The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

We should report the oil line failures to NHTSA

31K views 127 replies 66 participants last post by  ChrisH 
#1 ·
A couple weeks ago I had my passenger side rear oil line fitting blow out while driving. It soaked the rear tire and sprayed oil everywhere. When I started to look into this on Lotustalk, it became clear that this is a pretty common problem and is clearly a defect in the manufacturing or design of the car. I believe that this is also a safety hazard in that it could cause an engine fire or loss of traction or brake performance.

I think it would be a good idea for all owners that have had this failure to report these incidents to the NHTSA website. It just takes a couple minutes and it may force Lotus to be responsible for this obvious and unsafe defect.

Here is the website Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Bryan

#4 ·
I haven't had, and I hope I never have, the oil line failure. Most I have seen reported are the crimps at the coolers up front. Was your failure a crimped connection? I know of the U-joint jerry-rigged above the oil filter, but I haven't heard of the crimping failing at the rear junction, not that I doubt it.

#6 ·
Is there any way you can post a pic of where it failed? I wonder if it is something we could look for, like the cooling u-tube wearing, or the toe link, or the poor ac, or the...

Sorry it happened, I'm sure the tire and road wasn't the only thing that was covered in brown.

#7 ·
Apparently this happened to my first car after I sold it to the guy (in Cody, WY). He is not on the forums but since I communicated with him after the sale he said it was a real pain trying to find someone that could (or would) fix it properly.

Is this a problem with 05s only?

#9 ·
FWIW

when mine blew on a 05, Lotus replaced the engine.........the car had 13k when it went and it was under warranty at the time

#10 ·
Just filed a complaint with NHTSA...took about 5 minutes. Had 2 oil line failures on 2 separate occasions. Last one almost caused me to skid off the highway at 75mph.... and the engine was ruined.

#11 ·
I have a late '07 Elise and my blew out on the passenger side about a month ago. What an expensive mess.

- z

#12 ·
my friend's 07 exige s also blew a line while we parted ways a few months back. Luckily, it happened right as he got on the freeway and pulled over immediately. Dealer was like 10min away and engine was not damaged.

#13 ·
Whats the proper preventative maintenance for this? Do we have to remove the front clams?

#14 ·
Go with a MoCal oil/water cooler and do away with the entire front oil cooler setup. Lotus Sport sell the oil/water cooler or you can contact these folks Bat Inc. They have everything you need including new sandwich plate.

Stock Lotus has 27 feet of oil cooler lines (yes I did measure the ones I removed, huge weight savings also).

#19 ·
Driver's Side Oil Cooler Line

My 2005 failure was in 2005--apparently the hose or connection failed at the oil cooler. Fortunately I was going slowly and only two minutes from being able to park it. No engine damage, oil everywhere, a mess. Lotus fixed in under warrantee.

The dealer (Westlake CA.) had never seen this type of failure.

I never reported it.

#23 ·
My 2005 failure was in 2005--apparently the hose or connection failed at the oil cooler. Fortunately I was going slowly and only two minutes from being able to park it. No engine damage, oil everywhere, a mess. Lotus fixed in under warrantee.

The dealer (Westlake CA.) had never seen this type of failure.

I never reported it.
I believe you can still report it. All that you need is a VIN and an approximate date. The more reports NHTSA gets the more likely they will initiate an investigation and recall. It only takes a couple minutes.

Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

#20 · (Edited)
Should we standardized a draft among LotusTalk members so that we are all on the same page in what to write in the complaint?

Although I want to file a complaint, luckily *knock on wood* this has yet to happen on my car. Can I still file?

#24 ·
Can you tell if the lines are close to failure by inspecting them? I've looked mine over a few time and don't see any sign of leakage swelling etc, but now you guys have me worried. They've lasted 46K miles so far...

#26 ·
I dread the day I have this failure especially on track because more than likely it will be a very painful and expensive repair. I am out of warranty but this is potentially a serious failure. I hope every owner sees this and takes it seriously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.