Oil Cooler Hose Popped last night. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil Cooler Hose Popped last night.

So, on the way home from work yesterday, at about 70 in 6th, the engine power dropped. I looked and the oil light was on. I killed the engine, clutch in and coasted up an off ramp to a side street. Oil everywhere, from the front. Towed home. Phun.

As the warranty is long expired (2006 Elise), I suppose I could get the lines replaced under the recall, but what about the motor? Condition is unknown at this time.

Bringing the car to a dealer will likely cost me more than just buying the hoses and replacing them myself.

What I'm thinking here is to cut the lines, temporarily splice them together with a double hose barb and some clamps, add some oil, pull the plugs/fuel pump fuse, crank for a while to push oil through the system, then put the plugs/fuse back in and see what it sounds like. Death rattle would indicate popped motor.

If the motor is popped, is there some particular year 2ZZGE that is the correct replacement? I mean, there's a lot of them out there at junk yards, or maybe JDM places. Are all the years the same or do I need one particular year to search for?

Ideas/comments?

'74 Europa TCS, '70 Europa S2, '00 Locost Se7en.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 07:23 AM

Good news

You are also getting a new motor!

[B]05 Lotus Elise REV400, Stage II, BWR TB, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, Carbon Fiber Spliter, GRP Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, Allitech, CF interior, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 AM

I wouldn't touch anything. Tow to dealer. Try and get new lines and engine via recall.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 AM
German Reimport

^what they said^

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hess View Post
So, on the way home from work yesterday, at about 70 in 6th, the engine power dropped. I looked and the oil light was on. I killed the engine, clutch in and coasted up an off ramp to a side street. Oil everywhere, from the front. Towed home. Phun.

As the warranty is long expired (2006 Elise), I suppose I could get the lines replaced under the recall, but what about the motor? Condition is unknown at this time.

Bringing the car to a dealer will likely cost me more than just buying the hoses and replacing them myself.

What I'm thinking here is to cut the lines, temporarily splice them together with a double hose barb and some clamps, add some oil, pull the plugs/fuel pump fuse, crank for a while to push oil through the system, then put the plugs/fuse back in and see what it sounds like. Death rattle would indicate popped motor.

If the motor is popped, is there some particular year 2ZZGE that is the correct replacement? I mean, there's a lot of them out there at junk yards, or maybe JDM places. Are all the years the same or do I need one particular year to search for?

Ideas/comments?
If you brought it to dealer, then your engine - if damaged - would also be replaced under warranty....from what I read here.

So, if you find or suspect damage....

And, I think the lines are fine; only the fittings need repair.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I put a call in to voice mail at Lotus USA. I guess that's all I can do for today.

So, where's the nearest dealer to NW Arkansas? Anything in Oklahoma? KC?

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM

Garage
I believe the closest to us will be either the DFW area or St Louis....

Wes K.
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange - Sport Pack
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Such moderate

Garage
Lotus of plano in dallas is about 6 to 7 weeks behind on appointments!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Apparently LoP has 1 guy that works on Lotus. Anyone have any good experiences with a Houston dealer? Dr.L is always keen on a trip to Hou (grandbabies...) If I have to drag it to Dallas, Houston isn't that much further and I think my Truck knows the way by itself.

Anyway, gotta wait for HQ to see what's up.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hess View Post

Ideas/comments?
I have had my 2005 Oil cooler and lines replaced twice. Once about 1 1/2 years ago, after the same thing happened to me. Then again 2 weeks ago under the recall. It is a big job, clam off. I also had the radiator replaced with an aluminum one from Monkey wrench racing. The dealer had told me about two Elises's that had there radiators spring leaks. One was on the rack in the service bay. And the other on a race track, the guy lost the motor. If you have the clam for the recall, it is only about three hours labor for the radiator. The radiator from Monkey wrench was not a perfect fit. The mechanic said that the hose attachment points were a little off. So it needed a little fiddling.
Ron

Ron Avery
Winnetka Ca
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM

I scheduled my oil line cooler recall which is about 3 weeks out. I was just wondering if my oil cooler lines fail before the scheduled appointment and the engine gets damaged that LotusUSA will replace the engone at not cost to the customer. Is there any document stating this. thanks!

06 AW Exige with sc kit
2012 Fuji white Range Rover Evoque
2013 Audi A7 3.0t prestige daytona pearl gray
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 PM

hey i had my oil lines blow too... only mine was right after i turned the car on, i quickly turned it off. The dealer told me if the engine got screwed they would change it as well. my car is out of warranty and thats what they said. After inspection and new oil lines, the engine was not affected, so i was lucky....(or unlucky i guess haha could have had a new engine)

take it to dealer, you wont pay anything and they will fix it for you.

2006 Lotus Elise CO
2003 C32 amg
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just loaded the car onto the car hauler 18 wheeler. Heading for St. Louis.

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 AM

my question is this....WHY HAVE YOU NOT DONE THE RECALL ALREADY?

hello to everyone reading this: LOTUS HAS A RECALL FOR THIS EXACT REASON...REPEAT A RECALL HAS BEEN ISSUES TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.

oh that won't happen to my car should not enter your mind when dealing with this problem...GO GET IT DONE and stop the above scenario from happening to you.

2006 Autumn Gold SOLD
2005 Bourdeaux elise SOLD
2005 Storm Titanium Totaled by a doge 1 ton
1994 ferrari 348 spider nero/nero SOLD...2008 toyota yaris hatch SOLD...71 volkswagen type 2 with 79 hydraulic type IV 2.0/dual 40 idf webers! SOLD 72 europa tcBV sold, 2008 cayman SOLD, MV Agusta brutale S SOLD

oh yeah...I apologize in advance to the weak...
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyskt View Post

hello to everyone reading this: LOTUS HAS A RECALL FOR THIS EXACT REASON...REPEAT A RECALL HAS BEEN ISSUES TO STOP THIS FROM HAPPENING.

oh that won't happen to my car should not enter your mind when dealing with this problem...GO GET IT DONE and stop the above scenario from happening to you.
^^ Exactly ^^

A known problem, and then what happens... People think it will not happen to me?
Why people do not get these fixed is unfathomable.
How much is the cost of oil lines compared to oil lines, oil, an engine, towing and cleaning?
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
glb

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
^^ Exactly ^^

A known problem, and then what happens... People think it will not happen to me?
How much is the cost of oil lines compared to oil lines, oil, an engine, towing and cleaning?
Of course.

Some of us drive a lot of long distances. What a hassle to come up with a bad radiator or broken fittings in the midst of a trip.

If coolant or, more likely, oil were to coat a tire (or brakes) at an inopportune
time, a bad crash could ensue.

Is "cause & effect" no longer taught?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:33 PM

Same thing happened to me. I went to change lanes at about 70mph and noticed the car felt like it was on ice then the oil light came on and I shut it down. The dealer had it towed at no cost
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 03:54 PM

My car was in the latest expansion of the recall (oct '07 build) which just became official (letters reportedly mailed yesterday). I just scheduled the service, and I'm getting a pro alloy radiator installed at the same time. Lotus keeps gradually expanding the recall to include newer cars, my guess is they didn't want to flood their modest dealer network so they intentionally spread it out. Of course they could never admit to that.

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
^^ Exactly ^^

I called a dealer to schedule back in the first part of February.
Earliest appointment - Mid march.

They were getting "several" calls per week on the recall and were swamped between that and normal business.
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, well... Recall notices came out officially about 2 months ago. Cars are 7-8 years old. What's a month? POP.

Anyone in the Midwest, St. Louis seems to have some time available, when he finishes mine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in