Feedback Requested: S2 Open Center Console - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
I wasn't planning to buy one, so you don't need to cater to my thoughts...but it might be nice if the "open" section were see-through instead, using some clear plexiglass. I can imagine tons of dust forming in there which would then give the opposite effect of "cool car".
The open look is sweet. I especially like the 1st rendering with the 3 botton in a row

Pexiglass will make it look like the decade old computer towers with pexiglass side and neon lights
addliteness likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudySkys View Post
You'll end up with dust in there either way, too many holes/gaps around the edges already with the stock console to keep dust out, at least if it's open you can just reach in and wipe it off.
Yeah, keep the interior clean is a challenge with an open car!

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Craig View Post
I wasn't planning to buy one, so you don't need to cater to my thoughts...but it might be nice if the "open" section were see-through instead, using some clear plexiglass. I can imagine tons of dust forming in there which would then give the opposite effect of "cool car".
I like the clear window idea but it is outside the scope of what we can do now. I think we can look at it in the future. An entirely clear console would really be interesting....

post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
Thx for the feedback, Chris. Yes, the form is somewhat driven by the soft shapes within the car now as well as the mechanical/wiring bits underneath. We are adding some alcantara to this piece right now to see how it looks when it is finished. I think the white color does not do it any favors - especially in these pix. We have not frozen the design so have time to make adjustments and might once we upholster it and reinstall.
More thoughts. What about keeping the odometer reset on the front of the console and moving the lock switch there too. Hazard stays on top. Less visible buttons would be cleaner and since one is a button and the other is a switch, I don't need to see them to determine function. Again, it would also help keep in narrow.

Chris
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 08:38 PM

Not odometer reset. Door lock and traction control
shinoo likes this.
post #46 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 AM

I'm in for this! No glass. S3 as is. Its already near perfect.
shinoo likes this.

2007 Lotus Exige S - Aspen White
post #47 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

I've finally found some time (moving ain't no fun!) to tweak the fitment on our product. Specifically I needed to adjust the way it attaches to the stock center console. Here is a picture of the latest prototype. We attempted to add some suede but it needs some work. I am now getting it quoted and will get timing sorted.
Attached Images

Varun916 likes this.

post #48 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I've finally found some time (moving ain't no fun!) to tweak the fitment on our product. Specifically I needed to adjust the way it attaches to the stock center console. Here is a picture of the latest prototype. We attempted to add some suede but it needs some work. I am now getting it quoted and will get timing sorted.

I dig it!
shinoo likes this.
post #49 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Looking good Shinoo - excited to see your final version 👍
shinoo likes this.
post #50 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:00 PM

A ShiftR111 is next on my shopping list in a few months time, so this would be a neat addition, but for me, only if it was available in RHD! It would also would be nice with the hazard button blanked out as mine is in the dash, not on the console (was that a federal thing?).
I wonder if carbon would give the best look seeing as it kind of neutral in terms of colour matching. Not sure if I like the idea of suede or alcantara as my euro dash top is light grey alcantara so it would clash.
Just some thoughts from a potential non-US customer!
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:20 PM

I have the shiftR111 and would definitely get the addition once itís finished
shinoo likes this.

2008 Exige S 240
2010 Toyota FJ TRD
2015 BMW M235 Convertible
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
1978 Toyota FJ40

2008 Beneteau Oceanis 40 Sailboat
1973 Colombia 26 MK11 sailboat
post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sege View Post
A ShiftR111 is next on my shopping list in a few months time, so this would be a neat addition, but for me, only if it was available in RHD! It would also would be nice with the hazard button blanked out as mine is in the dash, not on the console (was that a federal thing?).
I wonder if carbon would give the best look seeing as it kind of neutral in terms of colour matching. Not sure if I like the idea of suede or alcantara as my euro dash top is light grey alcantara so it would clash.
Just some thoughts from a potential non-US customer!
Initially we will probably stock with the Fed cars. If there is enough demand from other markets, we will look at it.
sege likes this.

post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 09:59 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
We have 3D printed one design to test fit and confirm a couple of assumptions. It looks good.

Various finishes are possible. Our part will be paintable or should be coverable with leather/alcantara. We will also make it in CF if the demand is there. We carved up the stock console with this idea to keep the overall cost lower. Stock consoles are pretty cheap ~$60.

I have been driving it around to see how it looks. It gives a cleaner more tidy look than when just naked - somewhat like a bikini vs nude.

More pix to come as we get this one fully installed and painted.
The cut up console looks like... the console has been cut up. I don't think it would ever look nicely finished if the process is to modify the stock console. To be brutally honest, it looks like a hack job to me. For the work involved in fabricating this new open front end, why not just redesign and sell the entire console with a nice, flowing one piece design? Forget about trying to emulate the newer open console from the factory, we can all buy one of those already.
forkmeupscotty and Papillon like this.
post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Here is the same prototype that has been repainted and added the the CF center console that we've installed on our 111RS Spyder. It looks great. Production parts are still planned but getting this Spyder done has taken many resources!!!!
Attached Images

post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:07 PM

I'm not a potential customer, but I will say that it looks really cool. Well done!
shinoo likes this.

2009 Saffron Elise
1986 Toyota Tercel - RIP Oct 20/2012
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM

Garage
I like the look of this! Maybe I missed it in the thread, but how will this be mounted on leather wrapped consoles?

Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal-44 View Post
I like the look of this! Maybe I missed it in the thread, but how will this be mounted on leather wrapped consoles?
It will mount the same way - with or without leather. The issue is cutting the side windows into the console. You will have to do that and still be able to wrap the leather into the windows. Not sure how this can be done. I think it may be better to start with a raw plastic console, cut the windows and have it wrapped in leather.

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
It will mount the same way - with or without leather. The issue is cutting the side windows into the console. You will have to do that and still be able to wrap the leather into the windows. Not sure how this can be done. I think it may be better to start with a raw plastic console, cut the windows and have it wrapped in leather.
Thanks for the info.

I would guess that cutting the console hole 1/4 to 1/3 smaller would allow the needed leather to be separated from the console, then go back and cut the remaining 1/4 to 1/3 of the console out. that should leave enough to leather to wrap around the edge of the new hole and glueit on the other side. I haven't peeled the leather off a console, so I don't know exactly how well bonded it is, but a little carefully applied heat should make it a bit easier.
shinoo likes this.

Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

The tooling has been officially kicked off...we should have parts within 4-6 weeks.
REKIII likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > InoKinetic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in