Maybe I should just replace the lines myself? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMP View Post
ps - i heard the crew at the dealership talking. the way to fix it was to somehow snip the current lines a little shorter and crimp on different crimps (possibly a partial hose too, but i didn't inquire). or so they were saying in the background when i inquired at star motors... apparently that was the fyi fix from lotus.
There is a good amount of slack in all three lines. The fittings are simply cut-off and replaced with different ones.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
delomike1049 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Illumiloti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,024
Does someone have photos of the oil line route on an Exige? Ross Carlson mentioned that they are "in the rockers" under the sills but I saw a 211 today with the entire body off and the lines were routed OUTSIDE the tub with at least 4 tight cable ties holding them to the tub. I want to remove both coolers and all lines completely.
A step by step would be awesome!

randy

Randy
Modified
Illumiloti is offline  
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Absolute power does what?
 
rosscarlson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 3,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illumiloti View Post
Does someone have photos of the oil line route on an Exige? Ross Carlson mentioned that they are "in the rockers" under the sills but I saw a 211 today with the entire body off and the lines were routed OUTSIDE the tub with at least 4 tight cable ties holding them to the tub. I want to remove both coolers and all lines completely.
A step by step would be awesome!

randy
Sorry, let me clarify - they are inside the sills, outside the tub. So if you're sitting in the car the wide sill section between you and the outside of the car, that's where they run (that's one reason these cars get hot inside). When I pulled mine through they were attached inside there with some foam insulation/tape to the fiberglass (or possibly the tub, I couldn't tell). I just know I put my hand in the small access hole (when you take the plastic sill off) and pulled out a lot of foam. I didn't expect that so my guess is there is a lot of variation depending on who built your particular car.

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
rosscarlson is offline  
 
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered User
 
Illumiloti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Sorry, let me clarify - they are inside the sills, outside the tub. So if you're sitting in the car the wide sill section between you and the outside of the car, that's where they run (that's one reason these cars get hot inside). When I pulled mine through they were attached inside there with some foam insulation/tape to the fiberglass (or possibly the tub, I couldn't tell). I just know I put my hand in the small access hole (when you take the plastic sill off) and pulled out a lot of foam. I didn't expect that so my guess is there is a lot of variation depending on who built your particular car.
So with the sills off, there is access space between the body and the tub? On the 211 chassis I saw today the hoses were wrapped intermitantly in foam and zip tied to points on the tub. Since I'm removing the hoses completely, is there room enough to get wire cutters in there and snip the ties to make it easier to pull the hoses through? Also, do I have to take off the clam to remove the coolers and connecting hose or can I get to them by removing the wheels and wheel well liners?

Randy
Modified
Illumiloti is offline  
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: AK
Posts: 1,301
No they will not.

The nearest dealer to me is about 3000 miles. I tried getting them to send the parts to me, wouldn't do it.

One of my friends runs an import auto repair shop (Subaru, BMW, Audi, etc) and he usually is able to do dealership work. He went through his people on doing the recall and again Lotus pretty much said fawk you. Either take vehicle to a Lotus dealership or tough ****.

If you do end up working out a deal to get the parts, please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySniper View Post

Also, is there any way to get the dealership to just send the oil lines to me? Dealership is 3 hours away from me.
nate379 is offline  
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodlands Tx
Posts: 2,360
Thanks to a friendly forum mate I got a good deal on a set of ultra lines. Unfortunately sector 111 seems unwilling to send me the instructions however. I think its a bit silly and may effect my buying decisions in the future.

How do you guys feel about the heat shrink clamps they use. I tried to find some longevity data online with no luck. I was thinking of using oeticker clamps instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is offline  
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 6,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
Thanks to a friendly forum mate I got a good deal on a set of ultra lines. Unfortunately sector 111 seems unwilling to send me the instructions however. I think its a bit silly and may effect my buying decisions in the future.

How do you guys feel about the heat shrink clamps they use. I tried to find some longevity data online with no luck. I was thinking of using oeticker clamps instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
You mean oetiker clamps. They seem to be the best when done correctly.

San
oldmansan is offline  
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: AK
Posts: 1,301
Oetiker clamps are fairly common on lower pressure hydraulic lines (like return lines or constant flow). I don't have a spec book handy but I'd imagine they are good to at least 300psi. Also common on CV boots.

There are special set of pliers to crimp them, but if you are careful you can use a pair of dikes or end cutters to achieve the same results
nate379 is offline  
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodlands Tx
Posts: 2,360
My anal retentiveness side is killing me on this project. I have the Sector 111 kit I got a good deal on, but I decided not to use it. I just dont know about the longevity of those gates clamps. Sector did some proof testing which is awsome for this type of product. However, the application of themoplastic clamps / crimp fittings / braided hose is completely new. I am sure it is fine but I am not feeling very "innovative" for this project. Once people report that they have used the kit for 10 year, I'll admit I was wrong. The above is my honest opinion of the product. No appologies but not supported by evidence either. Also, sector wouldent send me the instructions based on the fact that I bought the kit sccond hand. :unamused:

Then I thought I would go the pushlock BSP fittings on the existing hose route. I started reading about how critical it is to use appropriate push lock hose, which the stock hose may or may not be. There are actually several failures of push lock hoses used for oil lines document on the inter webs. None I could find with the oetiker clamps though.

So I am almost done with the above fix and I decided to order some actual pushlock hose to be safe. I think I am making all of this too hard but I dont want to have to worry about this for at least a decade.

Now on to my latest internal debate. Keep both oilcoolers or delete one? I am on the fence. I wish I would have logged oil temps before.

The pleasant suprise was that the exige clamshell is quite a bit easier to come off than the elise. The new style headlights and no hidden fasteners make it pretty straightforward.

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is offline  
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Registered User
 
Hextavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 686
^ aschen basically im stuck on what to do with the oil lines myself. I really was thinking of getting the s111 ultralite lines and keeping my 1 oil cooler in the front. But for non track duty and living where I will only see a few months of 90s, maybe I should reroute and use the side scoops? I wish there was a clear cut upgrade thats simply "the best." Like you I don't want to buy something that isn't 100% proven to be a safe long lasting upgrade.
Hextavo is offline  
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodlands Tx
Posts: 2,360
I wouldent buy the ultra line kit. This is just one mans opinion who had it. I used bsp fittings on the stock hoses with 2 otiker clamps. It seems to be holding just fine and I think it is better than the recall. They are using small barb fittings for the recall with clamps

I think the best sledgehammer type solution would be bsp to an adapters with non stainless socketed hose. This is around 700$ in parts because the fancy hose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is offline  
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 02:16 AM
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,239
I'm pretty sure the fiberglass side sills are bonded to the aluminum chassis... so unless you are prepared to some major surgery to your car, there is no way of attaching the replaced lines to the chassis. Since I had my front clam off, you first have to pull back the lines to get that foam tubing out. I ha cut off the OEM hose ends and sprayed on Armorall on the hoses...then pulled them out the front. That way, new hose ends can be put on those lines and reused. I then istalled the Laminova heat exchanger per here...
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...cusump-187794/
<@@> is offline  
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton/Cincinnati OH
Posts: 129
If you have the time, I would DIY. I took my time and with the great resources here, removed the front clam and installed the Ultraline kit as per S111 instructions.

The lines are "attached" in the side sill by plastic C- shaped hose clamps in accessable areas under the front sill cover and in the rear of the side sill opening underneath he car. I pulled the new line from the front to the back after attaching it to the old line with wire and tape after cutting off the oem clamps. When pulling resistance was met, I reached up the back sill opening to free up/rip/separate the insulation from the old line. Sometimes you have to pull harder than you think. When you are done, do the radiator swap

Shame on S111 for not sending you instructions, that is BS and will make me reconsider buying parts from them (and I've spent a considerable amount there, like many of us...)

______________________
Glenn
07 Exige S Ardent Red
05 Elise Ardent Red (Gone)

07 S4 Avant
13 M5
TiGumz is offline  
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered User
 
rwbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 903
what was their reason for not sharing instructions with you? Simply because you didn't buy them from S111? They seem friendly enough and always suggest calling them if you need help with anything... that and they've always been friendly with me when I ask questions or do business with them.

Ordered some OnecoolerLines from them and will be doing this work hopefully in the next couple weeks

2006 Aspen White Elise
http://projectelise.com - blogging the Elise
Ongoing Elise & Exige Price Trend Spreadsheet (OPEN SHEET IN EXCEL! Google Docs butchers it and shows errors...)
rwbronco is offline  
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Woodlands Tx
Posts: 2,360
No freaking idea other than trying to protect their intellectual property. My correspondence was cordial but I was politely turned down. Anyways im over it but I still start at other vendors now when possible.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is offline  
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:52 PM
Registered User
 
rwbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 903
For anyone else considering doing it themselves - just wanted to report back that myself and another fellow Elise owner did it on mine with relative "ease." It certainly was anything but easy. I had access to a two-post lift which made it much more simple. We put the wheels back on and set it down to pull the lines from the back once the new ones were attached to the ends of the old ones up front. Took about 30 minutes of swapping turns between two full grown men. I even had vice grip pliers clamped on the hose and twisted around to give some grip. We were using the rear frame of the car for foot-holds and it was way more difficult that we expected. We read all kinds of "be careful I almost pulled it off of the jack stands!" but not this... It's a case of when you think you're going to break something because you're pulling too hard... pull harder.

That said, we did it clam-on and it was really easy. The front oil cooler line was a hair tricky, but only took a few minutes. Once I had a wrench up in there and it "broke loose" I took it off by hand. New one went on by hand and took a couple minutes of contorted wrist to tighten it up with a wrench.

If anyone has any questions or plan on doing it just ask here or PM me.

Edit: Oh and when I asked the other Lotus guy if he felt confident enough that he would do it on his car next he said "hell no that was too much work, I'm replacing the fittings and calling it a day.." so there's that to be said. Personally I thought it was kind of fun...

2006 Aspen White Elise
http://projectelise.com - blogging the Elise
Ongoing Elise & Exige Price Trend Spreadsheet (OPEN SHEET IN EXCEL! Google Docs butchers it and shows errors...)
rwbronco is offline  
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Registered User
 
tommyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: South Fl
Posts: 1,296
I replaced mine and my friends with the rls lines. I did it clam off. Really was not so bad. The worst was listening to the wife coplain about the clam in the living room! HahaName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1399333841.885265.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  899.7 KB


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

05 elise ardent red sport touring VF1 s/c, pro rad, arquay twin, etc etc etc
05 elise GG sport touring BWR s/c Charliex s/p dent in chassis=total loss
17 BMW 428i conv wifes car
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
tommyc is offline  
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 893
I replaced the fittings with BSP + Oetiker clamps. Not particularly difficult, and seems VERY robust.

2016 Chevy Cruze, manual
1987 Lotus Esprit Turbo HCi
2005 Elise
1981 DeLorean, manual, EFI conversion
delomike1049 is offline  
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Registered User
 
111Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbronco View Post
For anyone else considering doing it themselves - just wanted to report back that myself and another fellow Elise owner did it on mine with relative "ease." It certainly was anything but easy. I had access to a two-post lift which made it much more simple. We put the wheels back on and set it down to pull the lines from the back once the new ones were attached to the ends of the old ones up front. Took about 30 minutes of swapping turns between two full grown men. I even had vice grip pliers clamped on the hose and twisted around to give some grip. We were using the rear frame of the car for foot-holds and it was way more difficult that we expected. We read all kinds of "be careful I almost pulled it off of the jack stands!" but not this... It's a case of when you think you're going to break something because you're pulling too hard... pull harder.

That said, we did it clam-on and it was really easy. The front oil cooler line was a hair tricky, but only took a few minutes. Once I had a wrench up in there and it "broke loose" I took it off by hand. New one went on by hand and took a couple minutes of contorted wrist to tighten it up with a wrench.

If anyone has any questions or plan on doing it just ask here or PM me.

Edit: Oh and when I asked the other Lotus guy if he felt confident enough that he would do it on his car next he said "hell no that was too much work, I'm replacing the fittings and calling it a day.." so there's that to be said. Personally I thought it was kind of fun...
I still think we should have found a way to attach the hoses to one of those F-whatever Super Duties across the service aisle and yanked them out!
111Geek is offline  
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Registered User
 
rwbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 903
haha I'm telling you... grab the turbo off of a diesel and we'll hook it up! Surely with a little coaxing we can get it to spool over and maybe around 9,000rpm it'll make boost

2006 Aspen White Elise
http://projectelise.com - blogging the Elise
Ongoing Elise & Exige Price Trend Spreadsheet (OPEN SHEET IN EXCEL! Google Docs butchers it and shows errors...)
rwbronco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome