ALFA ROMEO STELVIO - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Cool ALFA ROMEO STELVIO

The ride home in the Stelvio (named after the famous pass thru the Alps) was amazing. At barely over 4000 lbs it rides, drives and handles better than most sedans till you enter the true performance zone. Also pretty quick at 0-60 in 5.4 for the BASE motor. IT IS THE SUV piece of art on the market. It has the same ZF 8 speed tranny as my RRS but the shifting logic is best I have ever experienced. I REALLY MEAN IT..THIS VEHICLE HAS RAISED THE BAR JUST LIKE ALL THE REVIEWS ARE SAYING..ALFA HIT ONE OUT OF THE PARK HERE.
Too bad Lotus has taken so long to get their act together because, I for one, have found my sporty SUV.
Go drive one and if the 2.0 at 280 HP (btw most are dynoing at ~300-310) isn't even try a Quadrofoglio!!!! Mama mia

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:57 AM

The wife really wants a Giulia, but, man, they still have new 2017s sitting on lots at huge discounts, and the used ones are coming back to the dealers with super low miles. It just all seems super ominous.
MotoPete likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Not at all.. Little to no advertising and you have the leasing boozos reopening their wallets for the next dip. Guilia is a fantastic machine.. sedans just don't fit my lifestyle. It will embarrass anything german with the SMILE it will put on your face. Its like a LOTUS that way!!!!!! I keep finding myself opening the garage door to look!!! I know an Italian guy that took his to track and WOW!!!
Attached Images

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:44 AM

I was at the Alfa dealer (again...) on Friday and the sales guy said the best looking Stelvio he sold was your color combo - after seeing that pic I can't argue! My wife announced yday that she thought a green one would look good. I showed her this and she actually swooned over it. It's funny considering her reactions/temperament driving to the dealership....

Anyway, I've been shopping for a Giulia for a while. The hang up is my Mini trade but I'm working on selling it. My biggest thing is which Alfa to get. I really want the Giulia but the Stelvio is a better fit as it's easier to get in and out of (when my back is hurting), the back seat is more usable (for the few times a year we'd need it) and obviously the boot is more practical. She said I looked too cramped in the Giulia which is weird considering we have an Elise, an Evora, a Countryman and her A5 isn't exactly huge.

Anyways maybe you can help with the decision. I wanted your thoughts on getting it over the Giulia. Prior to Friday I'd only driven a non sport Stelvio and found it a bit wallowy but the sport I drove on friday felt much more like the Giulia (and amazing for an suv) which now has me more torn. Can my first Alfa be an suv?

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Get a Stelvio Ti Sport. I, too, love the Guilia as I had a 164L back in the 90's. I just am not a sedan guy anymore. If your back is an issue, you may need to compare reg v sport seats. It is the first SUV I have driven that does not drive like one. Its only 4037lbs!!! Lighter than 90+% of the german hardware out there. It is the most excited I have been since a Lotus purchase and I keep opening the garage door to look!!! The color looks truly amazing and the ladies at my office LOVE IT!! Think of it as a tall hatch if that helps and hands down the best looker on the market.

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Admin, can we move this thread to other vehicles.. My bad
Kubera likes this.

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Get a Stelvio Ti Sport. I, too, love the Guilia as I had a 164L back in the 90's. I just am not a sedan guy anymore. If your back is an issue, you may need to compare reg v sport seats. It is the first SUV I have driven that does not drive like one. Its only 4037lbs!!! Lighter than 90+% of the german hardware out there. It is the most excited I have been since a Lotus purchase and I keep opening the garage door to look!!! The color looks truly amazing and the ladies at my office LOVE IT!! Think of it as a tall hatch if that helps and hands down the best looker on the market.

Definitely planning on a Ti Sport on whichever one I go with. The sports seats are definitely better from my (admittedly) brief times in them.

I was truly amazed how well the Ti Sport Stelvio handled, it really doesn't feel like your losing much - if anything over the sedan.

Now to sell that Mini!

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:29 AM
German Reimport

I never rode home IN the Stelvio, but...

Name:  CIMG4088.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  CIMG4084.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  111.8 KB
Kubera likes this.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 04:33 AM

Congrats. Looks beautiful. Similar color to the Elise you had. Any interior pictures?

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 06:02 AM
Less is Better

SUVs... Mainly pointless. A wagon has just as much space, gets better fuel economy, has superior handling, isn't blocking the view of the road for drivers of cars, and isn't as dangerous to get into an accident with for other drivers. If you take your SUV off road, this doesn't apply to you.
glb, Butters and MotoPete like this.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM

Did you test drive the Macan?
Just curious how they compare from a driving experience.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:02 PM
not your dad's puns

Wow the Italians sure have great taste when it comes to rims. Alfas in particular, look fantastic with their Campagnolos.

Those modern phone dials really suit this!

because racecar
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I never rode home IN the Stelvio, but...
I love the Alps. So beautiful.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Think of this as a wagon which will easily outhandle most typical wagons short of a few extreme german barnstormers. Its quicker than most wagons even in base form (0-60 in 5.4) BTW it also got 30mpg highway (492mi/16.4gal) so it gets better mileage than most wagons. In other words who needs a wagon anymore. They'd make them if people would buy them but....Wagons, being so low provide lousy visibility in inclement conditions as tire spray is right at windshield level. Forget blowing snow behind logging trucks in the winter. You guys slow me down. By the sales numbers, looks like the wagon side is losing. The 21st century CUV is really just a hatchback with a lift kit . Nice easy access H point. Less of a rolling Hearse than most wagons appear. Just a different viewpoint.

Hey, if Jeremy Clarkson says it the first SUV he'd ever WANT TO BUY!!! Go drive one, you may be surprised ME73. It is the 21st century.

post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
Did you test drive the Macan?
Just curious how they compare from a driving experience.
As Frank Zappa says "I, for one, care less for them". When a Porsche goes by I have no idea what it is because they all look the same. Germans are not very brave when it comes to style. Weird yes, brave , not so much.
To get a evenly equipped Macan it would be 75-80K in a loaded s or GTS trim. A Quadrofoglio will have a Turbo for breakfast lunch and dinner.

post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

More pics. One of the fleet photo
Attached Images

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Think of this as a wagon which will easily outhandle most typical wagons short of a few extreme german barnstormers. Its quicker than most wagons even in base form (0-60 in 5.4) BTW it also got 30mpg highway (492mi/16.4gal) so it gets better mileage than most wagons. In other words who needs a wagon anymore. They'd make them if people would buy them but....Wagons, being so low provide lousy visibility in inclement conditions as tire spray is right at windshield level. Forget blowing snow behind logging trucks in the winter. You guys slow me down. By the sales numbers, looks like the wagon side is losing. The 21st century CUV is really just a hatchback with a lift kit . Nice easy access H point. Less of a rolling Hearse than most wagons appear. Just a different viewpoint.

Hey, if Jeremy Clarkson says it the first SUV he'd ever WANT TO BUY!!! Go drive one, you may be surprised ME73. It is the 21st century.
I have extensive experience with them. I don't like them as a driver and I don't like to have to share the road with them.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Great performance, nice looks; make it a 2 door coupe - or better yet a cabriolet like the Evoque, and I will buy one.
Attached Images

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna's daddy View Post
Great performance, nice looks; make it a 2 door coupe - or better yet a cabriolet like the Evoque, and I will buy one.
Oh boy, the Evoque. A complete packaging disaster.
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Oh boy, the Evoque. A complete packaging disaster.
Please elaborate; I've had my 2 door since 2012 with all the trimmings, no complaints, relatively good MPG, doesn't have mechanical issues like the G1 Disco, it'll hold Costco runs, and doesn't have 2 doors too many.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in