Oil line recall - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Mulholland>SCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetthrowback View Post
damn not sure if i should go to lotus, i'm a 2nd hand owner
What do you mean? You are not sure you want Lotus to do anything, or you think they will not because you are a second hand owner? If you are referring to the later, it does not matter. You are still covered under the recall.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:55 AM

no i'm saying i hate when recalls like this happens b.c as of now and what i know nothing is wrong with my car so i don't want to fix something thats not broken, this happen with my friends gtr, i think the 09's and some problem with the collar steering and he wasn't sure if he should do it cause their was nothing wrong with his car and he didn't want to go to nissan and have some guy work on it take his car apart or scratch the interior or something like that... next thing you bring ur car in for the recall then next you got a dent or something on ur car that wasn't their..

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
post #103 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 AM

Well, you're not required to bring the car in - your choice. Just remember that for most owners, the first indication that they have the problem is when all the oil spews out on the highway and they lunch the engine. So, given the choice between that and a scratch on the interior of my car ...

post #104 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:01 AM

yea.. so how would they get in contact with the 2nd hand owners cause i never got a call, i just stubbled apron on this thread....

06 OCM elise r.i.p.
post #105 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Mulholland>SCC

You do not need a call. The recall is publicized so you know to go to your dealer.

Toys-
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #106 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 07:25 AM

Speaking from a service adviser’s point of view from a non-Lotus dealer…Recalls are good for the life of the vehicle and to the current owner. I would wait until you have your next service to have them inspected. IF you were to blow the oil line off and destroy a motor, Lotus will have to replace the motor. The recall is to keep them from having to do this because there is a ‘defect’ in the oil line fittings. Also, if you were to take the vehicle in, had the recall completed and they looked at it, repaired nothing, and sent you on your way with no problem found and you were to have a problem down the road Lotus warranty will have to take care of it. I am sure a simple call to Lotus will clarify this. In my experience the dealerships are out of the loop and worthless as to what the protocol is or should be

We have evolved!! Two black marks now.
post #107 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 03:05 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetthrowback View Post
no i'm saying i hate when recalls like this happens b.c as of now and what i know nothing is wrong with my car so i don't want to fix something thats not broken, this happen with my friends gtr, i think the 09's and some problem with the collar steering and he wasn't sure if he should do it cause their was nothing wrong with his car and he didn't want to go to nissan and have some guy work on it take his car apart or scratch the interior or something like that... next thing you bring ur car in for the recall then next you got a dent or something on ur car that wasn't their..
When these fittings let go, it's not gradually. You have only seconds to shut down the engine before damaging.

Moreover, if oil gets on a tire, you will lose traction.

One example (if any) of damage done at a dealership means nothing, given that 99.99999% of the time, it all goes well. This will be the 2nd recall for me (shifter = first) and it's no problem.

so, nothing is wrong with your car at this moment. the next, there may be. I assume you're checking all the connections for leaks, but that doesn't speak to what the future holds.

Your choice.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #108 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 PM

have the dealers received any guidance as to how this is going to be implemented? I contacted Lotus USA, they "Added me to their contact list" and that is the last I heard...I plan on having the work done if/when available

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
post #109 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:20 PM

I just spoke with my local Lotus dealer regarding a oil cooler line recall. He said Lotus is aware of the problem and they (the dealer) have not recieved any guidance as to what actions to take regarding the recall.
They have replaced some customer's lines and he suggested to save my reciepts if I do any work on my own.

FWTW- they have only been replacing fittings as they leak or show reason for concern.

2005 Bordeaux Met #21 (HT, Touring, Quicksilver ext, TRM F1 wheels, Stan Stud, HID lights, BWR S/C,Filled motor mounts, catch can, no camber shims, Tillett saddles)
2004 Audi S4 Sedan (Tip, GAIC Chip, AWE Cat-back, Team Dyanmics Pro 1.2 wheels, H-sport sway bars)
2002 F-350 (Powerstroke, 4x4, Banks power pack, 6th alternator)
Couple nice bicycles, way too many snow skis.
post #110 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallingt View Post

FWTW- they have only been replacing fittings as they leak or show reason for concern.
But doesn't that mean if they dont do it now, and it starts leaking in 6 months/years its still covered under the recall?

Or even worse for them; if they say its ok now, and it breaks in 6 months/years and blows the engine or wrecks the car then what are they responsible for?

Looking at the pictures of the leaking lines, it seems that some well placed oil before you go for the recall...

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #111 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 04:03 PM
Carbon Fiber

Thumbs down

Quote:

only been replacing fittings as they leak or show reason for concern?!?!?

Were fuct... What a bs fix. there not going to go the extra mile and replace all lines...

I am looking into an alternative solution. Gotta get the old ones off first.

This car is new to me, Wrench men; can I get the lines off the car without clam removal, just removing the bottom pans. I have the single oil cooler both lines on passanger side "usa".

If I end up taking my clams off I am calling pooter for a paintjob in MY garage.
post #112 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 04:09 AM

I talked with my local dealer. They are aware of the problem from Lotus. Stated that there have been no reported incidents to their dealer. And that it will be a couple of months before the repair kits are available. Jeff (Michigan)
post #113 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 06:12 AM
tmr

Back when my dealer discovered my leak in June, they recommended replacing all of the linesets with new, including front clam removal for access. That was when it was on my nickel, though....

Fast forward to a week or so ago, I did what they recommended and saved the old lines, which they had to cut in order to remove.

'05 Lotus Elise (Arctic Silver) Sport, HT, Stage II, Odyssey PC925, Cup 240r Wheels
'11 BMW 335i (Alpine White) M-Sport, Premium, Heated Seats, HK, Ipod adaptor, 6 MT, Performance Power Kit - Euro Delivery 5/11/2011 - daily driver
'87 Nissan Pickup (Burgandy) King Cab, used for hauling stuff
'17 Audi A4 Ultra (Monsoon Gray) Premium Plus - Wife's car - Delivery 2/17
post #114 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 AM

Well this is fortuitous timing - last night (2006) my oil line burst off the radiator, oil light came on, and I pulled off within 1/4 mile/1 minute of the event. Woke up this morning to a puddle of oil on the ground dripping from the front left tire. The engine might be toast too as it made bad, bad sounds as I was slowing down. It's at Harry's (A1 automotive), as I didn't know about the recall until searching frantically this morning...I might have gotten very lucky.
post #115 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:00 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhambrapilot View Post
Well this is fortuitous timing - last night (2006) my oil line burst off the radiator, oil light came on, and I pulled off within 1/4 mile/1 minute of the event. Woke up this morning to a puddle of oil on the ground dripping from the front left tire. The engine might be toast too as it made bad, bad sounds as I was slowing down. It's at Harry's (A1 automotive), as I didn't know about the recall until searching frantically this morning...I might have gotten very lucky.
I think we have <7 seconds to shut engine off, so best to coast to shoulder.

Are you saying you're lucky because Lotus will replace your engine?

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #116 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhambrapilot View Post
Saw your car there this morning (my titanium Elise was there for service). Sorry to hear. What's your plan? Going to replace the lines yourself?
post #117 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Mulholland>SCC

Quote:
Because there was not a recall prior. Now there is.

Everyone should know, no matter what vehicle you are driving, if the oil light comes on, TURN OFF THE ENGINE IMMEDIATELY although once that light comes on, it is probably too late. Yeah, your car may run afterwards, but there is damage and it will fail prematurely. I seriously doubt Lotus will replace an engine on a car out of warranty. The recall is for personal safety, not for reliability of the car.

Toys-
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #118 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 11:17 AM

I don't know what the plan is. I don't know how damaged my engine is, as it was definitely on for more than 7 seconds. I guess I need to hear from Lotus/Galpin on Monday to see what they are going to cover.

Also, I don't have another car, so I'm going to have to figure out how long this is going to take and if I need a rental car or should just buy a beater.
post #119 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 02:18 PM
6i9

Mileage of your failure?

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
post #120 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:07 PM

Good news, however. Harry was able to reattach/fix the oil line, and there was no engine damage despite it needing a full 6 quarts of oil added. I have a drivable car now, and can wait in line for Galpin to get the parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in