Oil line recall - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 03:28 PM
6i9

Harry is the man. He fixed my punctured fuel line in a few hours.

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:18 PM

On my one Elise I had a life threatening incident when the line blew. I have since exchanged the motor for a Turbo Ecotec that has an integrated oil cooler. So I lucked out (didn't know that when I made the decision) and now have no remote oil coolers on that car. My other Elise still has two coolers.
I will probably be putting up the driverside cooler for sale next month when I get home. My stock Elise is an early 05 so I'll have to look into this recall.
post #123 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Carbon Fiber

Glad to hear your motor is ok after 1/4 of low oil! Did they bypass the oil cooler?

If brute force is not working you're not using enough.

post #124 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 PM

Well, he said it took 6 quarts, but at least 2-3 were in a puddle laying on the ground this morning, so I think I had oil in the engine for most of the experience. Harry just fixed everything as is without having to take off the claim. I'll still get the recall work done and try to submit my receipt for his work for reimbursement. It certainly could have been a lot worse, both from a mechanical and a safety point of view, as the oil was dripping/spurting directly on the front left tire.
post #125 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=glb;1664232]I think we have <7 seconds to shut engine off, so best to coast to shoulder.

QUOTE]

I'm going to have to say not true. I made it about a 1 mile and half down the road without any damage (I didn't know what happened and couldn't stop). The coolers themselves have oil in them so it takes a tick more than 7 seconds to fully expell all oil. I was on a divided highway at night in Vegas with a concrete wall inches away and drunks on every side. I got lucky and the compression, cams, and emissions (rings) checked out and the engine ran fine after I repaired the line and refilled it. The worst part was driving in the dark with a winshield covered in oil and death on every side.
post #126 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 AM
Carbon Fiber

Was it knocking real bad as you were driving? How fast were you going?
post #127 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 AM

More of a rattle than a knock - it happened on the freeway but I put the clutch in and coasted practically all the way to a stop.
post #128 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 08:41 AM

ALHAMBRAPILOT

My friend, your engine is done, believe me.

The fact that its not making noise at this point is not a a sign indicatings its healthy.

You've heard the rattle too, so either you comfort yourself in driving it without any noticeable problems today and it will go bad soon, or you have a thorough check up done with internal cams and what not to figure out what has got to be replaced.

Best case scenario you'll only have one part of the block needed to be repaired.

u can always pm for more info
post #129 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Anybody get anything in the mail yet from Lotus USA?

2007 Chili Red Elise
2009 Chrome Orange Exige S260
post #130 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 02:13 PM

I was reading the factory service manual to learn more about the oil coolers, lines and locations.

In case this was not previously surfaced there is a TSB dated 9/16/2004 that calls for checking oil cooler hose connections. So oil connections issues is not new.

I wonder if dealers checked this routinely before delivery? Seems that it should have covered off the issue?

Jeff
post #131 of 1102 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrice View Post
I was reading the factory service manual to learn more about the oil coolers, lines and locations.

In case this was not previously surfaced there is a TSB dated 9/16/2004 that calls for checking oil cooler hose connections. So oil connections issues is not new.

I wonder if dealers checked this routinely before delivery? Seems that it should have covered off the issue?

Jeff
This was discussed before:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMullen View Post
That was concerning a problem with some of the early cars, not the failure of the crimp connection on the hoses. Someone at the factory was apparently tightening the oil cooler hoses to the coolers without using two wrenches - one to keep the fitting on the cooler from twisting. It would twist the cooler fitting and cause a crack and a loss of oil. They fixed the problem at the factory (probably taught the guy how to do it properly) and that was a TSB to check the cars that were already out. Note that it did not affect that many of the early cars.

'05 ELISE Storm Titanium LSS/TP/HT/Dual Oil Coolers/Starshield/Raptor Racing exhaust XP111 (LBH)/BWR 7/8" Anti Roll Bar
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"
post #132 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-03-2011, 04:28 PM

I'm calling galpin lotus on Monday... I wonder if Abe down in Newport Beach, CA has heard any new news?

--
'05 Lotus Elise Chrome Orange, Touring, QuickSilver Exhaust, Dual Oil Coolers, Aluminium Triple Pass RACE Radiator, Exige ProBax Seats
'01 GMC Yukon SLE, Onyx Black, 4.8L V8
'00 C5 Corvette Convertible, Red, 5.7L V8
post #133 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:40 AM

I contacted my lotus dealer and they said they had not yet received directions on what to do for the recall. He said I would get a letter from LOTUS as to what to do.

He said...
---
Lotus is still working on exactly what will be done regarding the recall. They have not released any information to the dealers yet. As soon as the information is released Lotus will contact all registered owners. If you have any other questions or concerns please don’t hesitate to contact me at anytime.
---

Just waiting for now I guess...

2006 AR N/A Exige-Touring pack-Starshield-TopspeedPro1 exhaust-DeSnorked-Green filter-RTD ToeBrace-Shims Removed-CF Diffuser-CF Splitter-CF Wing-CF Scoops w/custom grills-Black Exige sticker-PC680 battery-S111 battery holddown-Rear Lotus badge-Carpet buttons-Painted shift knob-Painted Console-EBrake Gaiter-SilverStealth bulbs-Front S111 towhook-Polk speakers-Toyo R888s-Lamin-x turn signal tint
post #134 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 09:49 PM
6i9

Don't companies usually have a god damn fix ready before announcing a recall? I'm sure the NHTSA works with the company and alerts them to the recall prior to making it public.

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco
post #135 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 AM
Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6i9 View Post
Don't companies usually have a god damn fix ready before announcing a recall? I'm sure the NHTSA works with the company and alerts them to the recall prior to making it public.
Exactly!! I had a recall on my ford, I get a letter and I can go to any dealer at anytime!

Now I get one on my LOTUS and I'm sitting here with a broken car, waiting. For this damn answer with my thumb up my ass.

Soon as I get the garage cleared out I'm just gonna fix it myself...

They got caught , they don't care about fixing it and there gonna drag Thierry feet n come up with a sub par solution I bet any money.

I know they don't give a shot about out 2006's...

If brute force is not working you're not using enough.
post #136 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Mulholland>SCC

I was trying to research to find how much time they had to begin the actual repairs once a recall is issued and so far all I can find is "reasonable amount of time". Vague verbage is open to interpretation.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #137 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM

I believe the recall covers all cars up to 06 and then 07 up to a certain production date. A friend has an 07 Elise. about a month ago he woke up to a pool of oil under the car. fortunately no damage to engine. The dealer here, had the car towed and sent a report to Lotus HO. The answer was: fix it. Apparently the dealer here is giving priority to cars that are not drivable. Fortunately the rest of us have their cars in storage and don't even care to get the car fixed now, anyways. I don't want to put insurance back on the car and then drive it in the snow and salt. Yokohama don't like freezing temps. I have to admit the dealer here: Gentry Lane has always been very fair and understanding when it comes to warranty and service issues. I have now an 07 Exige for 2 years and everything has been fair, despite a recent staff change up.
post #138 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Puff Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
I was trying to research to find how much time they had to begin the actual repairs once a recall is issued and so far all I can find is "reasonable amount of time". Vague verbage is open to interpretation.
Yikes... a "reasonable amount of time" for Lotus could mean 5-10 years

I don't expect to even take my car in for the recall unless they do something drastic like eliminating the air to air coolers and installing a Laminova type solution (which I'm hoping for... but don't expect).
post #139 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 PM

I took my car in to Galpin in Van Nuys this morning and asked about the recall. As you all know, the recall notice is quite vague, therefore, according to the tech who worked on my car today, the intent was really to create awareness. So unless something actually happens (e.g., oil leak, busted line, etc.), they won't replace it. He checked my lines and saw that nothing was leaking, clamps were tight, etc., so my car seems to be unaffected...at this point in time.

Btw, aside from looking into the oil cooler issue, I took the car in to have an oil change, top off fluids, perform a brake flush, check the battery, etc. I really wanted to be on the shop floor to watch the tech work on my car so I'll know how to do this myself in the future, but I wasn't quite sure how to ask since most shops would never allow a customer to stand in the bay breathing down the tech's back. Well before I even tried to muster up the courage to entertain the idea verbally to the service consultant, John Alavazo (super stand up guy, btw), HE brought it up to ME! He told me that I'm more than welcome to watch while the tech worked on my car AND ask him questions so I'd know how to do these things myself in the future. My jaw dropped. How was he able to read my mind so effectively?? He followed up with, "You Lotus owners are always the same. For some reason, Lotus owners seem to be the only ones that know every single detail about their car AND want to watch the tech work on it. No other customers do that; only Lotus owners." I had to laugh. I told him I didn't think it was allowed for customers to stand there, watch, and ask questions during the entire service. He said it wasn't, but they've made an exception for Lotus owners who "always insist on going back there to watch and learn". Too funny.

With that said, if you live in the San Fernando Valley or thereabouts, I would highly recommend taking your car there to get serviced if you normally don't do it yourself OR if you want to learn how to do something but you're not quite confident tackling it on your own. Juan Manriquez was the tech that so patiently endured my questions and painstakingly answered them all in detail while I shadowed him around my car the entire day.

There was a gray exige in the bay next to me that had his/her oil cooler hose replaced, but I believe it was due to some hard track time. McDonald's cup sitting in the cup holder (!) and a crumpled McDonald's bag lodged in between the center console and passenger seat. Belong to anyone here?
post #140 of 1102 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM

I've called Lotus 800# customer service line for information 3 times... left a VM each time and have yet to hear back from them... annoying. I guess they won't deal with it until you have the problem and only then, they'll take care of you.

--
'05 Lotus Elise Chrome Orange, Touring, QuickSilver Exhaust, Dual Oil Coolers, Aluminium Triple Pass RACE Radiator, Exige ProBax Seats
'01 GMC Yukon SLE, Onyx Black, 4.8L V8
'00 C5 Corvette Convertible, Red, 5.7L V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in