NHTSA Investigates 4400 Lotus Elises for Oil Cooler Leaks - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:21 PM

Garage
I just put out a polar view for discussion. Indeed if a problem, especially one that can have customers complain about being dead, is known and not addressed, we have an issue.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM

17 out of 4400 is only what is reported, who knows how many have had their lines fixed without reporting and how many have changed their lines pre-emptively with aftermarket products. It's not about what's 'owed' to anyone, its about a manufacturer standing by its products and workmanship. As a small car company in todays market, Lotus cannot afford to have these known issues drag on for years and expect the buyer to absorb all the problems just because they are labeled 'exotic'.

2005 Lotus Elise
- ULTRAliteLINES
- DSbrace
- Larini Exhaust
post #23 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Has anyone been able to find the actual announcement on the NHTSA site? I saw the NY Times article and then searched the Safety site with no luck. Maybe the Times broke the news ahead of any NHTSA posting.

In any event, thanks to all who took the time to report their incidents.

post #24 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HocusLotus View Post
Has anyone been able to find the actual announcement on the NHTSA site? I saw the NY Times article and then searched the Safety site with no luck. Maybe the Times broke the news ahead of any NHTSA posting.

In any event, thanks to all who took the time to report their incidents.
Recalls Summary | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
post #25 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dude View Post
17 out of 4400 is only what is reported, who knows how many have had their lines fixed without reporting and how many have changed their lines pre-emptively with aftermarket products. It's not about what's 'owed' to anyone, its about a manufacturer standing by its products and workmanship. As a small car company in todays market, Lotus cannot afford to have these known issues drag on for years and expect the buyer to absorb all the problems just because they are labeled 'exotic'.
The poll suggests a lot more. One would hope the investigation will include all the warranty repairs Lotus did.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #26 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Probably Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRTHTAKR View Post
17 out of 4400 is a very low number.
I couldn't possibly share your opinion on this. I think that number is enormous. 17 out of 4400 is the number of NHTSA reports and it doesn't include all the non-warranty and warranty repairs that have been documented.

Even at 17 (that's roughly 1 in 300) it's high. But, the poll suggests it's more than 60 and that's only people who posted.

Imagine seeing more than 1% of cars on the side of the road every day that were crippled due to a major safety issue like this. Cars spun out into oncoming traffic would be statistically guaranteed.

-Shawn (2005 Elise) || New England Members of Lotus Ltd. (NEMOLL) - PM me to join local info list or NEMOLL || UberPost - Elise/Exige info: common problems/fixes, etc.
post #27 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:33 AM

Similar to sandwich plate gaskets that have been leaking since the Esprit days. Lotus needs to use 21st century engineering on its 21st century vehicles! This should be a wake up call to them to stop selling us overpriced , underengineered product. To their add lightness mantra, they need to add quality controls.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #28 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 AM

Mine is an 05, a mater of fact it is one of the early 05's with the twin oil coolers and I have zero issues with any leaks (knocking on wood). I just had mine in for service and I'm sure they would have said something if anything was leaking!!

Bruce

05 Bordeaux Pearl Red, Biscuit Lea. Int. (SOLD 2016!)
2014 Mini Cooper S Paceman All-4
'18 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL, 3" lift running 37" Nitto Trail Grappler tires
'10 SKI-DOO Renegade
Protection by: English Bull Dog

post #29 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 08:56 AM

As an owner who has had 2 dual cooler Elises I have had ZERO problems. I don't mean to rub anyone the wrong way here but I have to ask. For those of you who have had failures, what is you pre-drive routine? I know from the get go that I'm going to drive my Elise very differently than my Sorento. Since I drive my Elise 3 to 4 times a month I go through a pre-drive check list to ensure my car is safe to drive. This not only includes checking belts, fluids and pressures, but getting into the crevices with a flash light and looking for leaks, checking the torque or tightening bolts and keeping a log of what's going on. Hoses like this don't just fail.

Someone wrote earlier that they lost their radiator. I did as well and I had plenty of warning. I had my car in at the dealership at least twice before it actually let go because I could smell the antifreeze and I could see the splatter marks. I had plenty of warning.

I believe it is my responsibility to ensure that the vehicle I'm driving is as safe as it can be. I am the last line of defense to safe driving. And that's not just my behaviour behind the wheel, but under the hood as well.

-------------------------------------
Nothing quells chaos and disorder faster than the threat of total planetary annihilation. - Governor Tarkin acting commander of the first Death Star
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. - Barry Melrose
Measure your coffin, does it measure up to your lust? - Iron Maiden
post #30 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:07 AM

I had one crimp fail by the driver side oil cooler and dump a lot of oil instantly all over the windshield, brake, and tire while I was driving around 55mph with a wall right next to me and a car on every side at night. Not sure how I survived. It's not like the other cars can see the issue in the dark or know that I couldn't see. I fixed it with out reporting it or engine failure. I had been at the Vegas drag strip earlier that night and they have a high altitude if that matters.
post #31 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:12 AM

So how does this all work? NHTSA investigates and if proven faulty, a recall is initiated?

Any news on the radiator issues as well? My '05 Elise is on it's 3rd OEM radiator! Next time my OEM rad goes bad, I'll be purchasing the black triple pass aluminum radiator from Elise Shop...

--
'05 Lotus Elise Chrome Orange, Touring, QuickSilver Exhaust, Dual Oil Coolers, Aluminium Triple Pass RACE Radiator, Exige ProBax Seats
'01 GMC Yukon SLE, Onyx Black, 4.8L V8
'00 C5 Corvette Convertible, Red, 5.7L V8

Last edited by Mike4USC99; 07-25-2011 at 09:24 AM.
post #32 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 AM

subscribed. haven't had any issues with oil lines but do check them regularly. I agree that these major things on a car should not happen regardless of the cost. This is a major part of the car running, like the transmission, radiator or engine. Should last much longer then 10-20k miles.
post #33 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4USC99 View Post
So how does this all work? NHTSA investigates and if proven faulty, a recall is initiated?
Then you take your Elise/Exige to your local Lotus dealership for repair.

In a nearby state.

Last edited by Aedo; 07-25-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
post #34 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangman View Post
Someone wrote earlier that they lost their radiator. I did as well and I had plenty of warning. I had my car in at the dealership at least twice before it actually let go because I could smell the antifreeze and I could see the splatter marks. I had plenty of warning.
See this thread Radiator failure. Your radiator failure was a whole lot different from mine and others. I'm glad you had warning. I did not.
post #35 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

Anyone know of the "lowest mileage" failure on the oil cooling loop? Most of the posts I have read indicated 30k-40k miles at failure? FWIW - my 2005, twin coolers - no problem @ 9k miles.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #36 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM

i had an oil cooler line problem at about 10k miles.
my dealer said that an oil cooler line came loose after its plastic fitting that held it in place broke.
this caused the oil cooler line to come in contact with the belt and quickly wore a hole through the line coating my entire engine bay with oil.

2006 k24 powered Lotus Elise-way too many mods to list (k24 swap 300whp NA!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uOFOm5xTZA
2003 Caterham Super Seven DeDion
2008 Maserati Quattroporte Executive GT
post #37 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:11 PM

For those defending Lotus on this one I have to disagree. The majority of people who buy any car are not experts on the car and should not have to be. I shouldn't have to put a ton of research into how many parts of the car are going to fail. And just having something that is built properly is a lot better than have warning that it is about to fail.
post #38 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:21 PM

OK, so here's a question. I have the Forced Fed turbo on my car. Some of the oil lines in the rear (to serve the turbo) have been replaced with aftermarket ones but the lines coming from the oil collers in the front are original, I believe. So if there is a recall am I sh*t out of luck in getting Lotus to replace the original ones since the system has been monkeyed with even though it's a safety hazard?

2005 Elise FF275 Sport
1986 Porsche 944 - commute beater (For Sale!)
post #39 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komiko View Post
Anyone know of the "lowest mileage" failure on the oil cooling loop? Most of the posts I have read indicated 30k-40k miles at failure? FWIW - my 2005, twin coolers - no problem @ 9k miles.
From the poll I think there were 3 or 4 that failed around 12K to 13K miles.
post #40 of 161 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Found this while reading through the news articles . . . Appears this crash was possibly related to this no?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in