New 6UL race wheels @ 949 Racing - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 213 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Plug Whisperer
 
turbophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City/ Overland Park
Posts: 6,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
@turbophil do you know of any street tires that will fit on a 15x10? I can only find 275s in hoosiers.
Sure. A 235/50/15 R888 from toyo. It's 24.2" tall. Here's a nice rule of thumb that the specs won't show you on "recommended rim width". Look at the actual tread width. You will not typically be "stretching" a tire or tucking in the sidewall if you stay +/- 1" of the tread measured width. So in this case, you have a 9.2" tread width. A 10" wheel will work well. Pair that rear tire/wheel combo up with a 225/45/15 (23" tall) on the front in a 7 or 8" x 15wheel and you'll be tops.

For the front, run the 7" wheel on the elise and the 8" wheel on the exige due to the exige having a bit more room than the elise.

On both front (7 or 8), you can run our 1/4" spacer and you'll be set.

-Phil


Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

____________________________________________

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice


BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning


Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
turbophil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #142 of 213 (permalink) Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Plug Whisperer
 
turbophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kansas City/ Overland Park
Posts: 6,296
....PS- should probably go without saying, your rears will stick out past the body, so a miata flare, reverie, or widebody setup like ours should be installed...

-Phil


Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

____________________________________________

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice


BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning


Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
turbophil is offline  
post #143 of 213 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 03:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Sure. A 235/50/15 R888 from toyo. It's 24.2" tall. Here's a nice rule of thumb that the specs won't show you on "recommended rim width". Look at the actual tread width. You will not typically be "stretching" a tire or tucking in the sidewall if you stay +/- 1" of the tread measured width. So in this case, you have a 9.2" tread width. A 10" wheel will work well. Pair that rear tire/wheel combo up with a 225/45/15 (23" tall) on the front in a 7 or 8" x 15wheel and you'll be tops.

For the front, run the 7" wheel on the elise and the 8" wheel on the exige due to the exige having a bit more room than the elise.

On both front (7 or 8), you can run our 1/4" spacer and you'll be set.

-Phil
Thanks! That's what I get for only going to tire suppliers sites and not the manufacturers. I was hoping to get to at least a 255 though.

I've been running a 15X8 square this season, but was looking at going to over fenders and jumping to a 15x10.
Silver_Surfer is offline  
 
post #144 of 213 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
949Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41
Thread necro, sorry. We're picking this long dormant project back up. Many changes in our productions resources since the first post in 2011. All of our wheels are now flow formed. After launching a bunch of new 17" fitments recently, we're starting to work our way down our list of target applications. One of those is a very lightweight 15x6 with huge brake clearance for a certain autocross class in 1st/2nd gen Miatas. That particular tool will finally allow us to build a 15x8 with the correct offset and enough brake clearance for AP 2 and 4 pot brakes. At the same time, we already have in production a lightweight 17x8 and 17x9 4x100 wheel for the 2016 "ND" Miata. It's the wrong offset for the 211 platform but being too high, we can easily lower it in post machining. We will try to build a sample set of 15x8 +27(ish) , 17x8 and 17x9 +35 (ish) this February. We have resources locally for testing them. So, this is still many months away from shipping wheels but it is in motion so I wanted to update.

A few potential tire combos to keep rolling diameter stagger in the right zone

F 15x8 205/50/15
R 15x9 225/50/15

F 15x8 205/50/15
R 17x8 225/45/17

F 15x8 205/50/15
R 17x9 245/40/17 or 255/40/17

No plans for 16's for any vehicle at the moment.
Harix likes this.
949Racing is offline  
post #145 of 213 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Registered User
 
LotusCC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Boston, Ma.
Posts: 2,798
I'm sure the costs involved to create a 16" are high, but you'd make the 15/16 track guys happy and the 16/17 street guys happy.

Thanks for updating the thread.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
LotusCC is online now  
post #146 of 213 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
949Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
I'm sure the costs involved to create a 16" are high, but you'd make the 15/16 track guys happy and the 16/17 street guys happy.

Thanks for updating the thread.
It's been a while since I researched it but I think the tire 16" choices in the correct diameters are still very limited. Switch to 15" in the the same outside diameter and you have dozens of compound and width options. 17" for the rear, better options as well. For quite some time 15/17 has been the combo that offers the most ideal tire choices in the correct outside diameters. For us though, it requires entirely new tooling for both. So, the 17" tool was made for the ND and will work perfectly for the 211. The 15" tool we just started on for the NA (early Miata) will work perfectly for the 211 front. I'm excited to see how these turn out.

I probably won't post in this thread much over the next few months until we have the sample wheels. I'll post pics, weights and be able to answer any questions you folks might have then.
949Racing is offline  
post #147 of 213 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
driftwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,980
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949Racing View Post
It's been a while since I researched it but I think the tire 16" choices in the correct diameters are still very limited. Switch to 15" in the the same outside diameter and you have dozens of compound and width options. 17" for the rear, better options as well. For quite some time 15/17 has been the combo that offers the most ideal tire choices in the correct outside diameters. For us though, it requires entirely new tooling for both. So, the 17" tool was made for the ND and will work perfectly for the 211. The 15" tool we just started on for the NA (early Miata) will work perfectly for the 211 front. I'm excited to see how these turn out.

I probably won't post in this thread much over the next few months until we have the sample wheels. I'll post pics, weights and be able to answer any questions you folks might have then.
looking forward to updates... might be a nice way to spend my tax return heading into the 2016 driving season

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
driftwood is offline  
post #148 of 213 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 AM
user /tron
 
RideMooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

looking forward to updates... might be a nice way to spend my tax return heading into the 2016 driving season
Agreed. If these are ready for autocross season, I will definitely buy a 15x8/17x9 set.
RideMooch is offline  
post #149 of 213 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:39 AM
A1 Automotive & Smog
 
Harix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Gabriel, CA
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949Racing View Post
R 17x9 245/40/17 or 255/40/17
With the right offset, it shouldn't rub.

245/40/17 with stock offset, rubs in the inside
Harix is online now  
post #150 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
949Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41
Just how many (percentage?) cars have the 4 pot AP?

I'm under the impression it is very few, that most have the 2 pot. The 4 pot is giving us fits to clear the 15x8 with a shared tool. We can do it with a new tool but that drives the cost up since it would only be used for this one application.
949Racing is offline  
post #151 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 AM
user /tron
 
RideMooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949Racing View Post
Just how many (percentage?) cars have the 4 pot AP?

I'm under the impression it is very few, that most have the 2 pot. The 4 pot is giving us fits to clear the 15x8 with a shared tool. We can do it with a new tool but that drives the cost up since it would only be used for this one application.
It's gotta be a pretty small number with factory 4 pots. IIRC they weren't available until 2008 on the exige and maybe earlier cup cars. As the years went on fewer and fewer cars were made and imported to the US. you can find the numbers on LT somewhere I've seen it, but it is in the couple hundred range.

Found it:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/l.../146442?page=1
RideMooch is offline  
post #152 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 06:20 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 99
I have a street driven 2008 Exige with the AP 4-Pot brakes. Think any of the 17" wheels will fit up front?

2008 GG Exige : 2006 AW Elise
+7 Years and 60K Miles Daily Driving an Elige
OrlandoGT is offline  
post #153 of 213 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
949Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
It's gotta be a pretty small number with factory 4 pots. IIRC they weren't available until 2008 on the exige and maybe earlier cup cars. As the years went on fewer and fewer cars were made and imported to the US. you can find the numbers on LT somewhere I've seen it, but it is in the couple hundred range.

Found it:
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/l.../146442?page=1
Thanks for the resource. I knew it was a small number but that's even less than I thought. Our 15" front will clear the 2 pot but probably not the 4 pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoGT View Post
I have a street driven 2008 Exige with the AP 4-Pot brakes. Think any of the 17" wheels will fit up front?
Nothing we currently offer. We may circle around and review other non-race oriented fitments for the 211 platform once we have our 15/17's shipping.
949Racing is offline  
post #154 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 36
Has anyone tried these wheels yet? Looks like they are for sale now in 4x100 17s. Offset is a little high though at +45 for x8 and x9.
widaman is offline  
post #155 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 04:59 AM
user /tron
 
RideMooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by widaman View Post
Has anyone tried these wheels yet? Looks like they are for sale now in 4x100 17s. Offset is a little high though at +45 for x8 and x9.
What they have for sale now is for the ND Miata. They may work with some spacers, but as far as I know, no one has tried yet - I wish someone would. They say they're still working on the Lotus fitment wheels.
I talked to them in Late January and they said: "949 Racing: Close. Rear tooling is done. Working on the front tool. We hope to have the 211 platform 15" fronts here by Summer 2016"

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
RideMooch is offline  
post #156 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 08:58 AM
Registered User
 
driftwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 1,980
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
What they have for sale now is for the ND Miata. They may work with some spacers, but as far as I know, no one has tried yet - I wish someone would. They say they're still working on the Lotus fitment wheels.
I talked to them in Late January and they said: "949 Racing: Close. Rear tooling is done. Working on the front tool. We hope to have the 211 platform 15" fronts here by Summer 2016"
if those are the offsets for the ND... then they should work with the Elige, but will require around a 10mm spacer to clear (hard to tell without having a rim for reference though since the spoke might be bowed enough to clear the caliper with a smaller spacer)

'05 ST Elise: DHP exhaust, Quantum Zero's, Forge MS radiator, s111 v3 eliminator, s111 DSbrace, ce28n, ic7 dash...
driftwood is offline  
post #157 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
949Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 41
The 17x9 +45 is not intended for the 211 platform. We will use the same tool but different offset. The tool for the 15x8 to clear the 2 pot OEM brake front is still in the works. We will try to time getting one 15x8 front and both 17x8 and 17x9 rear protos made at the same time so we can perform fit testing at our shop. I have not updated here as we are still a ways out. But yes, we are actively working on the 211 platform fitments.
949Racing is offline  
post #158 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:16 AM
nab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Norway
Posts: 15
No plans for 15x6 or 15x7 elise fitment?
nab is offline  
post #159 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949Racing View Post
The 17x9 +45 is not intended for the 211 platform. We will use the same tool but different offset. The tool for the 15x8 to clear the 2 pot OEM brake front is still in the works. We will try to time getting one 15x8 front and both 17x8 and 17x9 rear protos made at the same time so we can perform fit testing at our shop. I have not updated here as we are still a ways out. But yes, we are actively working on the 211 platform fitments.
Nice! We'll be watching out for them!
widaman is offline  
post #160 of 213 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 PM
Registered User
 
Almighty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: purgatory
Posts: 711
Is there any hope for a 17x10? Wishful thinking... I know.

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
Almighty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Vendors > Vendor Deals

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome