NHTSA Investigates 4400 Lotus Elises for Oil Cooler Leaks - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:08 AM

Does anyone know about how long it would typically take from this point for Lotus to issue a recall (if they decide to).

05 graphite grey elige with zero mods.....sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM

There are many different levels of recalls and outcomes and requirements imposed on the manufacturer. Given the relatively low number of filed cases compared to cars sold, this situation might just warrant a voluntary recall and not a manditory one ... in other words, if you ask for it to be fixed they'll fix it, if not, they don't have to touch it and don't have to issue notices to all owners.

I'm not sure about who pays for what ... that will be dependant on ruling, but my hunch is Lotus will have to pay for part replacements, but owner's out of warranty would have to pay for labor. Just guessing, but that's how things like this are handle with other car companies.

As far as replacement lines and fittings ... I'd use 910 PTFE Kevlar lines and forged aluminum ends (or standard) and appropriate tools and procedure for securing the fittings. I like the PTFE stuff for oil because they use a very fine long thread. I test my lines to about 140-150 psi air and dunk them under water to check for leaks ... so far with my track abuse, not a single leak, not even a hint. In fact the hose and fittings are so solid and secure I don't even have a mount bracket for my MoCal (just not needed).

Rob

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
post #143 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Hello All,

I was just contacted today by NHSTA via email requesting my VIN to assist them in their investigation. I copied and pasted the email received below minus the names. It confirms they are looking into the concerns.

Good afternoon Mr.---------,

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is currently conducting a defect investigation on Lotus Elise 2005-2006 MY vehicles for alleged oil cooler line rupture. Your complaint is currently being reviewed by our investigative staff, however we require your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) in order to assist us in our investigation efforts. Please provide your VIN number at your earliest convenience.

If you would like to further discuss your complaint please feel free to contact me at the contact information in the signature below. Thanks for your interest in highway safety.

Sincerely,

---------------------
Safety Defects Engineer/ Federal Investigator
NHTSA- Office of Defects Investigation
U.S. Department of Transportation

I was just all looks, but now will be a collectors item too.

post #144 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Could you please direct him to this thread (and the other threads) and let him know that the failures are not limited to 05-06 Elises, but also '07s and Exiges

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #145 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM

If a recall is issued,
1) would they do the fix on cars that are out of warranty (the vast majority)?
2) could the work only be done at Lotus dealerships (inconvenient for many)?

2005 Chrome Orange Elise
post #146 of 161 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
If a recall is issued,
1) would they do the fix on cars that are out of warranty (the vast majority)?
2) could the work only be done at Lotus dealerships (inconvenient for many)?
1) Yes
2) Yes

2005 Saffron Yellow Elise (Sold)
post #147 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Puff Daddy

Any updates on this?
post #148 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 AM

While prepping my car for a track day this weekend I noticed oil weeping (no drips) from the crimp connections leading from the oil cooler lines into the oil filter plate. There is only enough oil to fill the gap between the crimp connector and the 90 degree fitting going into the oil filter plate, hardly enough to even wipe off.
I have not noticed any concerns with the fittings up front from what I can inspect with our removing parts.
Is this considered failure, a leading indicator of failure, or just someting to keep an eye on?
Thanks.

2005 Bordeaux Met #21 (HT, Touring, Quicksilver ext, TRM F1 wheels, Stan Stud, HID lights, BWR S/C,Filled motor mounts, catch can, no camber shims, Tillett saddles)
2004 Audi S4 Sedan (Tip, GAIC Chip, AWE Cat-back, Team Dyanmics Pro 1.2 wheels, H-sport sway bars)
2002 F-350 (Powerstroke, 4x4, Banks power pack, 6th alternator)
Couple nice bicycles, way too many snow skis.
post #149 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 AM

I know the oil is leak.... but don't make Lotus going out of business
post #150 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM

^^^ That is some rough English; where you from? Any oil leaks reported there?

post #151 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallingt View Post
While prepping my car for a track day this weekend I noticed oil weeping (no drips) from the crimp connections leading from the oil cooler lines into the oil filter plate. There is only enough oil to fill the gap between the crimp connector and the 90 degree fitting going into the oil filter plate, hardly enough to even wipe off.
I have not noticed any concerns with the fittings up front from what I can inspect with our removing parts.
Is this considered failure, a leading indicator of failure, or just someting to keep an eye on?
Thanks.
Jim,

That is not good, could fail soon, and at any time! It should be dry.

I would fix asap.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #152 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
give me my second cam!

That sounds like the two oil lines rubbing on the back plate that is fixed by zip tieing a split piece of 1/2 inch heater hose around the lines to protect them but its too late now. The sandwich/ oil filter plate needs to come off and the lines need to be replaced.

05 Saffron yellow,LSS ,hard top and nothing else! 91 Mazda Miata se British racing green with hard top
post #153 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallingt View Post
Thanks.
I checked mine front and back to look for signs of leaks. Mine were dry. I second the recomendation to change the lines. I'm not sure I understand why the sandwhich plate must be replaced.

05 Saffron Elise (#151)!!!!!
Nitron NTR singles 550/700
BOE Rev 400, fuel surge tank, EFI 1.2
PPE Testpipe, BOE Silent Touch
RacePak IQ3 dash with EFI module
ACT HD/SS clutch, Fidanza FW, LETSA...
post #154 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 AM

It is not the u tube leak, I already have the 1/2 hose there, no wear on the tube.
Looks like I have a winter project on the way, sounds like there are a few options to use regarding hoses and fittings.
Time for some research.... and what else should I do while I have the car apart.

Thanks for all the input.

2005 Bordeaux Met #21 (HT, Touring, Quicksilver ext, TRM F1 wheels, Stan Stud, HID lights, BWR S/C,Filled motor mounts, catch can, no camber shims, Tillett saddles)
2004 Audi S4 Sedan (Tip, GAIC Chip, AWE Cat-back, Team Dyanmics Pro 1.2 wheels, H-sport sway bars)
2002 F-350 (Powerstroke, 4x4, Banks power pack, 6th alternator)
Couple nice bicycles, way too many snow skis.
post #155 of 161 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM
tmr

Any reports on the progress of the investigation?

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
post #156 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 PM

Recall in the works, several other threads on this, but I thought I'd update this one for those subscribed.

Only cars produced Pre 10/2006

-JM

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
post #157 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 AM

Thanks for the update, where did you hear about the recall? Any idea what it will consist of?

Like classic video games and pinball, check out the Retrogaming Roundup Show, available on iTunes and our own website.
post #158 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarubrat View Post
Thanks for the update, where did you hear about the recall? Any idea what it will consist of?
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...recall-107511/

And here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...1V510-2615.pdf check out page 2, under basis for determination and proposed remedial program (I'd paste it, but it won't let me)
post #159 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:32 AM

After reading that I am a worried about the phrase "as necessary". Sounds like they could take a peak and if it isn't leaking tell you to go away. I would be more encouraged if the phrase "shall replace" was used. Anyone been contacted yet or gone through it?

Like classic video games and pinball, check out the Retrogaming Roundup Show, available on iTunes and our own website.
post #160 of 161 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 AM
tmr

Quote:
After reading that I am a worried about the phrase "as necessary". Sounds like they could take a peak and if it isn't leaking tell you to go away. I would be more encouraged if the phrase "shall replace" was used. Anyone been contacted yet or gone through it?
Back in June the local dealer found that one of my lines was leaking ever so slightly at the fitting in the engine compartment. This was found during a routine oil change/service visit. They recommended replacement, but I told them I wanted to look into aftermarket alternatives. I bought the RLS lines and will take the car in next Friday to have them installed. I'm also replacing the radiator at the same time since the front clam will be off with an all-aluminum unit from Wizard Cooling.

I hope to get money back from Lotus at some point for at least the labor, as their dealer pointed out the leak.

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in