Noob question. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Noob question.

I just recently bought my 05 Elise. I was wondering how to tell if the recalls have been done? Or shall I just call the nearest Lotus dealer to me? I apologize if this has already been asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty15 View Post
I just recently bought my 05 Elise. I was wondering how to tell if the recalls have been done? Or shall I just call the nearest Lotus dealer to me? I apologize if this has already been asked.

Just have your VIN number ready and call the dealer. It also wouldn't be a bad time to get your PIN number for the alarm in case you ever need to it (the manual explains how to do things like change settings, synch a new remote, and how to start without the fob if you have the PIN). I need to make that same call ASAP, too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Okay great! Thanks for the quick reply.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Oh man I heard about the recall, not good
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM

Just a note about the oil line recall: it used to be if you blew your oil line and suffered engine damage, Lotus would replace the engine free of charge. Now that the recall has been out for a while with repairs available they have stopped this practice. That is especially important when purchasing a used Elise. Make absolutely sure that the oil line recall service has been performed. There has been a couple cars bought this year that have had the oil lines blow within a short time after buying a used Elise. Lotus repaired the oil lines but balked on replacing the engine. The recall repairs have been available for a while and it is now buyer beware time! Make sure that the seller has the recall repairs done BEFORE you take ownership. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 08:34 AM
glb

Good, easy advice above.

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.)

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Sector 111 long thru bolt that terminates under car: re-ENFORCER - Shift reinforcement for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait at least 10 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311...-u-tube-47232/

9. Visit the Uber Thread

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/e...ow-here-25131/

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Just a note about the oil line recall: it used to be if you blew your oil line and suffered engine damage, Lotus would replace the engine free of charge. Now that the recall has been out for a while with repairs available they have stopped this practice. That is especially important when purchasing a used Elise. Make absolutely sure that the oil line recall service has been performed. There has been a couple cars bought this year that have had the oil lines blow within a short time after buying a used Elise. Lotus repaired the oil lines but balked on replacing the engine. The recall repairs have been available for a while and it is now buyer beware time! Make sure that the seller has the recall repairs done BEFORE you take ownership. Now back to our regularly scheduled program...
If you purchase an Elise that has not had the recall repairs performed, can't you just take it in to have them done yourself?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot View Post
If you purchase an Elise that has not had the recall repairs performed, can't you just take it in to have them done yourself?

If you have one that does not have the recall done, the. You absolutely should have the dealer perform the recall.

Sturgeon is making a small, important point - if the lines break while on your way to the dealer, then you have to repair the engine out of pocket. If you request that the seller does it before the purchase, you don't risk that scenario but the seller does. Since it was their responsibility to handle the recall, it makes sense.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
If you have one that does not have the recall done, the. You absolutely should have the dealer perform the recall.

Sturgeon is making a small, important point - if the lines break while on your way to the dealer, then you have to repair the engine out of pocket. If you request that the seller does it before the purchase, you don't risk that scenario but the seller does. Since it was their responsibility to handle the recall, it makes sense.

Okay. That makes sense, and it's a great point.

From Sturgeon's wording, I just got the impression that there might be some issue with getting the recall performed after transferring ownership. Or having to pay for the recall work to be performed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2015, 11:49 AM

Yes. Lotus will still perform the oil line recall repairs for free. But there were 2 buyers that had the oil lines blow within the first 10 days as a new owner this year. Lotus honored the oil line recall work but would NOT cover the damage to the engine. Their stance was that the recall work had been available for a while and owners should have had the recall performed. Up until then if you blew an oil line and it damaged your engine they would replace the engine at no cost. So yes, the recall work is still available for free but they will NOT cover damage to the engine anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRobot View Post

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 04:35 AM

As a recall note: Not all states have a Lotus dealership. You may have to trek a hundreds of miles to get to the nearest dealership.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Just have your VIN number ready and call the dealer. It also wouldn't be a bad time to get your PIN number for the alarm in case you ever need to it (the manual explains how to do things like change settings, synch a new remote, and how to start without the fob if you have the PIN). I need to make that same call ASAP, too.

Thank you for sharing this. I also had no idea how to find out if recall work had been done on my used car or about getting the PIN number.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 02:50 PM

Garage
Good stuff to know

Part time programmer full time graham cracker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in