Evora Stereo System - Page 11 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 209 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:29 AM
Galactic Hitchhiker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusTrbo View Post
question ... anyone else not getting anything out of their subwoofer ?
ok... before you spend $$ to update maps, none of the factory units get traffic info, and it's easier to get an address into google maps on your phone anyway.

If you want to look into it though, map updates for the Alpine units are at http://alpine.naviextras.com I don't know where Pioneer does theirs.

subwoofer: The amplifier is usually dead. It's behind the panel next to the woofer.

Parts Manager @ Sports Car World in Dallas
2014 Evora S 2+2, Racing Green Metallic
1986 Esprit Turbo HCi, Red
(sold) 2005 Elise, Saffron Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 209 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 12:26 PM

Garage
Just my few cents on this topic as I used to work for a high-end car audio shop and also competed in and judged IASCA events. If the front set of speakers is a true component set (separate tweeters, crossover, and mid-bass) deck power is seriously under power, even that small alpine amp that one of you had back by the sub is questionable. I know theres a lot of small class d amps now that will do upper range frequencies, but I havent heard them. I did however just do two simple systems for two friends with civics and used a rockford fosgate prime mono amp in each and was impressed (the r500x, I think). Size and weight were both small and I believe they got them from amazonn for less than 150. It also ran quite cool. The system that speaker zone (or whatever the name of the company was) I liked. I think the over use of kenwood was odd, and Im actually a kenwood fan, but just their decks. The way they taped off the car is actually common for a high-end car audio shop. Sealing off the factory sub box is a great idea. If you dont, getting an amp that has a high damping factor will help control a sub in a free air situation. Admittedly, I havent worked on an Evora yet, so setup is unfamiliar to me. When I finish my system in the Elise Ill post it on here. Idea is a basic kenwood digital media head KMM bt522hd, lowest one with 4v pre outs, helps keep out engine noise, also has changeable display color and brightness, reduces glare; a JL 500/5, not made anymore, 250/1+100/2+25/2 amp, built in crossovers low high and bandpass; an Image Dynamics IDQ 10 or 12 sub; Stevens audio MB 6 or 8 mid basses; and Stevens audio horn loaded compression drivers. Hopefully the horns fit, their imaging is much better than can be done with separates without tons of work, usually. Im real big on sound quality and since my Elise is a dd, Im willing to give up some weight for comfort. When I do installation, I may weigh parts so people can know, but right now Im just collecting parts. If anyone has questions feel free to ask, I love talking audio and auto, I may be willing to do audio work, but probably would charge more than any other shop. I focus on performance automotive, so dont look for the audio work.
post #203 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:10 AM

Garage
Decided to fix the sub, pulled everything, fuse ok, and light is green, but sub doesnít work. Anything else I should check or the sub is dead? Happened after a reputable mechanic killed my battery leaving the trunk open couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #204 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 10:35 AM
Happy To Be Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nintense View Post
Decided to fix the sub, pulled everything, fuse ok, and light is green, but sub doesnít work. Anything else I should check or the sub is dead? Happened after a reputable mechanic killed my battery leaving the trunk open couple days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think someone else in one of these posts recommended checking the sub with a multimeter to check continuity, then impedance. If those check okay, I think you can verify the sub physically works by touching the leads to a 9V battery to see if the speaker jumps at all. If it moves, then the sub isnít dead. This is all off the top of my head, Iím not great with electronics, so Iíd try to dig for a post that sounds similar to this.

I had the same problem as you that my sub seemed dead, but turned out everything was working, but my head unit settings were wrong. I left my car with the battery unhooked for a few months in storage and it reset my audio setting in the HU. The power loss made the sub setting go to minimum values so it barely worked. On some HUs, I could believe that the sub output could default to off, so my guess is itís all in the HU. Download the user manual for your model online and see how to turn on the sub and turn it up. I donít believe changing the fader setting will change how much bass is going through the sub since it has its own RCA out channels on the back of the HU. This was my issue and hopefully thatís all your issue ends up being.

If this still doesnít work, might need to pull the HU from the dash and make sure the RCA plugs are connected correctly.
brgelise and nintense like this.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue
post #205 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:12 AM

With the radio on, parking brake set press source, upper right hand corner press wrench, audio set up.this should give you access to the amp control
nintense likes this.
post #206 of 209 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
Its Kenwood unit
post #207 of 209 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Just installed the Alpine KTP-445A Booster in-line Amp 45W RMS, first step to updating speakers. I know this is not audiophile, well neither is my engine and road noises.

Step 1 cut back KTP harnesses I cut 24 inch out of car side plus spliced in a (Lessco parking brake by-pass transistor for settings)and cut 20 inch out of amp to HU side harness (could have cut 24", but didn't know final amp position at the time), wrapped harnesses in "gorilla" protective wrap.
Step 2 re-routed misc cables to HU to increase effective length and minimize since potential, wrapped combined in split "gorilla" protective wrap
Step 3 positioned amp vertically against flat plate on RHS behind HU, fused end up, secured with tape and foam block
Step 4 replace HU
Attached Images

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #208 of 209 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Just installed the Alpine KTP-445A Booster in-line Amp 45W RMS, first step to updating speakers. I know this is not audiophile, well neither is my engine and road noises.
Is there a significant improvement in sound quality?. I assume this does effect the Bass from the Sub-Woofer?

Phil Harrison
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2017 Lotus Evora 400
post #209 of 209 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:19 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharriso View Post
Is there a significant improvement in sound quality?. I assume this does effect the Bass from the Sub-Woofer?
Significant, no! Noticable, yes! For significant improvements I would need to change speakers, I have some but having yet installed, and spend time equalizing the sound stage.

I don't have a subwoofer, I have a LWT Sport model Evora. Regardless for cars that have a sub, this booster amp only involves the primary stereo channels, the subwoofer has its own output to dedicated amp.
pharriso likes this.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora > Evora How-to's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in