1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

shiftR111 Developments

Two things to announce:
  1. Next Batch of shiftR111s in Production
  2. New Lift Tube Design

Next Batch of shiftR111s in Production - New Color Combo!

We are almost sold out of the current batch of shiftR111s. If you like this color combination, please order now as we don't plan to make this color combination again.

The new color will be all silver but we may offer an option to have the Crossgate mechanism in the following colors: Silver, Red or Gold. This part is currently Gold. We will probably have a few parts made in these colors on a first come first served basis. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

New Lift Tube Design:

We have developed a reverse lift tube of our own design for the shiftR111. We originally designed our kit to work with the factory lift tube from an '05-06 car. Later model cars and Evora owners needed to purchase the factory lift tubes to fit our shiftR111. Getting these parts from Lotus has been a challenge for some.

We have gone through about 5 designs - three of which we 3D printed and test fit. We found things to improve each time. .

I like it for these reasons:
  1. Provides more adjustment for the reverse cable
  2. Attaches to the reverse cable easily
  3. Looks cool - IMHO
  4. Compatible for anyone with a shiftR111

This final version seems to hit a sweet spot. You can run it naked or with a stock shift boot and center console. It is in production now and will be silver in color. We will make it available for purchase separately. It will become standard on our Evora shiftR111s.
Attached Images

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:04 PM

Neat changes. I have a 2010 exige and have your shifter sitting in the box awaiting a winter install (nothing much to do in WI winters so we take apart our cars). Am I understanding that I will either have to buy the 05/06 lotus lift tube or buy your new design to make my shifter work?

Let me know so I can make a decision on the correct parts.

Thanks!

2010 Lotus Exige S240
2001 BMW M5
2017 Ford Raptor
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (wife-mobile)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by REKIII View Post
Neat changes. I have a 2010 exige and have your shifter sitting in the box awaiting a winter install (nothing much to do in WI winters so we take apart our cars). Am I understanding that I will either have to buy the 05/06 lotus lift tube or buy your new design to make my shifter work?
Yes, I would suggest you get our Lifttube as it will be a bit cheaper with better integration. Go with the factory bits only if you prefer to keep your car looking stock. Don't hesitate to call me with any questions.

I lived in MN during the 90s so I remember those winters...

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 05:07 AM

Hey Shinoo My shifter is getting squeaky. Is there a lubricant to use or some maintenance that needs to be done on it?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 AM

When will the new lift tube be available on the site?

2010 Lotus Exige S240
2001 BMW M5
2017 Ford Raptor
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (wife-mobile)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xianzai View Post
Hey Shinoo My shifter is getting squeaky. Is there a lubricant to use or some maintenance that needs to be done on it?
Where are the squeaks coming from? None of the bearings need additional lubrication.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by REKIII View Post
When will the new lift tube be available on the site?
They are in production now and expected next week. They should be available late next week.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Our new lift tubes are in stock. Get them: HERE

They look and feel great.
Attached Images

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:08 PM

I received my new lift tube (silver), looks good. I also received a replacement cross gate spring, which I wasn't expecting, and installation instructions for the spring and lift tube (by eMail). As usual, the instructions are clear and well detailed, but I haven't seen any mention here about the new spring. Apparently it's stiffer than the original spring? Is this spring the new standard part? Is the change just to add stiffness to the center-return mechanism, or was there some other reason for the change?

TIA, -Ed

-Ed
'08 Arctic Silver Exige S240
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
I received my new lift tube (silver), looks good. I also received a replacement cross gate spring, which I wasn't expecting, and installation instructions for the spring and lift tube (by eMail). As usual, the instructions are clear and well detailed, but I haven't seen any mention here about the new spring. Apparently it's stiffer than the original spring? Is this spring the new standard part? Is the change just to add stiffness to the center-return mechanism, or was there some other reason for the change?

TIA, -Ed
Ed,

Yes, the heavier spring was a new development that improves the center return action when in neutral. It also helps dampen the throw and makes an ever-so-slight improvement in feel. Some clients who have tried it in my Elise at WCLM could feel the difference and others could not. I liked it so we had a batch of them made. We are sending out for free when a shiftR111 owner buys anything from our website - otherwise they are available for a penny + shipping: HERE

This spring will be standard on all shiftR111s that are ordered from here on out. A bit of kaizen thanks to feedback from clients. Domo arigato!
Attached Images

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 12:35 PM

I installed the heavier spring, and I agree, it's an improvement. The stronger return-to-center makes it easier to find the 3-4 gate, most notable for me when doing a 5->4 downshift at speed (heel-and-toe, under hard braking, at the track). My thought while installing it was that 4x stiffer might be too stiff, but it really isn't.

Just a couple notes for others doing this upgrade:

The installation directions are good, but when bolting it back together, I found it easier to insert the left side white plastic washer first (before you insert the plastic washer on the right). The left washer space is harder to access, so it's easier to do the harder one first. Also, to get everything lined up, I went back and forth from side to side with the shoulder bolt. First I inserted it from the left side, and shifted the washer around until the bolt passed through the washer and into the tube, then I pulled out the bolt and did the same thing entering from the right side. Rinse and repeat. After the second or third time I was able to get the bolt all the way through to the opposite side (while entering from the right side).

Secondly (but earlier in the installation process), be careful not to struggle too hard while seating the CG mechanism Heim joint onto the gear lever pin. There are two round internal push rings that hold the Heim joint in the CG mechanism, you can see one of them in the photo above (it has 8 outer tabs). I didn't have things lined up quite right, I pushed a little too hard, and the right hand retaining ring popped out into my hand. These aren't reusable so I bought a bag of replacement rings from McMaster-Carr, now I have 99 spares if anyone else needs one (a bag of 100 cost me about $10). No doubt Shinoo would have sent me one if I asked, but I like having spares. Bottom line, unlike me, make sure you get the CG mechanism well situated before you try to get the CG arm seated onto the gear lever pin.

HTH, -Ed

-Ed
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 PM

Regarding the new lift tube, I like how it looks, and the reverse lock-out cable connection is definitely an improvement. My only comment is that on my first drive after installing it, there was a noticeable new "clack" with every shift due to the metal lift tube bouncing against the metal collar that it sits on. This didn't happen with the the stock lift tube because the black plastic "lift tube adapter" contacted the collar. Adding more tension to the cable by raising that collar mostly eliminated the clack, but you can only add so much tension before the lock-out block starts to pivot. It may not be an issue with the console and shift boot in place, but its pretty noticeable with the shifter "naked". You might consider adding a plastic washer between the lift tube and the collar, or maybe there's room for a compression spring at the top of the lift tube, inside the gear knob? Probably easier to find a suitable off-the-shelf plastic washer.

-Ed
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinP View Post
...My only comment is that on my first drive after installing it, there was a noticeable new "clack" with every shift due to the metal lift tube bouncing against the metal collar that it sits on.

... You might consider adding a plastic washer between the lift tube and the collar, or maybe there's room for a compression spring at the top of the lift tube, inside the gear knob? Probably easier to find a suitable off-the-shelf plastic washer.
Ed, thanks for your feedback and suggestions on installing the spring. Felt or plastic washers could reduce that noise - though we did not notice it ourselves. Thanks for noting it.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 12:25 PM

I just bought a 2011 Elise, and like everyone else, hate the shift quality.

I have just ordered the LETSLA. Now getting ready to order the shiftR111, and I have two questions:

Do you have the silver ones available yet?

After I order the $1290 shifter (including the M10 shift knob that I'll need), do I still need to add the $35 re-enforcer? Or is that included with the shifter?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
I just bought a 2011 Elise, and like everyone else, hate the shift quality.

I have just ordered the LETSLA. Now getting ready to order the shiftR111, and I have two questions:

Do you have the silver ones available yet?

After I order the $1290 shifter (including the M10 shift knob that I'll need), do I still need to add the $35 re-enforcer? Or is that included with the shifter?
The silver kit won't be ready for another 4-6 weeks. No, you don't really need the re-enforcer. Congrats on getting the Elise - it is an awesome sportscar.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:30 PM

Since I'm going to retain the console, I went ahead and ordered the shifter today- can't wait to install it and the LETSLA.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 PM

IMO, the re-enforcer is a worth while upgrade. Its easier to do while doing the shifter rather than later.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The silver kit won't be ready for another 4-6 weeks. No, you don't really need the re-enforcer. Congrats on getting the Elise - it is an awesome sportscar.
Is there a PDF for the install guide? Wondering if I should tackle this and the cables myself.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstomp06 View Post
Is there a PDF for the install guide? Wondering if I should tackle this and the cables myself.
It takes Intermediate mechanical skills to do this task. We provide detailed instructions and can be called for advice. If you are a beginning mechanic, I would not attempt it.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It takes Intermediate mechanical skills to do this task. We provide detailed instructions and can be called for advice. If you are a beginning mechanic, I would not attempt it.
I can be intermediate if I try...if that makes sense. If i shoot you an email, can you send me a pdf of the instructions? I just want to see the steps involved so I can either tackle it myself or outsource it. It factors into my overall costs and budget. I was quoted at 3k parts and labor for shifter & cables from a reputable shop.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > InoKinetic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in