ALFA ROMEO STELVIO - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna's daddy View Post
Please elaborate; I've had my 2 door since 2012 with all the trimmings, no complaints, relatively good MPG, doesn't have mechanical issues like the G1 Disco, it'll hold Costco runs, and doesn't have 2 doors too many.
I've unloaded luggage, a kid's car seat, and people from an old Impreza and had a very difficult time getting everything into one of those things. Front seat passenger has to move all the way up to fit the car seat that had no problem in the Subaru and luggage stacked to the ceiling where it all sat on the floor. How a vehicle that size can hold so little is amazing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I've unloaded luggage, a kid's car seat, and people from an old Impreza and had a very difficult time getting everything into one of those things. Front seat passenger has to move all the way up to fit the car seat that had no problem in the Subaru and luggage stacked to the ceiling where it all sat on the floor. How a vehicle that size can hold so little is amazing.
You are right across the board, I have the two door Evoque, which makes all of what you've described even more like ingress and egress from an Elige - maybe that's why I don't mind it, and also because I'm at the post children stage of life.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
As Frank Zappa says "I, for one, care less for them". When a Porsche goes by I have no idea what it is because they all look the same. Germans are not very brave when it comes to style. Weird yes, brave , not so much.
To get a evenly equipped Macan it would be 75-80K in a loaded s or GTS trim. A Quadrofoglio will have a Turbo for breakfast lunch and dinner.
I will agree with you on that point. Either the German cars are conservative or weird, not much in the way of beauty.

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I will agree with you on that point. Either the German cars are conservative or weird, not much in the way of beauty.
Plus the venerable four-leaf clover worn by more brutish Alphas.
Attached Images

brgelise likes this.
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

I HAD A 2015 RANGE ROVER EVOQUE DYNAMIC COUPE FOR 15 MONTHS. LOVED THE VEHICLE BUT THE tranny was the worst piece of crap I have ever experienced in the modern era. Unprogrammable Great eye candy though. I wish they would admit their stupidity on this one because my RRS is a PURE DREAM.

Go drive a Quadrofoglio Stelvio and I dare you to come back unimpressed.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather

Last edited by brgelise; 05-30-2018 at 05:25 AM.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I HAD A 2015 RANGE ROVER eEVOQUE DYNAMIC COUPE FOR 15 MONTHS. LOVED THE VEHICLE BUT THE tranny was the worst piece of crap i have ever experienced in the modern era. unprogrammable Great eye candy though. Iwish they would admit their stupidity on this one because my RRS is a PURE DREAM.

Go drive a Quadrofoglio Stelvio and I dare you to come back unimpressed.
A very timely post, today my Evoque's all-terrain selection was engaging the low geared steep descend multiple times on its own - I'm glad Tubular Bells was not playing on the radio simultaneously.
brgelise likes this.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Wait till you see the coupe they are readying for release by fall.. OMG!!!!!!!!! only clue is 641!!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 07:49 PM
Less is Better

post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 05:57 AM

This would be a M car killer.
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 06:35 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
No stick. Slow spiral of the enthusiasts community continues.
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 08:08 AM

Quote:
No stick. Slow spiral of the enthusiasts community continues.
Nor does this other car made by the Fiat Corporation.
Attached Images

brgelise and Turbopun like this.
post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It already is according to Randy Pobst and that was v an M4Comp GTS!! The transmission is a true sweetheart and part of what makes even my tiSport so engaging! THe manual will be revered by the diehards's but unless you want to get blown away by everything out there, it's time to adapt. Many of these new cars rev and are just plain too quick for the box. Reason why racing has been getting away from it for years now. Don't see them living in the past. Don't get me wrong, its still fun, but I've said it a thousand times, if Evora had this tranny or a PDK type unit....I'd own it.

Last edited by brgelise; 05-30-2018 at 05:26 AM.
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
It already is according to Randy Pobst and that was v an M4Comp GTS!! The transmission is a true sweetheart and part of what makes even my tiSport so engaging! THe manual will be revered by the diehards's but unless you want to get blown away by everything out there, it's time to adapt. many of these new cars rev and are jjust plain too quick for the box. Reason why racing has been getting away from it for years now. Don't see them living in the past. Don't get me wrong, its still fun, but I've said it a thousand times, if Evora had this tranny or a PDK type unit....I'd own it.
If I cared about how fast my car could get around the track, I'd definitely want the automatic. But even at the track, I like to work on skills and don't concentrate on being fast. I've driven PDK Porsches on road and track, they are fast, they also lose involvement and connection and I'd never buy one.

I'm happy to be "blown away" by anyone at a stop light (insert inappropriate joke here), there's always a faster car than mine and I'm not interested in a manhood measurement contest. That's for kids and people with something to prove to themselves.

My cars, including the one I drive to work every day, are driven for enjoyment and so they are manual. Clearly, the argument for a manual is lost as the public votes with their wallets, but that doesn't mean it's the right answer for me.

There's really no point in arguing about it. My original comment was just to say that the manual in that car would be more fun and it appears that even you agree with that.
post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

No , actually I don't agree anymore that it is more fun. Banging thru the pedals quicker than I ever dreamed of rowing thru the gears is really a lot of fun. Even on m y Stelvio, 1st gear is so quickthat unless you are staring at the tach, you'll bog . Just let it run full auto after a left foot brake launch and boom 5.2secs. After a few minutes of being a street savage, just click it back to the right and let it do the work. Even if they made a manual, the uptake would be like 5%. They probably will do a limited edition manual at some point if enough interest occurs. Reason Evora IPS units languish on the lots is because the tranny isn't that good and I certainly haven't seen a single one at the track yet to try but I have read enough to know it won't survive well at the track, which is where I drive it to, from and on. There will always be some manuals out there on the lower end of the spectrum but the top shelf vehicles have moved on.

post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
No , actually I don't agree anymore that it is more fun. Banging thru the pedals quicker than I ever dreamed of rowing thru the gears is really a lot of fun. Even on m y Stelvio, 1st gear is so quickthat unless you are staring at the tach, you'll bog . Just let it run full auto after a left foot brake launch and boom 5.2secs. After a few minutes of being a street savage, just click it back to the right and let it do the work. Even if they made a manual, the uptake would be like 5%. They probably will do a limited edition manual at some point if enough interest occurs. Reason Evora IPS units languish on the lots is because the tranny isn't that good and I certainly haven't seen a single one at the track yet to try but I have read enough to know it won't survive well at the track, which is where I drive it to, from and on. There will always be some manuals out there on the lower end of the spectrum but the top shelf vehicles have moved on.
Ahh, the progress argument. The same argument that brings us the autonomous car. Enjoy the future, Mr. Orwell.

I'm happy for you that you enjoy your SUV.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:18 PM
not your dad's puns

Quote:
Enjoy the future, Mr. Orwell.
Enjoy the past, Luddite.

I'm really looking forward to my next vehicle purchase, which will almost certainly be an automatic. Preferably a DCT with paddles, but even German slush boxes are on the table.

because racecar
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
SUVs... Mainly pointless. A wagon has just as much space, gets better fuel economy, has superior handling, isn't blocking the view of the road for drivers of cars, and isn't as dangerous to get into an accident with for other drivers. If you take your SUV off road, this doesn't apply to you.
As a wagon (Subaru Outback, seats barely 5, tows 1500 lbs, has small rear opening) and SUV owner (Dodge Durango, seats 7, tows 6700 lbs, can fit elise rear clam in rear opening), I find your size comparison to be well and truly into the "you must be smoking crack" realm.

It could be that you're intending to make a comparison between a crossover and a wagon.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
The wife really wants a Giulia, but, man, they still have new 2017s sitting on lots at huge discounts, and the used ones are coming back to the dealers with super low miles. It just all seems super ominous.
There's 17 pages worth of reasons for that!

Alfa Romeo Giulia Issues And Problems - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
SUVs... Mainly pointless. A wagon has just as much space, gets better fuel economy, has superior handling, isn't blocking the view of the road for drivers of cars, and isn't as dangerous to get into an accident with for other drivers. If you take your SUV off road, this doesn't apply to you.
I tend to agree, but the market wants what the market wants. Like the manual transmission, wagons (estates) seem to be dying a slow death.

The Stelvio is a very nice bit of kit though, with the Quadrifoglio now holding the Nürburgring SUV record.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Reason Evora IPS units languish on the lots...
I can't speak for other markets, but one of the staff of the Australian importer (SSC) commented to me that approximately 80% of the Evoras they bring in are IPS, which is reflected in the second hand market. For the Evora's target audience here automatic it is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in