I also found an image of the mod. Ill have a look tonight but from memory after doing the oil last week I dont feel it has been done.

Not to hijack this thread with opinions but if they havnt been done am I better to do the mod (and at the same time bypass one of the coolers). Or should I put a BOE cooler or water heat exchanger in the back?
Daily driver, not track days, 36k miles. No camlobe wear.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 09:07 AM

There data with regards to this here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f15...ooling-395394/

Putting a working thermostat in the system give proper oil temps.

195 degree oil on 52 degree day today

I would suggest it is also required to speed up oil temps with any air cooled oil cooler

If the recall has not been done, I would get it done, now
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:24 AM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-a-number View Post
Great thanks. Yeah I know the type. I also found an image of the mod. Ill have a look tonight but from memory after doing the oil last week I dont feel it has been done.

Not to hijack this thread with opinions but if they havnt been done am I better to do the mod (and at the same time bypass one of the coolers). Or should I put a BOE cooler or water heat exchanger in the back?
My 2 cents:

If you were planning to eliminate stock cooling anyway, go ahead
If you weren't, get the fix done, then decide if you want to do anything else. You could pop the top off the engine and have a quick look, at 36k, if you were going to have cam wear seems like it would be showing assuming you have no indicators that its been a problem prior (ie already replaced camshafts). If you like what you see in the other thread, make further adjustments to increase oil temps

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by not-a-number View Post
I did a fair bit of research before deciding just what to do about this.

If you street drive in North America and never do track days, you're probably fine just taking the oil coolers entirely out of circuit. Toyota didn't supply any oil cooler on US market 2ZZ-GE equipped cars, all of which are a lot bigger and heavier (thus more engine load) than a Lotus. You will need to buy one part, which is the threaded oil filter nipple that replaces the cooler adapter.

The biggest hassle to this job is getting all the oil out of the cooler loop before you cap the lines. I made quite a mess blowing compressed air through the cooler lines to empty things out.

My own personal observation (lying on a creeper under the running engine on ramps during a leak test) was that the oil warms up quite quickly if left to its own devices - tested with the high tech hand-on-filter measuring system.

The next step up the scale is to use an oil to water cooler, like both Toyota and Lotus did on their UK/EU and Australia offerings. It's compact, lightweight, made of stainless steel, and will heat the cold oil as well as cool the hot oil. Your 2ZZ Elige came with the required hoses for the factory cooler - just pop the aluminum U-tube out, pop the cooler on, and call it done. Standard list price for a new cooler is ~$500 if you can find one. The good news is that the cooler from a '90-93 Celica GT or '93-99 Camry (probably among others) can be adapted to fit, which was the route I went as I had a '92 Celica GT engine sitting around.

Next step past that is probably to go to one of the OE coolers and a better thermostatic sandwich plate. The problem I see with the sandwich plate design Lotus used is that it does not actually stop oil flow through the coolers when the engine is cold - just forces flow through the coolers when the oil is hot. There are better ways to do this. There were apparently also sometimes assembly quality problem with the sandwich plate Lotus used as well.

You can go to one of the nifty Laminova coolers, but they really aren't needed for normally aspirated street use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in