LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Official Recalls (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f361/)
-   -   Recall Official (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f361/recall-official-107638/)

SirLotus 10-31-2011 12:41 PM

Recall Official

1 Attachment(s)
Michael

TTZip 10-31-2011 01:16 PM

I am assuming my 2007 Exige S is safe?

bpfergu 10-31-2011 01:20 PM

I'm sure this has been heavily discussed, but how do we go about finding out if our particular vehicle needs to be taken in for this?

SouL 10-31-2011 01:38 PM

If your car was built before Nov 06, your car will need to be taken in.
It's on the sticker inside the door next to the air intake.

I just called the dealer and I was told Lotus hasn't quite yet instructed dealers on how to solve the issue and that parts haven't been delivered yet. Affected customers will be notified when the fix is ready to be performed.

doug_porsche 10-31-2011 01:41 PM

is there an expatriation date on this?
I keep an eye on this and dont see any leakage YET.

I dont want to take the car to the dealer and have them say "yep this one looks good, no leakage" and then in the next 6 months to 2 years have the fittings start to leak and the dealer says "Thats your problem"

RENDERMAN 10-31-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug_porsche (Post 1658205)
is there an expatriation date on this?
I keep an eye on this and dont see any leakage YET.

I dont want to take the car to the dealer and have them say "yep this one looks good, no leakage" and then in the next 6 months to 2 years have the fittings start to leak and the dealer says "Thats your problem"

If there's a recall they'll replace it regardless, just make sure to go first so I'll know there are no Donuts-Coffee surge-charges... lol

ewalberg 10-31-2011 02:18 PM

Will the fix require an oil change do to the process of fixing...

ephc 10-31-2011 02:24 PM

Great timing! Mine just gave out last week. I have to get home and check the build date...if its outside the range, maybe I can convince the service manager to do it anyway.

RENDERMAN 10-31-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewalberg (Post 1658217)
Will the fix require an oil change do to the process of fixing...

Bingo, $250!! :eek: That's where the dealership gets you. "Bend over I must check your prostate..."

tmr 10-31-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Will the fix require an oil change do to the process of fixing..
No doubt it will, as the lines will be full of oil, which will drain out when removed. Pick up a couple of 4 quart containers of Mobil 1 5W40 at WalMart and call it a day.

qz5gxt 10-31-2011 02:33 PM

What if we already paid to have new oil lines installed? NCI kit was my choice. My oil line blow and sprayed oil all over the front tire and brake as I was driving in pit on way from trailer to track about a month ago. I was very lucky it was in pits and not on track!

loki007 10-31-2011 02:34 PM

You don't have to drain the pan, but yea, the lines are chock full of slippery goodness. Those require careful refilling.

But, look at it this way. When will your car ever again really have the opprotunity to have a COMPLETE oil change? Most changes just take care of the oil pan, leaving all that extra in the lines, which I believe is like 3 quarts or so. That is, IF they replace the lines. I bet they'll just replace the crimps like ChrisH did (I believe it was him), but still, some oil will get out.

I just want to know where I can file my "already replaced" claim...

FistHammer 10-31-2011 02:35 PM

O sweet, looks like I might be getting free lines! Nice, been meaning to get to that new pittsburgh dealership!

Manufactured October, 2005. The title says it a 2006 though. I think I just made it hehe.

RENDERMAN 10-31-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmr (Post 1658221)
No doubt it will, as the lines will be full of oil, which will drain out when removed. Pick up a couple of 4 quart containers of Mobil 1 5W40 at WalMart and call it a day.

It's not so simple, no dealership will allow you to fill your own oil, they will charge you unless the recall states the oil is included

Formulabob 10-31-2011 04:46 PM

For all post-2006 models with oil coolers, was there actually a change in the hoses/crimps? If not, then the crimps on these cars eventually will start failing as on the earlier cars.

Does any one have a definitive answer as to whether the lines/crimps really are different post-2006? If no difference, the recall should be extended

Bob L

agirls 10-31-2011 04:48 PM

You guys bicker over everything. Anything required for the repair will be included, including oil. :rolleyes:

To the poster asking if there is an expiration on the recall, recalls do not expire.

agirls 10-31-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formulabob (Post 1658269)
For all post-2006 models with oil coolers, was there actually a change in the hoses/crimps? If not, then the crimps on these cars eventually will start failing as on the earlier cars.

Does any one have a definitive answer as to whether the lines/crimps really are different post-2006? If no difference, the recall should be extended

Bob L

Yes, it was answered in the original thread. Not sure why this one was created as the link does not provide any additional info. In Nov 2006, the process of crimping was changed and in 2010, the crimp was changed. Here, http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/do...1V510-2615.pdf

Formulabob 10-31-2011 05:08 PM

Thanks agirls, I just found the NHTSA finding that mentioned the process change from late 2006. Must say, however, that time will prove whether the process change truly was effective. The crimps on my 2008 Exige's oil hoses visually do not inspire a great deal of confidence.

If lines with the new processing have been tested to failure by Lotus and/or the supplier and showed significant improvement over the older processed lines, I would be satisfied. However, if this was done Lotus presumably would have told NHTSA and NHTSA would have mentioned this in their finding. In other words, I am skeptical that the change was validated by actual life testing.

Bob L

philethier 10-31-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouL (Post 1658203)
I just called the dealer and I was told Lotus hasn't quite yet instructed dealers on how to solve the issue and that parts haven't been delivered yet. Affected customers will be notified when the fix is ready to be performed.

Exactly the same story I got when I called the Minneapolis dealer today.

PECivil 10-31-2011 07:06 PM

I just got new lines too. I just could not continue tracking the car waiting for it to fail at the worst possible time. So do we get some kind of monetary payback?