Feedback Requested: S2 Open Center Console - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Here is another rendering of one design. We have others we are working on while attempting to incorporate many of your suggestions. I hope to have a few more to share next week...
Attached Images

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:57 AM

To my eye, the "cap" looks disjointed. I assume that was intentional, but I think I'd like it better if the cap was better integrated to the base unit.

my .02, -Ed

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
To my eye, the "cap" looks disjointed. I assume that was intentional, but I think I'd like it better if the cap was better integrated to the base unit.

my .02, -Ed
Yes, I agree. This is a concept to visualize an idea and still needs some TLC. We have several others we are kicking around...
LightWhitening likes this.

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:23 PM

I like the disjointed look at the rear (closer to the parking brake lever) but I think the front should be contoured in. Still a seam where they meet, just on the same plane.

So far, a VERY cool concept!!

2010 Lotus Exige S240
2001 BMW M5
2017 Ford Raptor
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (wife-mobile)
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Here is another more detailed design that is allowing us to visualize the shifter. Let me know what you think...
Attached Images

addliteness likes this.

post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Here is another more detailed design that is allowing us to visualize the shifter. Let me know what you think...
My favorite render so far. As long as the material is sturdy enough, can you keep the shape of the top aspect of the light gray, but get rid of the light gray that goes downward? That’ll make the opening even bigger and the dark gray area remains.
shinoo likes this.
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 04:11 AM

Garage
I dig it a lot. Right now I am going even more naked (as I mentioned when we talked about custom floor mats for my application).

So I would be for even less material. Like a cage around the cage.

I have been experimenting with the underlying OEM cage, some 3M DINOC carbon vinyl, spare diffuser edge trim, and your Shiftr button box for a "naked carbon console" look. Aside from the "I did it so I like it" bias that I have going on right now, I think it is coming out not-too-bad. Of course all this is doing is reminding me that I DON'T have YOUR Shiftr...yet. But for now this is interesting and fun to mess with. Hoping to start putting my car back together soon and will post more pics of the finished product.
Attached Images

shinoo likes this.

-Smoky
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

We have 3D printed one design to test fit and confirm a couple of assumptions. It looks good.

Various finishes are possible. Our part will be paintable or should be coverable with leather/alcantara. We will also make it in CF if the demand is there. We carved up the stock console with this idea to keep the overall cost lower. Stock consoles are pretty cheap ~$60.

I have been driving it around to see how it looks. It gives a cleaner more tidy look than when just naked - somewhat like a bikini vs nude.

More pix to come as we get this one fully installed and painted.
Attached Images

lt1_fd3s likes this.

Last edited by shinoo; 09-21-2018 at 06:26 AM.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 04:52 PM

I think this looks awesome! I’d be interested in this for sure (depending on final cost) but looks awesome.
shinoo likes this.
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLotusYet View Post
I think this looks awesome! Iíd be interested in this for sure (depending on final cost) but looks awesome.
Thanks, this idea of a 'cap' helps keep the costs lower. It also gives client the chance to customize even further. We are finalizing a few details on final fitment, etc.

post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Nice, I like it. So, do we take it upon ourselves to modify the stock console for the cut-out?

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:04 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Why so bulky looking? Something about it just doesn't flow. Not my taste, but thanks for trying to keep the new products coming.

If you are going for that new shape on the top, I think a whole new center console may be in order to achieve a better looking design.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtinctElise View Post
Why so bulky looking? Something about it just doesn't flow. Not my taste, but thanks for trying to keep the new products coming.

If you are going for that new shape on the top, I think a whole new center console may be in order to achieve a better looking design.
Would be interesting to know if the actual size of this differs much from the stock console. My knee already bangs into the console enough as is.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
Would be interesting to know if the actual size of this differs much from the stock console. My knee already bangs into the console enough as is.
I was wondering the same thing.
glagola1 likes this.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery

Last edited by XtinctElise; 09-21-2018 at 04:51 PM.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
It is wider than stock at the top so we could fit the buttons. The button integration looks really nice compared to stock. Knee clearance is fine for the three different sized guys I sat in the car. I will get more folks in it once we get it painted.

Proportionally it works very well in the car. Of course the while color does not help and it looks bigger than it actually is. Styling will always be subjective but to the few people who have seen it, it is getting positive feedback. I will take it to a few Lotus events for more feedback and do appreciate you taking the time to comment.

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Nice, I like it. So, do we take it upon ourselves to modify the stock console for the cut-out?
Glad you like it. I've had several people look at it in person and they all have liked it.

Yes, the lowest cost version will rely on you to cut your center console. We will provide a template.

We may offer precut center consoles as well for those who lack the requisite time or skills...

post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
We have 3D printed one design to test fit and confirm a couple of assumptions. It looks good.

Various finishes are possible. Our part will be paintable or should be coverable with leather/alcantara. We will also make it in CF if the demand is there. We carved up the stock console with this idea to keep the overall cost lower. Stock consoles are pretty cheap ~$60.

I have been driving it around to see how it looks. It gives a cleaner more tidy look than when just naked - somewhat like a bikini vs nude.

More pix to come as we get this one fully installed and painted.
@shinoo I like where this is headed. As a designer, I imagined something with slighter sharper lines than this form. Your original rendering had more of that feel. You might be able to achieve this by orienting the buttons a more triangular arrangement. This would have the added benefit of narrowing the the overall form slightly, although it would be slightly longer. It would be great to see another option, to see which elicits more positive reactions.

Thanks,
Chris
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by addliteness View Post
@shinoo I like where this is headed. As a designer, I imagined something with slighter sharper lines than this form. Your original rendering had more of that feel. You might be able to achieve this by orienting the buttons a more triangular arrangement. This would have the added benefit of narrowing the the overall form slightly, although it would be slightly longer. It would be great to see another option, to see which elicits more positive reactions.

Thanks,
Chris
Thx for the feedback, Chris. Yes, the form is somewhat driven by the soft shapes within the car now as well as the mechanical/wiring bits underneath. We are adding some alcantara to this piece right now to see how it looks when it is finished. I think the white color does not do it any favors - especially in these pix. We have not frozen the design so have time to make adjustments and might once we upholster it and reinstall.
addliteness likes this.

post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 04:55 AM

I wasn't planning to buy one, so you don't need to cater to my thoughts...but it might be nice if the "open" section were see-through instead, using some clear plexiglass. I can imagine tons of dust forming in there which would then give the opposite effect of "cool car".
shinoo and smokin orange like this.
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
I wasn't planning to buy one, so you don't need to cater to my thoughts...but it might be nice if the "open" section were see-through instead, using some clear plexiglass. I can imagine tons of dust forming in there which would then give the opposite effect of "cool car".
You'll end up with dust in there either way, too many holes/gaps around the edges already with the stock console to keep dust out, at least if it's open you can just reach in and wipe it off.
shinoo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > InoKinetic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in