We should report the oil line failures to NHTSA - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 04:00 PM

Dang, this seems to be happening at a more and more alarming rate. It almost seems like it WILL be guaranteed to happen if not replaced. I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb. I don't have the expertise to pull everything apart nor the spare $$$ to pay someone else to replace it right now. Yes, feel free to flame away but I'm not a mechanical wizard comfortable with removing clams and everything else associated with that project.

My Elise has 31K miles and is right in the 'zone' for the failure. I hope the NHTSA comes to a conclusion soon. This is not like normal wear and tear items that you replace when you see the wear. With this issue you are totally fine and any mechanic would look and say you are fine - until out of the blue you are totally not fine. Then you end up hopefully with only a damaged or roasted engine instead of losing control and going over a cliff or into head on traffic because of a massive oil blowout directly on your tires.

I told a girlfriend about this and now she won't ride with me until something gets done about it. Ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 PM

yeah I bought the 200mile towing AAA membership right before I drove down to Pismo Beach for the weekend. Good piece of mind.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
post #123 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 PM
6i9

Quote:
Originally Posted by discocubizm View Post
Got a call from NHTSA today. They want pictures and service records from my two oil line failures. The investigation appears to be in full swing...
Cool, please keep us posted.

2005 Magnetic Blue Lotus Exige
Drivetrain: Honda K20A Type R | Innovative Kit | Arqray Ti | SCM Intake/Header | Hondata | proRAD | Setrab | KTuned | V2 Fuel Tank | BOE Swirl
Aero: Exige Clams | Reverie | TWRD GT | Craftsquare | IMRP | BSK | Voltex
Suspension: Penske SA | V2arms | RTDbrace | CE28N | R888 | BOE Floating | Pagid RS14
Interior: Recaro SPG | Willans | WorksBell | Sparco

post #124 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:38 AM

i filled out my NHTSA form a couple of days ago...
post #125 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM

My car is an 08 exige s240 with 20k miles. After browsing this thread I decided to take a look at my front oil cooler lines fittings. The driver side fitting is completely clean but the passenger side looks like it's greasy not sure if it's leaking since it's impossible to get a close up look without removing the clam. Should i report this?
post #126 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stale_Hotdog View Post
My car is an 08 exige s240 with 20k miles. After browsing this thread I decided to take a look at my front oil cooler lines fittings. The driver side fitting is completely clean but the passenger side looks like it's greasy not sure if it's leaking since it's impossible to get a close up look without removing the clam. Should i report this?
Not familiar w/Exige, but if on elise, one can remove the front underpanel and the wheel well liner to get a good view.

NOTE to all: To find any leaks, throroughly clean area and dry completely.

Then, cover with talcum powder or Desenex. The source of the leak will become immediately apparent.

(I used powder to get track of animal living under a back step area too...worked beautifully)

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #127 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM

After a rather dangerous and horrible failure on my car a couple years ago I found this solution on Ltalk for $2. You just have to cut off the old crimped section of the collar and replace with screw straps (ghetto but effective). It won't come apart no how hard you pull. I removed my entire oil cooler assembly and using a water/oil cooler system for my Ecotec swap...if anyone needs hose or a cooler.
Attached Images

post #128 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnis View Post
After a rather dangerous and horrible failure on my car a couple years ago I found this solution on Ltalk for $2. You just have to cut off the old crimped section of the collar and replace with screw straps (ghetto but effective). It won't come apart no how hard you pull. I removed my entire oil cooler assembly and using a water/oil cooler system for my Ecotec swap...if anyone needs hose or a cooler.
The problem is that screw clamps eventually loosen due to repeated temperature cycles, and there was one report here of that happening to a guy who used screw clamps to repair his oil line (the oil line started leaking again). That is why Oetiker clamps are used instead. The crimp has springiness, so it expands and contracts with temperature changes. Oetiker clamps are not expensive. Buy a bag of 25 of their best clamps from McMaster-Carr for about $11 plus about $6 shipping. The following thread has all the specifics.
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f312...ictures-99266/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Official Recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in