Maybe I should just replace the lines myself? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I should just replace the lines myself?

My car is due for the recall. The local dealer is about an hour away, which means about 4 hours commuting total to drop off and pick up, while dragging my wife along. Our local dealership Starr motors has a decent rep, but I am ADD about working on cars and have trust issues with others and fasteners. I also want to install an aluminum radiator, and am not crazy about having the clam come off 2x or paying the dealership extra to install.

Im not sure what words of wisdom I am looking for here. The lines will be about 500$ if I buy them myself, so it seems foolish to pass up a free fix. Somebody want to talk some sense into me?

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Absolute power does what?

I'll try - but I'm going to talk you into doing it yourself.

If you have the space and the tools it really isn't that hard. The toughest part is pulling the old lines through the car - mine were attached with a fair bit of tape/foam in the rockers that I could barely get it with the sills off. What I did was cut the old lines off at the sandwich plate, poked a hole through it and ran a coat hanger through that. Then taped the other end of the hanger to the end of the new lines and pulled the new lines in from back-to-front as I pulled the old lines out. It took a lot of pulling, in fact at one point we pulled so hard it lifted the front of the car off the jack stands. After my mini stroke we continued.

Getting the front clam off takes a while but the guides here are really good. Probably took me 90 minutes to get it off by myself (had to have a friend help me actually lift it off the car). Once it's off access to the radiator is pretty easy.

So my vote is definitely do it yourself. At the end of the day you'll feel better about it and, if you're like me, you'll enjoy doing the work yourself. So far my car has never seen any shop/dealer other than my garage. Hell I swapped my motor myself, if I can do that I'm sure you can do this!!

Go for it!!

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Is there any way to know if the recall has already been done on my car? I bought it used from a dealership and I'm not sure. No problems yet though.

Also, is there any way to get the dealership to just send the oil lines to me? Dealership is 3 hours away from me.

SOLD: 2005 Lotus Elise w/ Katana2

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySniper View Post
Is there any way to know if the recall has already been done on my car? I bought it used from a dealership and I'm not sure. No problems yet though.
Honestly I don't think so - I think the replacement fittings look the same as the factory ones.

Quote:
Also, is there any way to get the dealership to just send the oil lines to me? Dealership is 3 hours away from me.
I'd say that's highly doubtful but you could ask them.

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Hey Ross I think you are acting as an enabler for my disorder .

JS,
It is unlikely the recall has been done on your car unless you purchased it in the last 10 wks or so. Any dealer should be able to check using the VIN. I dont think there is anyway they would send you the fittings. As far as I know the factory fit requires a fancy crimping tool.

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Hey Ross I think you are acting as an enabler for my disorder .
Well I figure I have so many enablers in my group that I should do the same for others. All jokes aside I really do think you should tackle it yourself. Hell if you were in Colorado I'd say bring your car by my house and I'll give you a hand! (which you're welcome to do if you wanna make a drive out here!)

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
I'd say that's highly doubtful but you could ask them.
Hmm. I'll have to ask. I've been thinking about relocating the oil cooler to the back so that's an option too.

SOLD: 2005 Lotus Elise w/ Katana2
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:30 PM

I doubt they will give you the lines. Doing so would not legally relieve Lotus unless they perform the work themselves.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Hmm. I'll have to ask. I've been thinking about relocating the oil cooler to the back so that's an option too.
I strongly considered that when I replaced mine and honestly wish I'd done exactly that. At the time I didn't have enough information and I really needed (wanted) to get my car running again so I just went with the NCI kit. I believe moving it to the back will also save you 15lbs or so which is why I wish I'd done it.

Have a look at the Laminova setups as that's what I wish I'd done.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
My car is due for the recall. The local dealer is about an hour away, which means about 4 hours commuting total to drop off and pick up, while dragging my wife along. Our local dealership Starr motors has a decent rep, but I am ADD about working on cars and have trust issues with others and fasteners. I also want to install an aluminum radiator, and am not crazy about having the clam come off 2x or paying the dealership extra to install.

Im not sure what words of wisdom I am looking for here. The lines will be about 500$ if I buy them myself, so it seems foolish to pass up a free fix. Somebody want to talk some sense into me?
Buy the fittings from BAT fittings and do it yourself with the proper oettiker clamps. It will be BETTER than the recall as the barbs are much more pronounced and form a tighter fit on existing lines. Parts will be less than $100. Read up on front clam removal, oil fitting install posts, etc. In addition, you will minimize the risk that your clam being damaged or your Windshield getting cracked or other new surprises due to someone else working on your car. Simply because no one will treat your car better and be more careful more than you. You dont need to replace all of the hoses, there is no need, IIRC the recall does not replace the oil lines only the fittings and the one line in front connecting the two oil coolers. You can search the forum for the DIY oil cooler fittings before the recall was even available. Many got tired of waiting for recall action and increasing the chances of blowing lines, because one cannot go without driving the Elise for months at a time.
Do it yourself and be rewarded with the experience.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Older but getting faster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dief View Post
Buy the fittings from BAT fittings and do it yourself with the proper oettiker clamps. It will be BETTER than the recall as the barbs are much more pronounced and form a tighter fit on existing lines. Parts will be less than $100. Read up on front clam removal, oil fitting install posts, etc. In addition, you will minimize the risk that your clam being damaged or your Windshield getting cracked or other new surprises due to someone else working on your car. Simply because no one will treat your car better and be more careful more than you. You dont need to replace all of the hoses, there is no need, IIRC the recall does not replace the oil lines only the fittings and the one line in front connecting the two oil coolers. You can search the forum for the DIY oil cooler fittings before the recall was even available. Many got tired of waiting for recall action and increasing the chances of blowing lines, because one cannot go without driving the Elise for months at a time.
+1

Replacing fittings and radiator myself right now for similar reasons.

2006 Ardent Red Elise
Touring, Star Shield, hard top, remote V1 display and bracket, sun visor delete, micro mirror, shifter fix, Stage II exhaust, de-snorkeled, ITG air filter, Nautilus horn, black LSS wheels, ARP wheel studs, upgraded oil line fittings, ProAlloy radiator, s.s.brake lines, BOE Race Links, Innovative rear motor mount, plastic grills out, all aluminum mesh, Total Oil Control Wet Sump V1.1, s.s. caliper pistons, BWR sway bar, Penske NA coilovers.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:33 PM

If you don't track the car then I would say just disable them (remove the sandwich).
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Well Crap, you guys are just like me. Its like asking charlie sheen for rehab advise.

Even worse/better I was offered a good deal on the sector 111 kit from another kind forum mate, so it looks like I will go that route.

I had the clam off my elise before, so that doesnt scare me. I fixed the resistor pack on that which was a major pita. I think I should be able to tackle this. My bigest concern is siezed fittings to the coolers which I read about, and bleeding the coolant and oil lines efectively.

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Garage
Luckily for me the dealership is 25 mins away from me, so i will have the dealership fix the recalls for me

[FONT="Georgia"]05' Lotus Elise Storm Titanium

"I am going to finish what I have started"
"I don't want revenge, I want justice."
"You kill innocent people. Sometimes murder is justice."
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:37 PM

I say do it yourself.

I had my car into the Lotus dealer yesterday for the ECM reflash recall (and waited about one hour while it was done), and I declined and signed a waiver for the oil line recall work.

I plan to upgrade the original factory radiator and install aftermarket replacement lines (or maybe even go to a single oil cooler mounted in one of the side scoops) and do the work myself. Pulled the front clam last year to upgrade the A/C thermostat, and removing the clam was easy.

My car has 28,000 total miles and 15 track days on it, and the oil lines would have popped by now, so I didn't really see the point in having the oil fittings and center line (between the two coolers) replaced by the dealer, and I am not willing to pay dealer rates to have the radiator replaced.

2006 Exige - Phantom Black
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
If you don't track the car then I would say just disable them (remove the sandwich).
+1
Or add single rear cooler.
Pumping oil up and back is wack.

The oil system is weak to begin with.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Keep in mind the recall does not change the lines out (unless something changed while I've been away)... just the fittings. If you want new lines, either DIY or pay the shop to change them. The only problem I foresee is potentially buggering up an oil cooler or two trying to get the fittings off as has been done on more than one occasion... if the dealership does it, it is on them. If you do it, it's on you.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 PM

I just did this work myself this past weekend. Clam off was 30 minutes, clam on a little less.

It took some fighting with the fittings to get them into the lines, but that's a good thing. These suckers are going nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dief View Post

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM
CMP

you live in houston. your drive will be about 30-38 mins (mind you i drive from katy to the woodlands right at 48 minutes). your drive is only 1/3 of the way from one side of town to the other... not like you will drive to galveston or anything...

Oh snap! I'm on fire!
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 PM
CMP

ps - i heard the crew at the dealership talking. the way to fix it was to somehow snip the current lines a little shorter and crimp on different crimps (possibly a partial hose too, but i didn't inquire). or so they were saying in the background when i inquired at star motors... apparently that was the fyi fix from lotus.

Oh snap! I'm on fire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in