Monolites Are Coming - Get Your Deposit in Place Now! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shinoo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Monolites Are Coming - Get Your Deposit in Place Now!

We are planning on ordering more Monolites. We are requesting that those of you who want a set to place a small refundable deposit. This will confirm a set for you in the color of your choice. The price will also go up once they are in stock and this will reserve yours are a lower price.

The Monolites are made in Japan and are arguably the best wheels ever made for the S2 2ZZGE powered cars. But then again, I am a bit biased. We have clients who swear by them since 2007. Forged for strength and lightweight. The fitment is perfect with no need for spacers or centering rings.

Get your REFUNDABLE deposit placed: HERE
Attached Images

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:32 PM

This is such good news! Not for me, but for others who have entertained getting these. I searched and waited for a used set to come along, and finally found a set looking for a new home. The loss in unsprung weight is very noticeable..you feel it the moment you start driving. These wheels are worth the investment, IMO.
Attached Images

"In general, the Elise will be kept in best operating condition by regular use."
Page 152 Lotus Elise owner's manual
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:57 PM

$2900 or $3400?

also, do you have a picture of the gun metal?

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Aspen WhiteYellow Star shield
2008 Mercedes G500 Black
2014 BMW i3 Rex White

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:28 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
$2900 or $3400?

With sales tax I doubt they'll be $2900. Mine were $3239 with sales tax 6 years ago. Before tax they were $2999.99. I don't think they've gotten any cheaper.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
$2900 or $3400?

$2900+tax now and then the price goes up to $3100+tax once they land. We want to give a price break for those who want to get on board now with a $500 deposit - which is refundable if you change your mind at any time.

See the gunmetal attached.
Attached Images

mattjk likes this.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaising View Post
This is such good news! ... The loss in unsprung weight is very noticeable..you feel it the moment you start driving. These wheels are worth the investment, IMO.
Light wheels are really noticeable on these cars. Thanks for posting your comments as it good for others to hear from someone other than the guy selling them!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:00 AM

Garage
Nice! These will fit an Elise with no modifications and I assume they are wider than the base OEM wheels? What tire sizes will these accept? Thanks!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 01:23 PM

Just get me a set of 17 x 8.5 rears please, I know you won't do the 17 x 9, even though they would ROCK!!!!

2006 Exige
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:39 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinoo View Post
$2900+tax now and then the price goes up to $3100+tax once they land. We want to give a price break for those who want to get on board now with a $500 deposit - which is refundable if you change your mind at any time.
That's actually $100 less than a similar pre-order arrangement 6 years ago, so that's an outstanding price. If I didn't already have them, I'd certainly be all over this. Once they land they won't last long, if there are any available at all.

San

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:11 AM

These really are my favorite wheels on the Lotus Elise and Exige, slightly edging-out the 240R wheel, so I have both.

And for those that might deviate a bit from the norm, 17/17 works fantastic, and is very easy fitment.
Attached Images

2006 Exige
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
These really are my favorite wheels on the Lotus Elise and Exige, slightly edging-out the 240R wheel, so I have both.

And for those that might deviate a bit from the norm, 17/17 works fantastic, and is very easy fitment.
Thx Andrew. It may be possible for us to actually order 17" front wheels with better width and offset (17x7 ET24 or other). We would need to order at least 10. Are there enough fans of 17" wheels at the front?

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Thx Andrew. It may be possible for us to actually order 17" front wheels with better width and offset (17x7 ET24 or other). We would need to order at least 10. Are there enough fans of 17" wheels at the front?
That would fit the common 205/40 much better. Now just get me a set of 17 x 8.5's for the rear!!

2006 Exige
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 AM

Garage
@shinoo i already have my deposit in but i'd be in for a 17" front

2008 Exige S240 Arctic Silver #119/164
2018 Tesla Model X 100D
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray101381 View Post
@shinoo i already have my deposit in but i'd be in for a 17" front
OK, but honestly, there is not enough demand.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
OK, but honestly, there is not enough demand.
Agree, the 17" front make the rears look like 16". but I would be interested in 17" x 8.5" rear if there's a chance of making that happen.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 08:14 PM
The Enforcer

VisualEchos primarily chooses wheels for their aesthetic appeal. He is fine with a heavier wheel that looks good, the XXRs being a good example. https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91...-combo-372370/

The 17/17 front/rear RAC Monolites likely appeal to him for the symmetry and stance. His choices are usually for looks, and mine are for light weight. Coincidentally we both like the RACs. I know he has at least 3 sets of wheels, because they all have visual advantages in different settings.

The 17s in front will be heavier, and the tires will be heavier as well. Given the extra weight (primarily the tires) is at the outermost point of rotation, I would frown on this setup. I suspect the symmetry and the stance of the 17/17 setup is why VisualEchos likes this setup. I also suspect the extra width (front and rear) is for an appealing image, not extra traction, as he admits he doesn't really drive the car aggressively.

@VisualEchos It sounds like if you can persuade enough people (with photography) to go for the 17/17 front/rear combination, Shinoo can make it happen. I think there may be enough people that are more interested in looks to make that possible. Most will opt for the 16/17 setup, but your XXR thread proves some aren't as concerned about weight. I'm assuming you want the extra width in the rear for appearances, and not because you're out of traction in the rear, right? If I've misspoken in this thread with regards to the reasons for your wheel choices please correct me.

@shinoo Is the 10 sets of a particular size requirement a minimum order quantity because of the setup/tooling etc. or is it a container space issue? I assume you won't have any trouble with the normal 16/17 demand.

San

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 07:03 AM

I chose the 17/17 Monolite several reasons.

First, if I'm going to pay $3000 for a set of wheels I'd prefer that the design of all 4 was the same. It always bugged me that the front 16" Monolite looked quite different, and a lot less elegant than the 17" rear. But if you're buying these wheels just for weight/strength, then I'm sure this won't bother you.

Second, I've always disliked the 16" front wheel on the Lotus because it makes the front tire looks like a balloon. And if you correct that with a shorter tire you end up with terrible tire/fender gap. And if you correct that with lowering you'll bottom the front out on just about anything. Fortunately for me I don't track my car, so the simplest solution was to take up that space with wheel instead of tire. I have experimented with 16/17 and all manner of tires, and 17/18 as well, just to see, and the 17/17 definitely works best to my eye.

Third, I prefer high quality, lightweight wheels. I don't always choose those things because I'm a photographer and like to give my car different looks for different seasons/backgrounds (I have 4 sets at present), but I'm so easy on tires and wheels I can run anything and get away with it. But out of all the wheels I've ever had, the Monolite takes the prize for quality and lightness for sure, absolutely stunning.

Lastly, the super light 17 x 8 +31 and particular design of the wheel is PERFECT for the front of the Lotus IMO. You can literally run a 195/205/215 or even a 225 and get away with it. Beyond that, it'll fit any brakes in the world without a spacer. It's just a bonus that you don't have to feel bad about the weight because they are so damn light.

And yes, I want 17 x 9 +32 for the rear because that's flawless fitment for aesthetics, making a 235/245 and 255 easily possible. I spoke with Shinoo about it and it's impossible at any price, but he said that 17 x 8.5 would be possible if enough people wanted it.

So, if it had it my way, sets of the below sizes would be available...

Front: 17 x 8 +31
Rear: 17 x 8.5 +31

Knowing me, I'd probably buy 4 of the 17 x 8.5 and run a 215/40 and 245/40 .

2006 Exige
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

I am a wheel snob with a great deal of experience with wheels for the 111 platform. I have imported, tested and sold more varieties of wheels for these cars than anyone in the world. Really. Here's a list: BBS, Rays, Toybox, SJR, Kodiak, SSR, PB Racing, TD, Monolites, stellaCORSE, ETHOS.

I place my priorities on wheel selection as follows: 1. Performance, 2. Quality, 3. Styling, 4. Price

1. Performance: I consider the fitment as most critical. This includes: Diameter, Width, PCD, Offset, Hub-centric, Weight and Strength. I won't put a wheel on my car that is heavier than stock. In fact, I look for lighter wheels - especially at the front for steering feel. I won't put a wheel on my street car that requires a spacer or center ring. I am open to spacers on race cars for various tire fitment, etc. We deliberately choose specific offsets based on performance on the track and street. We have widened the front track more than the rear in an effort to dial out understeer. Some of these items are very nuanced and not something that everyone will pick up on or 'feel'.

2. Quality: There are some very good manufacturers all over the world. Some of the best aftermarket wheels for our cars come from Japan (Monolites, stellaCORSE, Toybox, BBS, etc). But our ETHOS come from China - built by a high quality supplier who builds OE Camaro wheels. They are superb and a great value. I look for wheels that are JWL or VIA tested in an effort to determine quality. Wheels can be cast, low pressure cast, or forged. Each of these processes deliver benefits and have disadvantages.

3. Styling: This is personal taste. I styled the stellaCORSE wheels with my friend Neil and feel I know a thing or two about what looks good on a 111. I like 16" wheels at the front of the car from a proportion and performance perspective. I feel that wheel size reflects the shape and 'weight' distribution of the car and the 16" front and 17" rear looks 'right' to me. I don't really care how good a wheel looks if it violates #1 or 2 above. The current 17" Monolite wheel used at the front, does not meet my requirements.

4. Price: We have sold wheels at many different price points over the years. I would suggest that the SSRs and ETHOS wheels have been the best value on the market. But nothing beats the Monolites in pure performance - though the price is high. I would rather stick with stock than violate #1 & 2 above for a cheap set of wheels.

You can disagree with my priorities and that's OK. It is your car and you get to have fun the way you want. I'm a driver who gets a great deal of pleasure on how a car feels when I drive it in the back roads and tracks. Pushing a car close to its limits is important to me so I prioritize differently from those who don't. It's your car, do what you like. Just understand there are trade-offs...

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post

@shinoo Is the 10 sets of a particular size requirement a minimum order quantity because of the setup/tooling etc. or is it a container space issue? I assume you won't have any trouble with the normal 16/17 demand.

San
Any change in size requires Engineering and Testing. These wheels are JWL & VIA tested. This is destructive testing so we lose wheels that add to our cost.

20 wheels is the minimum of each new size. I think a wider 17" wheel for the rear has more demand that the 17" front. But given enough interest, we will make it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendor Member Section > InoKinetic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in