Oil Cooler Hose Popped last night. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 04:32 PM

I am about an hour from STL, and I need mine done. When I called them last time they didn't have the parts, and told me that they would contact me, but haven't contacted me yet.

2006 Exige
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, they had one set of parts. Actually, they ordered them for my car. They put them on and started it up. Bad noises came next. Time for a New Motor. Oh well. I put it at 50-50 the motor survived. Guess not.

'74 Europa TCS, '70 Europa S2, '00 Locost Se7en.
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Picked up the car a couple hours ago. Total bill was five bills for a clutch disk (old one was 60% worn) and a drive belt. On the way home.

Good to have Gandalf back. I'm taking it easy on the new motor.

post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 10:36 AM

Had the same thing happen to me two weeks ago. Was about a mile from the house, light came on and being at night, saw it immediately and shut it down!

Had it towed to the dealership and they did the recall fix. They called me a couple days later saying they test drove it and all was well! While it was there I had them pull the pan to install a baffled oil and and they found HUGE metal chunks in it. The service advisor said Lotus should replace the engine but...

LOTUS SAYS NO! I bought the car from a member here last October, have only put 3K miles on it, and Lotus is saying I should have checked the Carfax (I did and it said no open recalls) and that I should have registered it with them.

Advice?
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 10:44 AM
He's on fire!

I don't have any real advice, but I can see lotus's point. The recall was a long time ago, if the oil cooler lines can pop and cause much more damage I don't blame them for not wanting to foot the bill for someone that waited (even if most of the fault is on the previous owner)

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 12:43 PM
glb

Yeah, I tend to agree with Jds. While I sympathize with you, I might well take the Lotus position.

Were any of the hose ends changed prior to your purchase??

How many total miles on the car?

Did you happen to know of the recall when you bought the car?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

Last edited by glb; 05-08-2015 at 02:17 PM.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:17 PM

I've owned my 07 since before the first oil line recall. I have received absolutely nothing from Lotus or anyone saying that there is a recall. I know all about it and ran for 2 years without a cooler to avoid an issue. Just had the recall done a couple weeks ago. I would have thought that the NHTSA would require Lotus to figure out who owned these cars and sent something in the mail.
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:39 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
I've owned my 07 since before the first oil line recall. I have received absolutely nothing from Lotus or anyone saying that there is a recall. I know all about it and ran for 2 years without a cooler to avoid an issue. Just had the recall done a couple weeks ago. I would have thought that the NHTSA would require Lotus to figure out who owned these cars and sent something in the mail.
he's only owned it for 3 months, likely they did send something to the previous owner. I don't see how lotus would be liable for notifying each new owner if the recall hadn't been perfomed.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:24 PM

In his case with a 3 month ownership.....sure. I've had mine for 4 years and received nothing. Did the previous owner of his car get anything? Maybe not.
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:22 PM

I've owned mine 4 years and never got anything from Lotus. But I did do the recall as soon as parts were readily available. Rick N: did you have a PPI done on the car? Also I would contact the North America Lotus rep that has been posted before. Does anyone have that info handy for Rick N?

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 12:22 AM

I did get the recall notice in the mail as soon as it became available for 2008+ models. In the beginning it was only for the earlier cars. I am the original buyer of my car.
I was aware of the cooler line situation for a long time with previous model year cars. So, I made the appointment with the dealership as soon as I could and got it done and done.

It's a tough situation to be in, I hope you come to a mutually agreeable terms.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Primm907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Hess View Post
Picked up the car a couple hours ago. Total bill was five bills for a clutch disk (old one was 60% worn) and a drive belt. On the way home.

Good to have Gandalf back. I'm taking it easy on the new motor.
So, was the STL dealership decent to deal with? I've only had my Exige for a few weeks and called immediately to find out if the recall had already been done. The tech I spoke to at the STL shop confirmed it had not been done yet, but he didn't seem very concerned at all about getting it in quickly. I had basically decided to wait until after summer to trailer it up there since based upon his input. He said they wouldn't know if it would just require replacing the lines (in stock) or also the coolers (have to order) until they put their eyes and hands on the car. I'm in Springdale, so a day for lines versus 3 or 4 days to order coolers is kind of a big deal when it comes to logistics...

2006 Lotus Exige: toy
2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS: daily
2016 BMW X3: wife
2014 BMW X1: kiddo
2014 Ridley Helium SL: therapy
Previous Rides: over 30 assorted
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Supporting Vendor

I keep lines and coolers in stock

Indianapolis isnt too far. If we can ever help anyone in any way please let us know.

T.J.

GATOR MOTORSPORT
'The Lotus Evora - A Rose of a Different Color'
Authorized Lotus, Rossion, Magnum, and Zenos dealership.
Specializing in Lotus service, parts, and performance upgrades.
"Unrivaled Excellence"
3353 West 96th Street. Indianapolis, IN 46268
(855)-428-6767
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Click here to take a virtual tour of our facilities!

Last edited by GatorMS_Service; 05-12-2015 at 08:46 AM.
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by primm907 View Post
So, was the STL dealership decent to deal with? I've only had my Exige for a few weeks and called immediately to find out if the recall had already been done. The tech I spoke to at the STL shop confirmed it had not been done yet, but he didn't seem very concerned at all about getting it in quickly. I had basically decided to wait until after summer to trailer it up there since based upon his input. He said they wouldn't know if it would just require replacing the lines (in stock) or also the coolers (have to order) until they put their eyes and hands on the car. I'm in Springdale, so a day for lines versus 3 or 4 days to order coolers is kind of a big deal when it comes to logistics...
Well, I dunno. I suppose they were OK overall. They fixed it. I thought their charges for things not under the warranty were a tad high. like several hundred for a serpentine belt. When we got there, they kinda looked at us like red headed step children. I mean, 5 sales guys standing around talking to each other when two customers walk in and they do zip to even say "hello." Compared to Lexus of Tulsa, I'd give them a 2 on a 1-10 scale. Maybe 3 at most.

If I were you, I wouldn't drive the car without fixing the hoses. At very least, put some compression clamps on the hoses ends. When that thing pops, it's game-over.

As a general update, I am still battling USAA over the value of the car. They are still trying to lowball me. As a reminder, a dumb-**** in a Jeep rear ended me and totaled out the car last August or so. My back, neck and thumb still hurt.

post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Primm907

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMS_Service View Post
I keep lines and coolers in stock

Indianapolis isnt too far. If we can ever help anyone in any way please let us know.

T.J.
Well, Indy is basically double the distance compared to STL for me. Would an early Saturday appointment even be an option? It'd be a lot of miles over 2 days, but I'd almost consider it if I could service knocked out in one day...

2006 Lotus Exige: toy
2009 Porsche Cayenne GTS: daily
2016 BMW X3: wife
2014 BMW X1: kiddo
2014 Ridley Helium SL: therapy
Previous Rides: over 30 assorted
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 08:42 AM
Supporting Vendor

sadly we are closed on the weekends. Sorry. If just the recall needs to be done, it can be done in 1 day though.

T.J.

GATOR MOTORSPORT
'The Lotus Evora - A Rose of a Different Color'
Authorized Lotus, Rossion, Magnum, and Zenos dealership.
Specializing in Lotus service, parts, and performance upgrades.
"Unrivaled Excellence"
3353 West 96th Street. Indianapolis, IN 46268
(855)-428-6767
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Click here to take a virtual tour of our facilities!

post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 03:24 PM

Garage
Billy @Lotus San Francisco just finished my 08 Exige in a matter of few hours, so glad I don't have to worry about the line anymore.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Did they remove the clam?
They only replace the fitting correct?
-Robert

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 PM

Garage
They stated they only remove the clam if the fitting doesn't come out correctly, in the case that happens new oil coolers go in at the same time but usually still only takes 1 day to complete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in